U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times

Advertisements

Actually, I wasn't trying to argue that Denver is cosmopolitan. But, here are some statistics about one county in the metro region, to compare with the one county you posted:

Quote:
Races in Denver County, Colorado:

White Non-Hispanic (51.9%)
Hispanic (31.7%)
Other race (15.6%)
Black (11.1%)
Two or more races (3.7%)
American Indian (2.2%)
Vietnamese (0.8%)
It's not as lily white as you think. And since this was published (this is CD's data), Denver County has gone to 50.1% minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 09:21 AM

93 posts, read 218,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Denver? I think most people cannot comprehend the level of diversity that exists here.

Denver Metro
White 1.9 Million
Hispanic 528,000
Asian 86,000

Santa Clara County
White 909,000
Hispanic 473,000
Asian 515,000

Its just not the same.
This is the definition of "cosmopolitan" from dictionary.com

"cos·mo·pol·i·tan /ˌkɒzməˈpɒlɪtn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[koz-muh-pol-i-tn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world. 2.of or characteristic of a cosmopolite. 3.belonging to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world. 4.Botany, Zoology. widely distributed over the globe. –noun 5.a person who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment; citizen of the world; cosmopolite.
[Origin: 1835–45; cosmopolite + -an]

—Related formscos·mo·pol·i·tan·ism, noun
cos·mo·pol·i·tan·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. sophisticated, urbane, worldly.
—Antonyms 1. provincial, parochial."

Under this definition, all the talk of racial/demographic diversity misses the mark. An area can be filled with "citizens of the world" with little bias against people, things, ideas from other areas - even if the area itself is not the "most diverse." In fact, one could imagine a scenario where a highly diverse demographics works against cosmopolitanism, such as where a large part of the population consists of recent working-class immigrants. Such communities tend to be (although are not necessarily) very insular and local w/in their community - i.e. not "worldly" at all. Of course, this is completely understandable given the need for support in adjusting to a new country, but it is not "cosmopolitan."

I would have to add the comment from my experience living in the Bay Area (I was in Berkeley for a year about 9 years ago), that the area certainly suffers from "local, provincial" prejudices in certain ways, although none had to do with race.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,578,414 times
Some people keep bringing up the word "suburban" as if that even matters here. Once again, "cosmopolitan" and "metropolitan" are two different concepts. Stop blending them.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,207,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I wasn't trying to argue that Denver is cosmopolitan. But, here are some statistics about one county in the metro region, to compare with the one county you posted:

It's not as lily white as you think. And since this was published (this is CD's data), Denver County has gone to 50.1% minority.
San Jose did that a long time ago.

What Im trying to say is that racial diversity is not the end all when it comes to being cosmopolitan-but having people from all over the world living together exposes them to each other's culture and thus they become more cosmpolitan as a result.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:46 AM

And as far as this:
Quote:
Races in Denver County, Colorado:

White Non-Hispanic (51.9%)
Hispanic (31.7%)
Other race (15.6%)
Black (11.1%)
Two or more races (3.7%)
American Indian (2.2%)
Vietnamese (0.8%)
Vallejo to San Jose is a very busy 70 mile drive along the 80/880 corridor home to about 3 Million people that pretty much is home to every race and ethnic group in the world.

From North to South:
* signifies a city with 100,000+ residents

Vallejo*

White..............30.4%
Black..............23.3%
Amer. Indian......0.5%
Asian..............23.5%
Pac. Islander.....1.0%
Multiracial..........0.3%
Hispanic..........15.9%

Hercules
White..............23.7%
Black...............18.9%
Amer. Indian.......0.1%
Asian...............42.4%
Pac. Islander......0.5%
Multiracial..........0.2%
Hispanic............10.8%

Pinole
White................48.4%
Black................10.9%
Amer. Indian.......0.4%
Asian.................21.5%
Pac. Islander.........0.3%
Multiracial.............0.3%
Hispanic..............13.8%

Richmond*
White................21.2%
Black................35.6%
Amer. Indian........0.1%
Asian................12.2%
Pac.Islander........0.5%
Multiracial...........0.4%
Hispanic............26.5%

San Pablo
White...............16.2%
Black...............17.9%
Amer. Indian.......0.4%
Asian...............16.2%
Pac.Islander.......0.5%
Multiracial..........0.6%
Hispanic...........44.6%

El Cerrito
White..............53.8%
Black................8.3%
Amer. Indian......0.3%
Asian...............24.3%
Pac. Islander.....0.2%
Multiracial.........0.5%
Hispanic...........7.9%

Albany
White..............57.5%
Black................3.9%
Amer. Indian.......0.3%
Asian...............24.9%
Pac. Islander......0.1%
Multiracial..........0.5%
Hispanic............8.0%

Berkeley*
White...............55.0%
Black...............13.3%
Amer. Indian.......0.3%
Asian...............16.3%
Pac. Islander......0.1%
Multiracial..........0.6%
Hispanic............9.7%

Emeryville
White...............41.6%
Black...............18.9%
Amer. Indian......0.3%
Asian...............25.4%
Pac. Islander......0.2%
Multiracial..........0.4%
Hispanic............9.0%

Oakland*
White...............24.6%
Black...............30.8%
Amer. Indian.......0.2%
Asian...............18.9%
Pac. Islander......0.7%
Multiracial..........0.4%
Hispanic...........22.5%

Alameda
White...............52.5%
Black.................6.0%
Amer. Indian.......0.5%
Asian................26.0%
Pac. Islander.......0.6%
Multiracial...........0.3%
Hispanic..............9.3%

San Leandro
White...............42.3%
Black.................9.6%
Amer. Indian.......0.5%
Asian................22.7%
Pac.Islander.........0.8%
Multiracial............0.2%
Hispanic.............20.1%

Hayward*
White................29.2%
Black.................10.6%
Amer. Indian........0.4%
Asian.................18.7%
Pac. Islander........1.8%
Multiracial............0.5%
Hispanic.............34.2%

Union City
White...................20.4%
Black....................6.5%
Amer. Indian..........0.2%
Asian...................43.0%
Pac. Islander..........0.9%
Multiracial..............0.3%
Hispanic...............24.0%

Newark
White....................40.3%
Black......................4.0%
Amer. Indian............0.3%
Asian.....................21.2%
Pac. Islander...........0.9%
Multiracial...............0.3%
Hispanic................28.6%

Fremont*
White..................41.4%
Black....................3.0%
Amer. Indian..........0.3%
Asian...................36.8%
Pac. Islander..........0.4%
Multiracial..............0.3%
Hispanic...............13.5%

Milpitas
White...............23.8%
Black.................3.3%
Amer. Indian.......0.4%
Asian................51.5%
Pac. Islander.......0.6%
Multiracial...........0.2%
Hispanic...........16.6%

San Jose*
White...............33.7%
Black..................2.0%
Amer. Indian........0.4%
Asian................29.4%
Pac. Islander.......0.5%
Multiracial...........2.2%
Hispanic...........31.7%

Not only that there are dimensions to our diversity that I just havent seen in many other places. The thread below is a perfect example of how evolved things are in this neck of the woods. San Francisco Suburb uses Eminent Domain to block Wal Mart - SkyscraperCity

Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
racial diversity is not the end all when it comes to being cosmopolitan-but having people from all over the world living together exposes them to each other's culture and thus they become more cosmpolitan as a result.
This is a possible outcome, but is by no means the necessary outcome of a highly diverse area. Some studies indicate that diversity can increase distrust of other cultures under certain circumstances. It is a complex issue. See this article from the NY Times Magazine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/ma...idealab-t.html

Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
And as far as this:
Vallejo to San Jose is a very busy 70 mile drive along the 80/880 corridor home to about 3 Million people that pretty much is home to every race and ethnic group in the world.

Anyone can look up the demographics of a particular area/city on this site. The question was not about demographic or racial diversity, but about cosmopolitanism. These are two different concepts and one is not a proxy for the other (i.e. a highly diverse area may be cosmopolitan, but there is nothing to prevent a very non-diverse area from also being cosmopolitan).

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL01 View Post
Anyone can look up the demographics of a particular area/city on this site. The question was not about demographic or racial diversity, but about cosmopolitanism. These are two different concepts and one is not a proxy for the other (i.e. a highly diverse area may be cosmopolitan, but there is nothing to prevent a very non-diverse area from also being cosmopolitan).
but at the same time, let's give credit where its due.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
but at the same time, let's give credit where its due.
I'm not sure what credit you're talking about. The Bay is a very racially diverse area. Most people know that. If that's the credit due, then credit given.

However, my point is that racial demographics don't really address the issue of cosmopolitanism. Theoretically, A very diverse area could be very non-cosmopolitan if all those groups lived next to each other, but isolated themselves within their own community and were biased towards themselves and their own culture. Conversely, you could have a very non-diverse city where the dominant culture was one of "citizens of the world" open to other cultures and not biased toward their own native culture. Moreover, in the real world, as the article I posted above discusses, it is far from clear that there is a linear relationship between increased racial diversity and increased openness/cosmopolitanism.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL01 View Post
I'm not sure what credit you're talking about. The Bay is a very racially diverse area. Most people know that. If that's the credit due, then credit given.

However, my point is that racial demographics don't really address the issue of cosmopolitanism. Theoretically, A very diverse area could be very non-cosmopolitan if all those groups lived next to each other, but isolated themselves within their own community and were biased towards themselves and their own culture. Conversely, you could have a very non-diverse city where the dominant culture was one of "citizens of the world" open to other cultures and not biased toward their own native culture. Moreover, in the real world, as the article I posted above discusses, it is far from clear that there is a linear relationship between increased racial diversity and increased openness/cosmopolitanism.
We're thinking too hard.

Its impossible for such strong racial and ethnic diversity to not have an impact on the daily lives of others. The sheer exposure to other cultures on a daily basis really does make an individual more knowledgable of people much different from themselves.

True, you dont have to be diverse to be cosmopolitan, but having diversity is a huge plus. Any suggestion to the contrary is just plain wrong imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or