U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,462,990 times

Advertisements

Then explain to me why New York, SF, Chicago are always America's favorite cities and not LA.

What's the best city in America? - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
please explain to me how a city of about 470 square miles that has over 4,000,000 people which is nearly 9,000 people a square mile in an area that has lots of hills, canyons, mountains, valleys and one huge a$$ basin is surburban sprawl? on top of that, it's a city of tourists too, which makes it even denser.

i am convinced people hate on LA more then it deserves to be hated on because it gets all the attention.

if anyone should be mad, it should be us san diegans who are overlooked because of LA. it's where all the cool jobs move to and all the huge southern california events take place there. besides, it's where all the celebrity events are and music/television/movie studios. always fun to visit to see what's being made. going on game shows and talk shows is also a fun and FREE experience. chicago has a white trash and sorority sister talk show people can go to, yawn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 PM

9,466 posts, read 12,309,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What, in your opinion, are the U.S.'s most cosmopolitan cities? By cosmopolitan cities I do not necessarily mean those with a high immigrant population (though that could help), but those where the average, local resident has "cosmopolitan" or "global" tastes in food, music, etc. For example, a place where it wouldn't be unusual for a local-born person to listen to Italian rock or Arabic dance, or where your average person would have broad food tastes, with Ethiopian, Indian, etc. food not seen as unusual at all.
1. New York City
2. San Francisco CA
3. Los Angeles CA
4. Chicago Ill
5. Houston TX
6. Washington/Baltimore
7.Miami FL
8. Seattle WA
9. Boston MA
10. Atlanta GA

Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
Thank god there's another smart person.

BTW, LA has the most millionaires of anywhere in the country, OC is third, SD is fifth.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM

263 posts, read 732,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Then explain to me why New York, SF, Chicago are always America's favorite cities and not LA.
Global tastes in food and music? Los Angeles has the most competitive variety of broadcast music and the only Little Ethiopia in the country. As to the question? Sheer, unbridled jealousy.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM

939 posts, read 2,829,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post

What's the best city in America? - CNN.com

my question to you is, have you ever been to LA? sure, it's huge but that may be an advantage, because there's always something to do, somewhere. you need to take your mind off of inglewood, compton, rosecrans, and all these communities in east LA cuz that doesn't stop the city from being world class. you need to check out bel air, brentwood, malibu, venice beach, manhattan beach, go around santa monica, fun place. cruise beverly hills, westwood, etc. lots of site seeing, probably just as much as new york city without the hype.

LA has a bad reputation because this country is racist against hispanics and they portray LA as an illegal immigrant sanctuary that's making the city run down. people always complain about LA traffic. who cares? just goes to show these people are uncultured and uninteresting if they can't cruise around with friends listening to a long enough music playlist with entertaining music while sitting in the traffic. life is all relative, you do have options, unless you are a boring and uninteresting person, then obviously you won't like LA.

LA has an awesome nightlife, awesome beaches, awesome resorts, awesome theme parks, it has Hollywood, craploads of movie studios, television studios, music studios, it's not hard to find good shopping such as the beverly center, the kodak theatre, rodeo drive, or 40 minutes south to america's most loved luxury mega mall, south coast plaza, located in upscale orange county where there are endless upscale beach communities and no, not everyone is snobby. you can find really fun people to do things with. LA has some of the best mexican food in this country, but i still think my town of san diego has the best overall! LA has a lot of upscale dining. and smog is overrated, it's not that bad. all of the smog blows to the east and gets trapped in riverside since it's landlocked and surrounded by mountains that trap it.

LA is close to other awesome towns such as santa barbara and san diego, two of america's most picturesque and beloved summertime (and even year round for that matter) cities. Also, the history behind LA's motion picture industry is unmatched by the rest of the world. New York and Chicago are known for their skylines, yay for them, i love those cities too, but LA is known for its entertainment and that in my book is good enough! long beach, 15 minutes to the south, has the largest port in america, and the queen mary.....

ride your quads in desert dunes early in the morning before it's hot, go snowboarding on big bear in the afternoon when it gets warm, and go surfing before nightime to see the most awesome sunset in the world off the cliffs of malibu or laguna beach, etc.

for you not to like LA would mean that your scope of interest in life has got to be so small, that i don't see how you can enjoy living anywhere.

you're myopic!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 03-12-2008 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: cuz i felt like adding more

Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
No, please keep going. I loved your post.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's really sad that people don't see that much in San Diego. Little Italy is a really cool area. La Jolla and Coronado have tons of the global/international/trendy feel. Downtown is coming along very nicely.

You think there's SD haters? Damn, you shoulda joined when we had all those NYC vs. LA vs. Chicago threads. NYC won everything and it just turned into an LA bashing thread. I guess enough people were issued warnings, banned, and tons of people sent complaints because some people went way overboard. I'm just glad those threads have been taken care of.

Yeah, people just highly dislike the SoCal lifestyle. Not sure why though.
We only hate South California, we like Norther Cal. Oregon and Washington. And San Diego is not cosmopolitan, not hating, just telling it like it is. It isn't the lifestyle, it is the "I think I am better than you" attitude of alot of people in that area toward any other area of the country that people don't like.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
I think there is a general lack of understanding of the term cosmopolitan.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I think there is a general lack of understanding of the term cosmopolitan.
I completely agree!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,372,303 times
I love LA, don't get me wrong. It is just not as Cosmopolitan as San Francisco to a small degree. In that I think that San Francisco can overshadow it since that are in the same state. LA is very cosmopolitan but SD is not. Not at all IMO. I think of cosmopolitan as a city that people in Europe or Asia know universally for great cuisine, architecture, identity and world influence. LA is missing some of the architecture because of it's relative youth as a city, but it is very strong on influence and cuisine and culture. I think people from other countries probably recognize, NY, LA, SF, DC, and Chicago the most. From here there a dramatic drop off to other well known major cities Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Miami (may be missing some). Think about how many cities you can name in another country like China, England, Australia... Like 1 or 2 for most of them right? On a global scale, not all of our cities are even that large, (San Diego is not that big globally) so why would people know that much about it or spend their money to visit it, other than it is beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or