U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,532,920 times

Advertisements

Over 10 posts deleted.
Everybody please calm down and get back on topic, stop acting like you are 13. There really is no need for all this name calling and bashing.
Yac.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 AM

87,000 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Here are some opinions about Atlanta, from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Atlanta. Seriously. It's a nice town, but goddamn. Compared to most major cities in the U.S. it's quite small and uncultured (at the end of the day, it's still the Deep South), and yet people there really do think it's better than New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris, and Tokyo put together.

_
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Second runner-up goes to Atlanta. I used to live there and really don't get what the fuss is with the place. I don't think there's anything that special about the city, but people talk about it as if it's the world's nexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
A couple of cities:

Atlanta The city has the nerve to call itself the "New York of the South." The city believes that sophistication is slapping up shiny, 65 floor buildings. Traveling in any residential neighborhood in the city, you will soon see that Atlanta is still very much a sleepy, Southern town. When I was in college, I spent a summer completing an internship in Atlanta. My supervisor, a long-time Atlanta resident, described it as being a "large Macon." Granted, that was in the early-90's, but during a recent visit, it had the same unsophisticated, country vibe that I experienced when I spent some time there.

Atlanta needs to stop focusing on building glossy skyscrapers, and more on ameliorating the horrendous traffic congestion and pollution in the metropolitan area, implementing an urban growth boundary (20+ counties in a metro area of a city of less than 400,000 is ridiculous), the city also needs to find some sustainable water sources, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have been to a few major cities and I say Atlanta takes the cake as high and mighty. It has one of the worlds busiest airports and home to Delta and Coca-Cola. I will give Atlanta that, but Atlanta behaves as if it thinks its better than Tokyo, New York, LA or Chicago put together. The city with one of the world's busiest airports doesn't even have a good light rail system. Atlanta likes to brag too much in my opinion and living here myself it feels very overrated. Dallas brags alot(as well as the state of Texas in general), but even without the busiest airport in the world, I think Texas deserves to brag about what it has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Atlanta. If the heads of people in that city get any larger, I worry that they may explode like pinatas! I'll agree with MiamiMan here (that's a first---a Kodak moment for sure!) Atlanta thinks it's so high and mighty because it has some shiny glass office towers surrounded by congested freeways and urban sprawl out the wazoo. They fail to admit that their city accounts for only 9% of the overall metropolitan area population, meaning the other 91% live in sprawl of some sort.
I tend to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,371,888 times
I feel that way too. I think Atlanta contributes a lot more to US culture and African American culture than being globally cosmopolitan. I like it up there, (I live in Florida) but I did not hear much about it when I lived on the west coast. Not to the degree I heard about NY and Chicago.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM

29 posts, read 35,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
There is no developed 'Hamptons' culture, so comparing that to beach culture and history in Southern (not 'south') California would be fruitless. Enjoy your 'seasons'!
So you go to beaches for "culture" and history?

LOL!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,571,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
According to this official world ranking

12 points: London, New York City, Paris, Tokyo
10 points: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore
Beta world cities / major world cities

9 points: San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zürich
8 points: Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, São Paulo
7 points: Moscow, Seoul
Gamma world cities / minor world cities

6 points: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington, D.C.
5 points: Bangkok, Beijing, Montreal, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw
4 points: Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai
This was a list created by some students at an obscure English university. It has no official standing. If you believe it, you're not smart. I'm not judging, just warning.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This was a list created by some students at an obscure English university. It has no official standing. If you believe it, you're not smart. I'm not judging, just warning.
I agree with the list. I think Atlanta should probably knocked out though and Miami moved up with Houston and Dallas

Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM

87,000 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Looking at that list more closely, I see one quite glaring error. Washington, DC on a list of "minor" world cities? For better or for worse, it is the seat of the US government.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It may have been made up by students at an "obscure English University", but almost anyone would agree that that it is pretty accurate. Besides, what would you change, SF gets an awful lot of credit on the list!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Looking at that list more closely, I see one quite glaring error. Washington, DC on a list of "minor" world cities? For better or for worse, it is the seat of the US government.
I just noticed that too...completely absurd isn't it? I mean all those embassies have to account for something! How about the fact that DC holds the most powerful government in the world that constantly affects the world.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM

839 posts, read 2,539,318 times
Smile We are talking anout cosmopolitan not influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I just noticed that too...completely absurd isn't it? I mean all those embassies have to account for something! How about the fact that DC holds the most powerful government in the world that constantly affects the world.
Yes DC has a big effect on the world but that does not make it more Cosmopolitan than a city like New York or Los Angeles. Cosmopolitan more refers to the Diversity and moderness a city has. It refers to the different flavors. Of course it will also mean that the city has almost all of the sports teams. It means that the city has a large presence of all the Arts, Museums, Universities especially prominent ones. Culinary influences are important also.
Here is a short video about one ofthese cities. I think you will see why this is a very cosmopolitan City.

YouTube - Houston, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or