U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,236,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I work in health care and the salary range isn't huge enough to base the move since I find it relative to the COL.
If you work in health care, you might also want to consider cities like Cleveland (Cleveland Clinic) and St. Louis (Barnes-Jewish). St. Louis' housing market also did well for itself in 2016:
Hot St. Louis Housing Market Showed Biggest Growth in U.S., Redfin Reports | News Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:13 PM

56,875 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in Buffalo, I was just replying to the PP about affordable housing in NY. I don't like SW Michigan, too snowy. I was replying to the person who mentioned Columbus bc I was looking there bc of reasons they mentioned and that I can see my family more if I was in that area. I really prefer the SE but like I said, I figured that the prices would be too high for me in Raleigh in 2 years bc of the growth. I think Roanoke is probably the best bet for me.
I didn't mean a list of NY price points, I mean nationwide bc some cities have skewed medians bc of flipping, foreclosure, etc.
Sorry for being confusing.
What about other places in VA along/near I-81, as there may be more options like Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, etc?

Winston-Salem NC, which was mentioned earlier looks like a good option in the Southeast that isn't publicized that much.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-01-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 02:24 PM

1,016 posts, read 647,925 times
While housing values may be lower in Upstate NY cities such as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Utica, the overall tax burden (income, property, sales, etc.) is very high and salaries tend to be much lower than Downstate. Then, if you factor in the depressed economic climate, general lack of interest in economic revitalization, aging population and terrible winter climate, I don't think you're getting much of a deal. However, I'm sure the public schools range from good to excellent overall given the lack of racial diversity.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM

29,973 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Quote:
Milder weather is a goal for me so Roanoke appears (I think?) to be the best option for
Affordable housing and taxes
Safe
Access to hospitals
Decent salary and jobs in health and customer service industry
Traffic
Weather / natural disasters

I think it's lacking in
Culture
Water/beach access
Attracting highly educated people during their working years so it's unlikely to explode like Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc

Tbh, I'm not really looking for a place where I'm going to make a lot of money. I'm looking for a safe, affordable area that I can make a decent living without fearing that I'm going to get priced out. I'm ok with that.
You should look into places like Greensboro, NC, Winston-Salem, NC, Greenville, SC, Columbia, SC, Augusta, GA, Birmingham, AL, Knoxville, TN, Chattanooga, TN, Little Rock, AR, Tallahassee, FL, etc.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
While housing values may be lower in Upstate NY cities such as Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Utica, the overall tax burden (income, property, sales, etc.) is very high and salaries tend to be much lower than Downstate. Then, if you factor in the depressed economic climate, general lack of interest in economic revitalization, aging population and terrible winter climate, I don't think you're getting much of a deal. However, I'm sure the public schools range from good to excellent overall given the lack of racial diversity.
Cost of living in these areas are much lower than Downstate and are on par with Southern areas, if not a little lower even with the higher tax rates(key word). Salaries are actually on par or even higher than many areas with a similar cost of living.

Also, it is incorrect about an interest in economic development, as there is evidence of revitalization in parts of these cities, some actual job announcements and there are multiple cities with median ages in the late 20's/early 30's. There are definitely issues, but it isn't all negative either.

Another thing is that the cities are actually very diverse and select suburban neighborhoods can be as well and still have good schools. So, I don't think you know what you are completely talking about.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You should look into places like Greensboro, NC, Winston-Salem, NC, Greenville, SC, Columbia, SC, Augusta, GA, Birmingham, AL, Knoxville, TN, Chattanooga, TN, Little Rock, AR, Tallahassee, FL, etc.
Along with these suggestions, I wonder if an area like Wilmington DE would also work....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or