U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
it is the "I think I am better than you" attitude of alot of people in that area toward any other area of the country that people don't like.
Have you been to either area of California? If you think people [including me] in Southern California think they are the best and Nor Cal is full of humble people you are wrong.

The San Francisco forum is full of post after post justifying why they are the best. There is the "San Francisco richest in USA", "San Francisco tops lifestyle charts", "Bay Area best in technology" and the threads just go on and on. Honestly, I don't see how you could think So Cal people are any different in thinking they are the best compared to SF. Ask any San Francisco resident what they think of their city and they will say "The best in the world" and ask any Los Angeles resident what they think of LA and they will say the same exact thing. What makes So Cal people any different then? It just happens to be when a Nor Cal person says their area has something [with the purpose of making it seem better than another area], no one jumps on the bandwagon of them bragging and having an attitude.

The point is San Francisco is a great city and Los Angeles is a great city. They are both very different and unique and that is part of what makes California so special. A 6 hour drive away or one hour flight and you get to experience an entirely different vibe and culture in each city. I love visiting family in the Bay Area and exploring SF, just like they love coming down here and exploring all So Cal has to offer. Honestly, this whole ranking stuff on the forums is really getting sort of foolish. The entire ranking thing is about saying some places are better than other places and what is the result? Nothing. It isn't like people are going to up and move because their city didn't win the consensus of a city-data thread. At the end of the day, these threads accomplish little other than belittling other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,093,325 times
Yeah, why do people think NorCalers don't brag? They think SF is better than NYC status cities. Everything they say is to make their city seem amazing. I mean, it's a great city, but the people overrate it. The people are quite rude and snobby for a west coast city and the weather sucks.

This is how my list goes.
  1. NYC
  2. NYC
  3. NYC
  4. NYC
  5. NYC
  6. NYC
  7. Tie- SF and LA
  8. Chicago
  9. Boston
  10. Tie- Philadelphia, D.C., Houston, Seattle
  11. Miami
  12. Dallas
  13. Atlanta
  14. Some others I'm forgetting

Last edited by Yac; 03-13-2008 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 PM

583 posts, read 1,139,829 times
1) NYC
2) DC
3) San Francisco
4) LA
5) Chicago
6) Boston
7) Seattle

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,088 times
Hasn't anybody mentioned Scranton yet? I am shocked and horrified that everyone on here is so biased as to not even mention it. It must be a conspiracy--everyone must simply be afraid that the mere mention of Scranton will steal the spotlight from their own sad little cities. Anyway, I will be informing SWB immediately about this atrocity.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM

839 posts, read 2,539,318 times
Default Here is the official World rankings

According to this official world ranking

12 points: London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo
10 points: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore
Beta world cities / major world cities

9 points: San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zürich
8 points: Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, São Paulo
7 points: Moscow, Seoul
Gamma world cities / minor world cities

6 points: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington, D.C.
5 points: Bangkok, Beijing, Montreal, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw
4 points: Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai

Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 PM

87,000 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

6 points: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington, D.C.
4 points: Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai
Atlanta and Minneapolis before Denver? Hmmm

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,093,325 times
I think that list is pretty accurate if you ask me.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

Doesn't this list have to do with how foreign-oriented a city's hinterworld is? I'm not convinced that higher foreign-oriented economic production necessarily equates to cosmopolitan, but maybe it does and Houston is more cosmopolitan than Rome.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 AM

29 posts, read 35,130 times
New York!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:31 AM

263 posts, read 732,870 times
There is no developed 'Hamptons' culture, so comparing that to beach culture and history in Southern (not 'south') California would be fruitless. Enjoy your 'seasons'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or