U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 AM

352 posts, read 551,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
http://www.census.gov/population/met...ro_Feb2013.pdf

There is the official map as of Feb 2013. Any of the counties that are not colored (white) are not part of a metro or micro area and are considered to be outside counties/areas.
This map might be technically correct but still too broad. A lot of smaller metropolitan areas include a lot territory that are little town\rural oriented. That may be true too for some of the fringe counties of some large metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:01 AM

352 posts, read 551,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's the speculation and gossip. Why is Mr. Harrison suddenly buying so much toilet paper? Is Mary's daughter Susan getting a little heavy through the middle? The new neighbor has a lot of packages delivered...
... and for some people it can feel kind of claustrophobic living in a town whose population may be smaller than the student body at the college they attended. Then the feeling that it's hard to leave the house without someone noticing where you went, who you were with, etc...

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
http://www.census.gov/population/met...ro_Feb2013.pdf

There is the official map as of Feb 2013. Any of the counties that are not colored (white) are not part of a metro or micro area and are considered to be outside counties/areas.
Yep. Eastland County is coloured white. I personally think it should belong to the Abilene micro area as so many people there actually do travel there on a semi-regular basis whether its for work or shopping or anything like that. Oh well!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,049,362 times
I grew up in an "outside county" (Clarke County, AL). There is not enough money in the world that could convince me to move back up there permanently. Now, that being said, I did enjoy growing up there. There was plenty to do outside, even if it were nothing more than walking through the woods behind my house. We also had a huge community pool that EVERYONE went to in the summer.

However, now that I am grown, I see it as nothing more than a racist little backwater with little to no future. There are no decent job opportunities, no decent schools, the "good ole boy" attitude, systematic racism, no culture (unless you count hunting/fishing as culture), no movie theater, no good restaurants (except for fried foods), and several other things that I could not deal with as an adult.

I would be willing to live in an "outside county" somewhere else, just not the one I grew up in.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:02 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
Over the weekend, I took a drive to an outside county to see what it's like. So I drove 2.5 hours to Greene County, NY. It was a beautiful place with very few people and very little traffic. The only thing that I didn't like was all the Trump signs and Don't Tread on Me signs that are still visible everywhere. Also, the mobile signal strength was terrible or nonexistent in some parts.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM

23,634 posts, read 17,615,071 times
Yes, in rural southwest Virginia.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM

9,859 posts, read 21,158,402 times
Yes. From ages 5 to 11 I lived in a remote part of rural southern Kentucky that was not part of a present day micropolitian area. Once you got to the state highway it was either 15 or 8 miles to the nearest traffic light and any shopping or restaurants. I wouldn't want to live there now but it was a great place to be a kid. My mom and I lived in a trailer that sat on grandparent's 70 acres of fields and forested hills and was a 5 minute walk to four different family members. Mom could let me run around outside all evening and never worry about sex offenders or me being hit by a car. I made my own hiking trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or