U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,450,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
sorry to disappoint everyone, but there are truly only 2 cosmopolitan areas in the united states...

manhattan and the city of san francisco. chicago is EXTREMELY borderline cosmopolitan, but only the downtown region.

you can all keep making arguments about diversity, which is important, but lets face it, manhattan and the city of san francisco are global hotspots ACROSS the board and are the only 2 american cities/areas with the big city vibe and high class and cultural mentality.

cities such as los angeles, d.c., boston, miami, houston, seattle, atlanta, etc. are merely international cities with global importance because each of these cities have financial multinational firms that are headquartered in each city which brings many foreigners and some culture into each of these areas.

los angeles is also a somewhat borderline cosmopolitan city but it is missing the big city vibe in a large enough area; it's just consistently dense throughout, but the fact that it's the entertainment hub of the world, all eyes are on LA for pleasure, which gives many parts of the city a glitz and glamour vibe.

cities that are quickly coming up though are dallas, san diego, minneapolis, las vegas, and a few others i don't care to mention.

many once important cities, especially ones surrounding the great lakes, are rusty and shells of their former selves. all power is moving to the south and to the west, because the north east is already established.
I agree with you. I live in LA and would like it to be on the list but it's really not.
It's not in the class with New York or San Francisco for worldliness. Much more provincial than either of those. I think generally a person from San Fran or New York city could be set down in any city in the world at a moments notice and make their way with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of suaveness (suave-ity?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM

939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sorry but SF isn't just this big dreamworld to all foreigners.

Houston is a popular city to many in Africa and Latin America, and its also a huge travel destination to these places.

SF is definatly more known than Houston,but it and NYC aren't the only cosmopolitan places in the U.S.

okay, you know what? you and sweetclimber are right... but according to the definition of cosmopolition as it's meant to be understood would give nyc and san francisco the ideal illustration of cosmopolitans definition.

the only reason i put vegas at 2 is because it gets craploads of visitors which really spices up the vibe of a large enough area to keep people entertained for days on end. and there are a lot of permanent shows and excellent food like houston, but houston lacks the entertainment vibe of vegas.

houston, dallas, atlanta, etc. are all borderline tier 2. they need to work more on their transportation systems and city centers to make them more walkable and fun before they can be tier 2, maybe a couple more years. and vegas is an EXTREME exception to the word, because without downtown fremont and the strip, las vegas is little phoenix!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM

i dont know about anyone else, but to me, you don't have to be a world city to be more cosmopolitan then a world city. can we at least agree on that?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I agree with you. I live in LA and would like it to be on the list but it's really not.
It's not in the class with New York or San Francisco for worldliness. Much more provincial than either of those. I think generally a person from San Fran or New York city could be set down in any city in the world at a moments notice and make their way with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of suaveness (suave-ity?).

exactly! i love LA, but all the fun things in the city are 10 miles or more from each other. hollywood is like half an hour from disneyland which is 15 minutes south of knotts berry farm which is an hour south of six flags which is 40 minutes north of downtown LA which is 30 minutes from venice beach and malibu if you speed. lots of great shopping in LA, like rodeo and south coast plaza which is actually irvine. if all these great things were within or surrounding downtown, it would easily be tier 1, but since you need to sit in a car in traffic to get to each of these places, it's tier 2 at best. still a fun city though, just very very very spread out!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,086,961 times
Have you actually to been the real Vegas, not The Strip and tourist areas? There is no way it is cosmopolitan. The residents are fat rednecks that can't even fit in Chevy Suburbans. They all wear cowboy boots and have those moustaches. They wear cowboy hats.

Now I'm sure upscale areas are different, but the middle class and lower class areas are filled with people like that.

San Diego should definitely be given more credit.

I'm sure we can all agree NYC is number one, but I have to disagree about SF being the only other top tier city. LA and SF tie for second tier, with SF being just slightly higher, but not at the NYC level. Everything is not nearly comparable. Yes, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Boston, etc. are world class cities, but I just don't consider them on the same level as NYC, SF, and LA.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
MakinUpDefinitionz4LifeSD

Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 PM

263 posts, read 732,739 times
Maybe you might want to define the very word. It means to be interactive with and containing many aspects of the international environment. To emulate and redefine yourself and your surroundings in accordance with world interests and culture. To be knowledgeable of as much of the world scene as possible and to share that variety of foreign trends and cultures within your community. In that regard, Los Angeles, where I live, holds its own fairly well and there is so much more to an international alphan economy than perusing the next theme park down the road. Los Angeles, I will admit, is provincial than most in the fact that it continues to set trends that others follow and sort of exists in its own bubble or sphere of conciousness because of that. There isn't much regard for the rest of the world here. Instead of measuring how others affect you as a cosmopolite, look at it the other way. More cosmopolitan locations around the world are affected more by LA than any other city. So, as we don't seem to register with the people here, we create more cosmopolitan interest elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
MakinUpDefinitionz4LifeSD
no, i'm just trying to make the point that cosmopolitan is not synonymous with being a world city. tijuana is a world city but by no regards would i consider it cosmopolitan!

just because a city is internationally recognized for one or more merits does not mean the city itself has a myriad of international flavors!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Have you actually to been the real Vegas, not The Strip and tourist areas? There is no way it is cosmopolitan. The residents are fat rednecks that can't even fit in Chevy Suburbans. They all wear cowboy boots and have those moustaches. They wear cowboy hats.

Now I'm sure upscale areas are different, but the middle class and lower class areas are filled with people like that.

San Diego should definitely be given more credit.

I'm sure we can all agree NYC is number one, but I have to disagree about SF being the only other top tier city. LA and SF tie for second tier, with SF being just slightly higher, but not at the NYC level. Everything is not nearly comparable. Yes, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Boston, etc. are world class cities, but I just don't consider them on the same level as NYC, SF, and LA.
jess, i definitely agree that san diego should be given more credit, but there are a lot of san diego haters on this board for some reason so i avoid being pretentious by upselling the city i live in -- sad truth. with that being said, i do see some cosmopolitan flavor in the san diego city center and its brim, but the haters would disagree.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
New York, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis (yes, really,) Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or