U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,170,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Sounds like the area I live in now. Are your new residents obnoxious pompous bags too?
To others no. But according to the Sheriff, he's had to add on more deputies due to late night verbal marital disputes. We have nearly no crime to speak of in this county of 25k. Even though many of the farms are gone it still has it's rural characteristics. We've had a few developers try to put in multi-house subdivisions where farms used to be, nearly all of them failed. It's just mid to upper mid class, right, conservative, gun carrying, mind your own business, quiet county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times
To the OP's question: No

Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
No way I could do it. I couldn't live in a small city either. Way too many people in your business.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 AM

15,128 posts, read 31,485,541 times
My county isn't technically part of a metro area, but I can be within two different metros in 35 minutes.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 AM

4,306 posts, read 2,543,789 times
Great in the summer when we can play on the lake or in the woods all day. Boring if you need to shop or any amenities whatsoever.

Edited to add: I guess I'm considered a micro area. My bad.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:39 AM

352 posts, read 552,581 times
I grew up in a rural area and like 99% of my peers I couldn't wait until I was "grown" to get the hell away. But a surprising lot of people still move back to the little town that was the center of the area when they retire. My sister went back to take care of our father when his health started to fail and found she like it so much that she decided to stay. She still keeps her house in the city though.

I can see the appeal if you like hunting and fishing. Plus get to be around people you've known your whole life and probably love.

And, despite that "walkability" is supposed to be what makes urban living urban, nothing is more walkable than a small town. Whatever amenities they might have are all super convenient.

But like someone else said, a lot of people in your business.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,159,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I grew up in a rural area and like 99% of my peers I couldn't wait until I was "grown" to get the hell away. But a surprising lot of people still move back to the little town that was the center of the area when they retire. My sister went back to take care of our father when his health started to fail and found she like it so much that she decided to stay. She still keeps her house in the city though.

I can see the appeal if you like hunting and fishing. Plus get to be around people you've known your whole life and probably love.

And, despite that "walkability" is supposed to be what makes urban living urban, nothing is more walkable than a small town. Whatever amenities they might have are all super convenient.

But like someone else said, a lot of people in your business.
Why are a lot of people in your business? And is that really such a big deal or such a bad thing? I'm one of those people who doesn't care what other people think about me either way, and I enjoy talking about the personal aspects of my life anyway (as I do on these forums lol). And I don't care if everyone in town knows I'm gay.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:16 PM

25,140 posts, read 24,023,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Why are a lot of people in your business? And is that really such a big deal or such a bad thing? I'm one of those people who doesn't care what other people think about me either way, and I enjoy talking about the personal aspects of my life anyway (as I do on these forums lol). And I don't care if everyone in town knows I'm gay.
It's the speculation and gossip. Why is Mr. Harrison suddenly buying so much toilet paper? Is Mary's daughter Susan getting a little heavy through the middle? The new neighbor has a lot of packages delivered...

Old 02-04-2017, 10:56 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,413,462 times
Is there a map of official "outside" counties cuz I would wanna see one.

I lived in Eastland County, Texas which is 45 minutes east of Taylor County (Abilene) however its not part of Abilene's small metro area. That metro area apparently ends at Callahan County, just west of Eastland County, at least according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilen...ropolitan_area

Eastland County is certainly too far west to be part of DFW but when I lived there, it seems most cities we went to were either Abilene or San Angelo, or Dallas-Fort Worth. I pretty much know I-20 from Abilene, Texas to Arlington, Texas by heart in terms of scenery at this point lol.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,159,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Is there a map of official "outside" counties cuz I would wanna see one.

I lived in Eastland County, Texas which is 45 minutes east of Taylor County (Abilene) however its not part of Abilene's small metro area. That metro area apparently ends at Callahan County, just west of Eastland County, at least according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilen...ropolitan_area

Eastland County is certainly too far west to be part of DFW but when I lived there, it seems most cities we went to were either Abilene or San Angelo, or Dallas-Fort Worth. I pretty much know I-20 from Abilene, Texas to Arlington, Texas by heart in terms of scenery at this point lol.
http://www.census.gov/population/met...ro_Feb2013.pdf

There is the official map as of Feb 2013. Any of the counties that are not colored (white) are not part of a metro or micro area and are considered to be outside counties/areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or