U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Boston, etc. are world class cities, but I just don't consider them on the same level as NYC, SF, and LA.
Curious, how is Chicago NOT on the same level as SF, L.A., NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Curious, how is Chicago NOT on the same level as SF, L.A., NYC?
Clearly, the definition of "cosmopolitan" has evolved from a focus on density to one of coastal snobbery. It really is a dynamic word.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM

939 posts, read 2,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Clearly, the definition of "cosmopolitan" has evolved from a focus on density to one of coastal snobbery. It really is a dynamic word.
krud, cosmopolitan is a byproduct of both of those functions. it's typically a coastal city that is extremely dense (chicago is next to a massive lake, so it's an exception) and extremely diverse (immigrants flee to coastal cities more then anywhere else, and that is why the immigrant populations in both california and new york are so high).

asian, eastern europe, and middle eastern countries have become extremely imperative and pertinent in globalization and immigrants from those countries live predominantly in america's coastal cities. coastal cities aren't landlocked, so therefore, they have no choice but to dense up against their waterfront. landlocked metros spread out in all directions, therefore, bad public transportation systems mount. excellent public transportation systems integrate the people of a city thus, making it more cosmopolitan. all the different cultures mesh in those types of cities, and i'm not talking about being predominantly black and white and hispanic which is what chicago is.

look at the ethnic makeup of the bay area and manhattan and their education credentials and sophistication and their openness to the world and other demographical stats, very cosmopolitan. chicago and los angeles would follow, and if los angeles wasn't so spread out, it would exceed chicago instead of being on the same playing field -- but make it be known that it's evident that los angeles has more of a global influence then chicago and its metro is WAY more diverse! again, there is a difference between being a world city and being cosmopolitan. some are more then others and if i had to rank the top 5, it would be:

1. Manhattan
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Chicago
5. Boston

i don't know why you would think cosmo has a fixed definition anyway. it's meaning is very fluid! especially across countries. being cosmopolitan and being a world city obviously for the most part has a direct correlation. that we can all agree on!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-11-2008 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: added a ranking

Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,097,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
jess, i definitely agree that san diego should be given more credit, but there are a lot of san diego haters on this board for some reason so i avoid being pretentious by upselling the city i live in -- sad truth. with that being said, i do see some cosmopolitan flavor in the san diego city center and its brim, but the haters would disagree.
It's really sad that people don't see that much in San Diego. Little Italy is a really cool area. La Jolla and Coronado have tons of the global/international/trendy feel. Downtown is coming along very nicely.

You think there's SD haters? Damn, you shoulda joined when we had all those NYC vs. LA vs. Chicago threads. NYC won everything and it just turned into an LA bashing thread. I guess enough people were issued warnings, banned, and tons of people sent complaints because some people went way overboard. I'm just glad those threads have been taken care of.

Yeah, people just highly dislike the SoCal lifestyle. Not sure why though.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,573,169 times
Quote:
Yeah, people just highly dislike the SoCal lifestyle. Not sure why though.
All of the beloved cities are in ****ty climates with mostly boring landscapes. They're mad that western cities are fine without having to try so hard. What is New York without the city? A cold, flat swamp.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
All of the beloved cities are in ****ty climates with mostly boring landscapes. They're mad that western cities are fine without having to try so hard. What is New York without the city? A cold, flat swamp.
wow, im shocked. something i 100% agree with you on!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 PM

Seriously...finally there's something NorCalers and SoCalers can agree on.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,463,191 times
How can you compare a giant suburb like LA to "real cities" like New York, Chicago ?

Quote:
Have you actually to been the real Vegas, not The Strip and tourist areas? There is no way it is cosmopolitan. The residents are fat rednecks that can't even fit in Chevy Suburbans. They all wear cowboy boots and have those moustaches. They wear cowboy hats.

Now I'm sure upscale areas are different, but the middle class and lower class areas are filled with people like that.

San Diego should definitely be given more credit.

I'm sure we can all agree NYC is number one, but I have to disagree about SF being the only other top tier city. LA and SF tie for second tier, with SF being just slightly higher, but not at the NYC level. Everything is not nearly comparable. Yes, Chicago, Miami, Houston, Boston, etc. are world class cities, but I just don't consider them on the same level as NYC, SF, and LA.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
How can you compare a giant suburb like LA to "real cities" like New York, Chicago ?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
please explain to me how a city of about 470 square miles that has over 4,000,000 people which is nearly 9,000 people a square mile in an area that has lots of hills, canyons, mountains, valleys and one huge a$$ basin is surburban sprawl? on top of that, it's a city of tourists too, which makes it even denser.

i am convinced people hate on LA more then it deserves to be hated on because it gets all the attention.

if anyone should be mad, it should be us san diegans who are overlooked because of LA. it's where all the cool jobs move to and all the huge southern california events take place there. besides, it's where all the celebrity events are and music/television/movie studios. always fun to visit to see what's being made. going on game shows and talk shows is also a fun and FREE experience. chicago has a white trash and sorority sister talk show people can go to, yawn!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-11-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or