U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:34 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,779,173 times

Advertisements

In my case 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I was born and raised in Chicago. My parents lived there until my dad died and my mom moved to LA to be near my sister. I've lived in cities all my life and I'm 71. I'll let you know when I'm too old to live in a city.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
I never wanted to live in a huge metro area and I still don't. I'm 55.

But I have always chosen to live NEAR a big city. Right now I live near Dallas, and have for about 25 years. An hour and a half away suits me fine. Before that, I lived about an hour and a half from Atlanta for 10 years and I liked that too. Close enough to go into the city when I want, for shopping, concerts, exhibits, etc but far enough way not to have to deal with what I consider the negatives that outweigh the positives - traffic, high cost of living, crowds, air that smells like exhaust fumes, etc.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,304,477 times
How can you be too old for a city?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 AM

22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
How can you be too old for a city?
Death'll do it.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
When you have grade school kids.
That is the reality for the vast majority of people.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM

3,296 posts, read 1,647,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I never wanted to live in a huge metro area and I still don't. I'm 55.

But I have always chosen to live NEAR a big city. Right now I live near Dallas, and have for about 25 years. An hour and a half away suits me fine. Before that, I lived about an hour and a half from Atlanta for 10 years and I liked that too. Close enough to go into the city when I want, for shopping, concerts, exhibits, etc but far enough way not to have to deal with what I consider the negatives that outweigh the positives - traffic, high cost of living, crowds, air that smells like exhaust fumes, etc.
BINGO......my thoughts exactly.

Even though I live in the city now and love it, my eventual plans are to move to the suburbs where I have close access to the city, but don't have to deal with the hustle/bustle of city living. I'm living in the city now for convenience to work until I'm ready to buy. I also like the space, greenery, and more laid back lifestyle of the suburbs. The suburbs also offer close access to the city when you want to go in for shopping, restaurants, entertainment. I know people on this site don't like the suburbs, but for me they're the perfect compromise.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,821,431 times
Any age, I'm afraid. Never really had much of a college or "normal" social life and I'm 33. About the only thing I enjoy about the big city are these non-competitive, fun-oriented, bicycle group rides that I started doing when I was 23. I've seen people come and go from those due to the "getting old and growing out" nature of life. But I feel myself and quite a few others have stuck it out and continue to attend like a normal habit.
I've kind of relegated myself to the somewhat quiet, NM town where I am now. But that doesn't stop me from driving out 400+ miles to posted bicycle cruise gatherings in the likes of Denver and Austin. The way I see it, I work and live life in the small towns and cities, and take my vacations in the urban jungles.
Stark contrast to what city folks tend to do.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:01 PM

374 posts, read 345,652 times
Why do people feel the need to be placed in an artificial box?

"I'm to old for city living."

Oh yeah? I guess I'm too alive for the suburbs. I wouldn't even think of raising a family out in the suburbs. I lived it - nothing special about big yards. That's what parks are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or