U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,340,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I love diversity, but you couldn't pay me to live in a place that you just described:

Thats why I have a slight fascination with Texas cities, I love country music, barbeque, but I still like to be in a place that has people from all over the world.

I CAN'T stand people who are elitist toward of look down on country music or barbeque, steak, etc. I would go nuts in a place where people were only into foreign films, foreign music, etc.

Down home American culture is part of diversity too!!!!
Of course. That's why I am glad not everybody is like me But I'd like to be around more people who I can relate to than I am here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM

32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Quote:
I love diversity, but you couldn't pay me to live in a place that you just described:

Thats why I have a slight fascination with Texas cities, I love country music, barbeque, but I still like to be in a place that has people from all over the world.

I CAN'T stand people who are elitist toward of look down on country music or barbeque, steak, etc. I would go nuts in a place where people were only into foreign films, foreign music, etc.

Down home American culture is part of diversity too!!!!
The same snobby and really outdated logic also excludes ghetto areas from being considered "cosmopolitan", however, I consider some hood areas to be among the most cosmopolitan.

The San Antonio District of Oakland has everything from Russian & Tongan Churches to Laotian and Liberian bars and support groups to Guatemalan and Eritrean restaurants and businesses-literally on the same block. I was born and raised in this neighborhood and really was exposed to so much culture and food and art and music from around the world that once I actually ventured out into the world, it seemed that I had a whole education on many of these places without even leaving Oakland.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2002/05/31/ba_oaklandmap.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-04-2008, 10:47 AM

246 posts, read 789,669 times
Quote:
I lived in the DC area for 5 years and have no idea what Terrapin is talking about. Nobody I met was into foreign music or films.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,340,040 times
Anybody else?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,213,204 times
from whait i've seen firsat hand (and i actually go out at night) - ny, boston, phillly, dc, miami, atlanta, la, san fran, san diego,)

never been to texas - dallas, houston or new orleans.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 PM

65 posts, read 271,451 times
seattle baby!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 PM

38 posts, read 213,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Please! The mayor Gavin Newsom doesn't seem to think so. He's in Chicago every other week kissing mayor Daley's ass. Daley the man he has said is the best mayor of our time. Newsom has made it perfectly clear that Chicago is the model he uses when envisioning a 21st. Century San Fran. There have been numerous articles in the S.F. Chronicle discussing S.F's city government and their desire to, and I quote "change San Fran into Chicago". A takes more than a great Asian food scene, a wharf, a huge gay community and a couple of cultural institution to be cosmopolitan. Actually, I put NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and DC at the top, but for you to suggest that San Fran is in the same league as NYC, in anything, is laughable. At least Mayor Newsom seems to think so and he should know
I never said SF was more cosmopolitan than NYC. I agree with you that NY is number 1 going away. I'm not sure what city government has to do with being cosmopolitan. I would agree that Daley is 20x better than Newsome, but I don't see how that relates to this discussion. And come on, the wharf as cosmopolitan? Give me a break!

SF is far more cosmopolitan than Chicago - I'm sorry if you don't agree but it's true. If you look at the Bay Area as a whole vs Chicagoland, the difference is even more drastic. Silicon Valley, Marin, Napa vs. Naperville, Joliet, and Evanston (I like Evanston a lot, but come on....). Not even close!

You honestly believe the average person from Chicago is more cosmopolitan than the average SF resident? I understand you live there, but I don't see how you can honestly feel that way. Now, if you were to limit Chicago to say Lincoln Park/Wicker Park/Loop/Bucktown/Lakeview/Lincoln Square, then you'd have an argument....

Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,135,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
I never said SF was more cosmopolitan than NYC. I agree with you that NY is number 1 going away. I'm not sure what city government has to do with being cosmopolitan. I would agree that Daley is 20x better than Newsome, but I don't see how that relates to this discussion. And come on, the wharf as cosmopolitan? Give me a break!

SF is far more cosmopolitan than Chicago - I'm sorry if you don't agree but it's true. If you look at the Bay Area as a whole vs Chicagoland, the difference is even more drastic. Silicon Valley, Marin, Napa vs. Naperville, Joliet, and Evanston (I like Evanston a lot, but come on....). Not even close!

You honestly believe the average person from Chicago is more cosmopolitan than the average SF resident? I understand you live there, but I don't see how you can honestly feel that way. Now, if you were to limit Chicago to say Lincoln Park/Wicker Park/Loop/Bucktown/Lakeview/Lincoln Square, then you'd have an argument....

I have never really scene an entire metropolitan area be cosmopolitan.

Just the center city. The suburbs are just that: suburbs, be it in New York (sorry Long Island), Chicago (sorry North Shore), or SF (sorry.... whatever names you call them)

Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 PM

38 posts, read 213,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I have never really scene an entire metropolitan area be cosmopolitan.

Just the center city. The suburbs are just that: suburbs, be it in New York (sorry Long Island), Chicago (sorry North Shore), or SF (sorry.... whatever names you call them)
It's a bit hard to describe, but suburbs in the Bay Area aren't really suburbs. Weird, I know. Marin county is pretty cosmopolitan, and Napa Valley (definitely wouldn't consider this area a burb) is pretty cosmopolitan in its own right. I realize the Hamptons aren't NY suburbs, but would you consider that area cosmopolitan? (or is just filthy rich? I'm not sure on that one....).

Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
My brother-in-law used to live in Concord, CA and work in SF. Very suburban, IMO. I think "cosmopolitan" is in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or