U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:36 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,840,597 times

Advertisements

Depends though. Our housing prices have been turned upside down since our popular trend years ago. I just did a search on realtor.com. To buy a house in Shadyside will cost $300,000+. We have become a very rich/poor city. If a person compares a house under $100,000 in Pittsburgh to a house in the Southeast for under $100,000, it might not be the same. I have family in another city who live in a popular neighborhood. I couldn't find an equal situation in Pittsburgh for the same amount. Living in Pittsburgh has become all about location and what a family can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,840,597 times
Another option are the exurbs. I know a lot of people who are moving an hour or more north of the city for the lower cost.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:31 AM

21,249 posts, read 30,512,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
If you don't plan to buy a house for 1-2 years is it better to settle in a place like Cincinnati or Pittsburgh instead of Raleigh or Nashville (if you work in a nationwide field)? Since the former cities are at the beginning of buzz, I would guess that means that the home prices/ future job growth would be better than the cities that are well into the explosion.
Or look at cities that have counter-intuitively remained relatively flat in terms of property values. Greensboro-Winston Salem NC is one such example in the Southeast, and in the Midwest a city like Indianapolis would be similar.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,579,593 times
Even NYC literally lost 1 million people during the 70s and early 80s. But gaining of course today. But the State still is losing population overall.

Housing prices in sunbelt major cities are rising fast. Just reading other forums. A question on where to find a $150,000 home in Houston brought some neighborhood sugestions. But also a maybe years ago or a Major fixer-upper and smallish.

Seems even the same problems and their own in fast growing cities? Is more just as northern ones. From city debt including pensions to lack of public transportation and overcrowded expressways and infastructure improvements not keeping up.

Northern cities still have neighborhoods where gentrification is spreading toward and into.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 AM

56,926 posts, read 81,260,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Depends though. Our housing prices have been turned upside down since our popular trend years ago. I just did a search on realtor.com. To buy a house in Shadyside will cost $300,000+. We have become a very rich/poor city. If a person compares a house under $100,000 in Pittsburgh to a house in the Southeast for under $100,000, it might not be the same. I have family in another city who live in a popular neighborhood. I couldn't find an equal situation in Pittsburgh for the same amount. Living in Pittsburgh has become all about location and what a family can afford.
Isn't Shadyside one of the nicest parts of Pittsburgh though? So, perhaps you would have to compare accordingly.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Even NYC literally lost 1 million people during the 70s and early 80s. But gaining of course today. But the State still is losing population overall.

Housing prices in sunbelt major cities are rising fast. Just reading other forums. A question on where to find a $150,000 home in Houston brought some neighborhood sugestions. But also a maybe years ago or a Major fixer-upper and smallish.

Seems even the same problems and their own in fast growing cities? Is more just as northern ones. From city debt including pensions to lack of public transportation and overcrowded expressways and infastructure improvements not keeping up.

Northern cities still have neighborhoods where gentrification is spreading toward and into.
Not true about NYS losing people, as it has always been an immigrant gateway state and they help the population from dipping.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM

29,985 posts, read 27,526,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't Shadyside one of the nicest parts of Pittsburgh though? So, perhaps you would have to compare accordingly.
You wouldn't think so if you grew up reading the Fear Street series like I did.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:54 AM

3,269 posts, read 3,259,859 times
Default Is moving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not true about NYS losing people, as it has always been an immigrant gateway state and they help the population from dipping.
Yes, NYC has long been an immigrant gateway but nevertheless was in a terrible down ward slide in overall economic vitality & social health during the 1970's which culminated in the city dropping by over 10% during that decade.
The city-only population dropped by over 800,000 to a figure of slightly over 7,000,000 in the 1980 census.
Since then, however, NYC has recovered on many metrics & is easily at a new record population today.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,790,251 times
This was really helpful. It steers me back to my original thinking about Roanoke area. I think it might be the place to go. Houses and taxes are cheap, health care jobs are available and I'm thinking the property values will appreciate since people looking for lower COL are going to be priced out of Raleigh, Atlanta and Nashville soon enough.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, NYC has long been an immigrant gateway but nevertheless was in a terrible down ward slide in overall economic vitality & social health during the 1970's which culminated in the city dropping by over 10% during that decade.
The city-only population dropped by over 800,000 to a figure of slightly over 7,000,000 in the 1980 census.
Since then, however, NYC has recovered on many metrics & is easily at a new record population today.
I knew that about NYC, but I was just referring to NYS's population. I think people just look at out migration without thinking of immigration or the fact that moving to the suburbs could mean a move to NJ, CT or even PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or