U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,409,235 times

Advertisements

Spending like 15 minutes reading this forum I have come to realize that most people say that they hate the Great Lakes Region. Why? Look at Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan.

I'm a born and raised Wisconsin boy, here's my views of the Great Lakes Region. I'm calling it that because thats truly what these states stand for.

Illinois, Flat??? hardly you ever been to Rochelle, Peru or citys in the Northwest part of the state? Beautiful bluffs/hills. I must say this past year I took a drive to Tennessee. Wile driving through Illinois, I've come to realize that there is tons of beautiful views and natural areas. I've stayed in Illinois numerous times and must say I've never had a bad stay there. God Bless you Illinois people for spending money in our state.

Wisconsin, I know I'm from here so I take it easy. The driftless part of the state. That region was untouched by the glaciers in the last Ice Age. Making Huge beautiful bluffs. Then there's Door county, known as the Cape-Cod of the Midwest. Then there is Wisconsin's 15,000 lakes, yes Wisconsin has more lakes than Minnesota. Wisconsin has the highest concentration of Inland lakes in The World. We here is WI never worry about not having enough drinking water. There's plenty to go around.

Minnesota, Not to bash you on the amount of lakes. Sorry bud. I must say whether its the Twin Cities or Minnesota woods. I love this state. The boundary waters are truly a god given gift. Those waters are something else. You feel as if your in a whole different world. What about Rainy Lake? Awesome fishing!!

Iowa, Why, why, why do people bash this beautiful state? It's boring to drive through? I don't think that you should judge a state from the view while driving on the interstates. Ever been to Dubuque? Beautiful, the Mississippi River is a true Gem to this River City. Then there's Dyersville. The Ertl Muesem. I grew up with all Ertl toys. Then there's Davenport and Des Moines, both very beautiful cities.

Michigan, BEAUTIFUL!!! I would like to correct anyone that say's the Midwest is flat by stating that Michigan has a Mountain Range. The Porcupine Mountains. What about Mackinac Isle? What about the dunes on Lake Michigan.

I didn't mean to spend 15 minutes writing this but I think people need to visit these beautiful states and see what's really here. Or you could visit Florida and see Disney world. WOW!!! Enjoy the natural things.

Thank You!!

Btw. The Great Lakes region has some of the best education systems in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 AM

409 posts, read 1,366,712 times
I couldn't agree more. I was born in the midwest and of all the states I have traveled through, I find Wisconsin to be the most beautiful state I have ever been to. Wisconsin has it all. There are major urban areas in the western and southern part of the state. There are never ending forests in the north. Rolling hills in the west and south west. Bluffs that are hundreds of feet tall along the Mississippi River. Never ending clean lakeshore on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan in the north and the east. And in the extreme southern part of the state, it is flat like Kansas. I find Wisconsin to be extremely underrated for its natural beauty. Thats ok though because most Wisconsinites I know prefer to keep it that way and don't mind if the tourists stay away....

Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,409,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I couldn't agree more. I was born in the midwest and of all the states I have traveled through, I find Wisconsin to be the most beautiful state I have ever been to. Wisconsin has it all. There are major urban areas in the western and southern part of the state. There are never ending forests in the north. Rolling hills in the west and south west. Bluffs that are hundreds of feet tall along the Mississippi River. Never ending clean lakeshore on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan in the north and the east. And in the extreme southern part of the state, it is flat like Kansas. I find Wisconsin to be extremely underrated for its natural beauty. Thats ok though because most Wisconsinites I know prefer to keep it that way and don't mind if the tourists stay away....
Thank you Trabbz! You are right.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,943 times
Ohio is a Great Lakes state and in the midwest, any reason you left it out?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 AM

3,856 posts, read 9,362,237 times
All I can say to outsiders is hands off our great lakes water!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times
I'm from the Great Lakes region. It is beautiful, but not right for everyone. WI in particular has a very strong local culture. A culture that would probably seem very strange and hokey to people from other states. And that's the way I like it. As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad that it's not a good fit for most people. Because I don't want it ever to become like the majority of the country. I love the fact that it's remained unpopular and "lame".

(Granted, cities like Chicago do have that cosmopolitan nature that will appeal to most people. In that case, the brutal weather and bad traffic are what keep people away.)

Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,135,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
All I can say to outsiders is hands off our great lakes water!
100% agree. If you want it so badly come out here. Otherwise, drought or not, hands off.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:08 PM

32,347 posts, read 55,157,123 times
The only people I know who hate the Midwest/ Great Lakes of are the ones from there-the rest of us dont really have an opinion one way or another. At least that's my experience.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,263,301 times
I'm from the Great Lakes region. I was born in Indianapolis and raised in Toledo, Ohio (that's within a few miles of Lake Erie). I do like the water. My city had the cleanest drinking water in all of Ohio. I do hate the weather though. You guys have to understand that cold weather doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I grew up with it and am tired of it myself. I also don't like a lot of the people. I live in Indianapolis right now and if you've ever lived here, you'd know why I don't like a lot of them. Then again, I don't really like Indiana that much. I do like Ohio though and did enjoy growing up there. I will say that the Midwest region has many nice places to visit and beautiful landmarks, but other than that and clean water, it doesn't really appeal to many outsiders (or insiders for that matter). I would never turn my back on it though. It's where I came from and even when I move, I'll always come back to visit.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You guys have to understand that cold weather doesn't appeal to a lot of people. I grew up with it and am tired of it myself. I also don't like a lot of the people. I live in Indianapolis right now and if you've ever lived here, you'd know why I don't like a lot of them. Then again, I don't really like Indiana that much. I do like Ohio though and did enjoy growing up there. I will say that the Midwest region has many nice places to visit and beautiful landmarks, but other than that and clean water, it doesn't really appeal to many outsiders (or insiders for that matter). I would never turn my back on it though. It's where I came from and even when I move, I'll always come back to visit.
Let the shallow, winter weenies leave, clears out the riff-raff and leaves those who truly love the area. And if it doesnt appeal to people, why does the Midwest lay claim to some of the most populous states in the nation? PA (if considered midwest), IL, MI, OH all have high populations, in the top 10 of this country. And while winters here can be harsh, we have some of the best summers in the country. And while others are running the A/C non-stop from April until October in some places, we're here able to hike 15 miles a day, or play street hockey all afternoon w/o fear of heat stroke or the wheels melting into the pavement. No place has perfect weather, in some season or another youre gonna suffer, except maybe in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or