U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050

Advertisements

^^^ I don't think there is any city like this in the world. I know people such as you describe, but a city with a large % of such people, I don't think so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
 
Location: San Diego
939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Reputation: 438
sorry to disappoint everyone, but there are truly only 2 cosmopolitan areas in the united states...

manhattan and the city of san francisco. chicago is EXTREMELY borderline cosmopolitan, but only the downtown region.

you can all keep making arguments about diversity, which is important, but lets face it, manhattan and the city of san francisco are global hotspots ACROSS the board and are the only 2 american cities/areas with the big city vibe and high class and cultural mentality.

cities such as los angeles, d.c., boston, miami, houston, seattle, atlanta, etc. are merely international cities with global importance because each of these cities have financial multinational firms that are headquartered in each city which brings many foreigners and some culture into each of these areas.

los angeles is also a somewhat borderline cosmopolitan city but it is missing the big city vibe in a large enough area; it's just consistently dense throughout, but the fact that it's the entertainment hub of the world, all eyes are on LA for pleasure, which gives many parts of the city a glitz and glamour vibe.

cities that are quickly coming up though are dallas, san diego, minneapolis, las vegas, and a few others i don't care to mention.

many once important cities, especially ones surrounding the great lakes, are rusty and shells of their former selves. all power is moving to the south and to the west, because the north east is already established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
Reputation: 2829
Once again: being cosmopolitan has nothing to do with a traditional "city" environment.

God, people are dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
sorry to disappoint everyone, but there are truly only 2 cosmopolitan areas in the united states...

manhattan and the city of san francisco. chicago is EXTREMELY borderline cosmopolitan, but only the downtown region.

you can all keep making arguments about diversity, which is important, but lets face it, manhattan and the city of san francisco are global hotspots ACROSS the board and are the only 2 american cities/areas with the big city vibe and high class and cultural mentality.

cities such as los angeles, d.c., boston, miami, houston, seattle, atlanta, etc. are merely international cities with global importance because each of these cities have financial multinational firms that are headquartered in each city which brings many foreigners and some culture into each of these areas.

los angeles is also a somewhat borderline cosmopolitan city but it is missing the big city vibe in a large enough area; it's just consistently dense throughout, but the fact that it's the entertainment hub of the world, all eyes are on LA for pleasure, which gives many parts of the city a glitz and glamour vibe.

cities that are quickly coming up though are dallas, san diego, minneapolis, las vegas, and a few others i don't care to mention.

many once important cities, especially ones surrounding the great lakes, are rusty and shells of their former selves. all power is moving to the south and to the west, because the north east is already established.
Well let's do it in tiers then
Tier 1 NYC SF LA and Chicago
Tier 2 Houston Wash DC Boston Philly Dallas Seattle Atlanta
Tier 3 Miami Denver Mineapolis Cleveland Baltimore Pittsburgh Detroit
Tier 4 Portland Ore Austin San Antonio Cincinnati Columbus Indianapolis Rochester NY Buffalo NY New Orleans
Tier 5 Phoenix San Diego Orlando Vegas Wichita Omaha Birmingham Raleigh Charlotte etc.
This is kind of like the wold cities formation list that people have mentioned NYC had 12 pts, Chicago and LA had 10, SF had 9, Houston, Dallas, DC and Boston had 6, Atl, Miami, Minneapolis had 4 some cities had NO pts (Vegas, SD, Orlando)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego
939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Once again: being cosmopolitan has nothing to do with a traditional "city" environment.

God, people are dense.
actually, it does whether you like it or not. manhattan and san francisco are the definitions of cosmopolitan because they are compact with all the ingredients for a bustling city of culture and class. that is cosmopolitan. they are the only 2 that fit that. if you're close to cosmopolitan, you're simply a world city. that's the difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: San Diego
939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Well let's do it in tiers then
Tier 1 NYC SF LA and Chicago
Tier 2 Houston Wash DC Boston Philly Dallas Seattle Atlanta
Tier 3 Miami Denver Mineapolis Cleveland Baltimore Pittsburgh Detroit
Tier 4 Portland Ore Austin San Antonio Cincinnati Columbus Indianapolis Rochester NY Buffalo NY New Orleans
Tier 5 Phoenix San Diego Orlando Vegas Wichita Omaha Birmingham Raleigh Charlotte etc.
you want a cosmopolitan city? go to san francisco or the borough of manhattan. that's IT!

if you want to make tiers for cosmopolitan?:

tier 1: Manhattan, SF
tier 2: Los Angeles (borderline 1), Chicago (borderline 1), D.C., Boston (borderline 1), Seattle, Miami (barely), Las Vegas
tier 3: Houston, Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, Minneapolis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Detroit, San Diego, Denver, Austin, San Antonio, New Orleans, Portland, Orlando, Columbus, Cincinnatti, Cleveland, Phoenix, St. Louis
tier 4: whatever i missed on your list, there is no need for 5 tiers. tiers usually are scaled 1 to 4

nightlife, sophistication of the people, bustling financial districts, growing trends and taste for fashion and vanity, attractive city setting, touristy, number of prestigious universities in region, number of young professionals, number of world known city spots, diversity of food and cultures, all in a dense, compacted, and walkable area, typically in downtown/city center and its brim, is what makes a city cosmopolitan, not the fact that it has six million people over 10,000 square miles and is known by everyone because of its oil, NASA, and Medical Center.
HOW CAN I FORGET: the complexity of a cities public transportation system really does factor in a cities walkablility and therefore, better systems bolster a cities cosmopolitan-ness too, so that's very important!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-10-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: reasons for cosmopolitan had to be added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
you want a cosmopolitan city? go to san francisco or the borough of manhattan. that's IT!
Actually you are incorrect, according to the definition, cosmopolitan means A)Common to or representative of all or many parts of the world, not local or national and B) Not bound by by local habits or national predudices and C) characterized by worldly sophistication, fashionable. Nothing to do with "traditional city govt". Twelve cities fit these descriptions, some more so than others among the ten, all of the tier one and two as well as Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego
939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually you are incorrect, according to the definition, cosmopolitan means A)Common to or representative of all or many parts of the world, not local or national and B) Not bound by by local habits or national predudices and C) characterized by worldly sophistication, fashionable. Nothing to do with "traditional city govt". Twelve cities fit these descriptions, some more so than others among the ten, all of the tier one and two as well as Miami.
exactly, some more then others, cuz as a general rule, all major cities have city centers with a lot of international flavor and liberal openmindedness.

so my rankings stand.

ps... i updated my previous post probably before you read it so read it again. i mentioned most of the constituents that lead to a cosmopolitan city... it doesnt invalidate the definition you gave, it just embellishes it!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-10-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: added a ps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
exactly, some more then others, cuz as a general rule, all major cities have city centers with a lot of international flavor and liberal openmindedness.

so my rankings stand.

ps... i updated my previous post probably before you read it so read it again. i mentioned most of the constituents that lead to a cosmopolitan city... it doesnt invalidate the definition you gave, it just embellishes it!
Well you are giving Vegas waaaaaaaay to much credit, casinos and strip clubs do not equal cosmopolitan even if they are fun. Also you are under rating Houston, Dallas, Philly and Atlanta to put them below Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Reputation: 7280
Sorry but SF isn't just this big dreamworld to all foreigners.

Houston is a popular city to many in Africa and Latin America, and its also a huge travel destination to these places.

SF is definatly more known than Houston,but it and NYC aren't the only cosmopolitan places in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top