U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It may have been made up by students at an "obscure English University", but almost anyone would agree that that it is pretty accurate. Besides, what would you change, SF gets an awful lot of credit on the list!
I don't live in SF and I do agree that it gets a lot of credit. They rank a city whose biggest industry is tourism (like Las Vegas or Orlando) as a world power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
You were joking, right?
No, are you? I'm not the one basing my beliefs on some book report from a couple Brits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would move DC up to a 12 point city. It is the center of government of the most powerful nation on earth. Philadelphia belongs on the list, too, ahead of Atlanta and Minneapolis. I think Bejing should move up, and Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Sao Paulo should move down.
Just because it is the home of government doesn't make DC cosmopolitan. Are you saying OKC is cosmopolitan because it's a capital?

Philly should definitely be above Atlanta. Atlanta shouldn't be on there. Minneapolis and Miami should move up.

I think Beijing is okay where it is.

If anything, Sao Paulo should move up. Do you know anything about it?

FROM WIKI:
São Paulo is the most ethnically diverse city of Brazil. After the end of the African slave traffic in the country (1850), São Paulo started to replace the African manpower for immigrants in the coffee plantations. The pioneer in this new project was the senator Nicolau Vergueiro, who brought German, Swiss and Portuguese people to work in his own properties.[9]
After the abolition of slavery (1888), São Paulo received large numbers of immigrants, most of them coming from Italy. In 1897, Italians were over half of the city's population. Portuguese, Spaniards, Germans, Jews and Christian Lebanese and Syrians also came in significant numbers. From 1908 to 1950, many Japanese immigrants arrived.[10]In the 1960s, Chinese and Koreans started arriving. In the mid-20th century, many people from the poor Northeast Brazil started to migrate to São Paulo. Nowadays, there is a growing Bolivian community in the city.
As in all of Brazil, people of different ethnicities mix with each other, producing a multi-ethnic society. Today, people of 100 different ethnicities make São Paulo their home.[11] The main communities are:
  • 6 million Italians (including descendants). São Paulo has more people of Italian origin than any other city in the world, outnumbering even Milan and Rome.[12]
  • 3 million Portuguese (including descendants).[13]
  • 3 million Africans (including descendants).
  • 1 million Arabs (including descendants).[14]
  • 400 thousand Germans (including descendants).[15]
  • 326 thousand Japanese (including descendants). It is the largest Japanese population outside of Japan.[16]
  • 120 thousand Chinese (including descendants).[17]
  • 70 thousand Jews (including descendants).[18].
  • 60 thousand Bolivians.[19]
  • 50 thousand Greeks (including descendants).[20]
  • 50 thousand Koreans (including descendants).[21]
Ethnically, São Paulo is made up of 8 million Whites, 2,6 million mixed-race (Pardos), 527 thousand Blacks, 456 thousand Asians and 18 thousand Amerindians.[22]

[edit] Religion

Religion Percentage Number Catholic 68.11% 7,107,261 Protestant 15.94% 1,663,131 No religion 8.97% 936,474 Kardecist 2.75% 286,600 Buddhist 0.65% 67,591 Jewish 0.36% 37,500 Source: IBGE 2000.[23]

[edit] Languages

The Japanese-speaking community of São Paulo live mostly in Liberdade Neighborhood.

As in all Brazil, the language spoken by the vast majority of the population is Portuguese. Due to the large influx of Italian immigrants, the Portuguese spoken in the city has a huge influence from the dialects of the Italian language. The Italian dialects mixed with the countryside Caipira accent of São Paulo; it is believed that São Paulo's way of speaking Portuguese was born in Mooca, a district settled in the early 20th century mainly by people from Naples, southern Italy.[24][25]
Other languages spoken in the city are mainly among the Asian community: Liberdade district is home to the largest Japanese population outside of Japan. Although nowadays most Japanese Brazilians can speak only Portuguese, some of them are still fluent in Japanese. People of Chinese and Korean descent are slightly able to speak their ancestral languages. However, most of the Brazilian-born generations only speak Portuguese.[26]
English and Spanish are taught in most schools, however very few people are really fluent speakers of them.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
The last time I quoted anything even half that lengthly, I got a profile warning for copyright violation.

No, I don't think OKC should be included b/c it is a capital. I didn't think we were discussing OKC's inclusion here. But DC is the capital of the United States, and as many in addition to I have pointed out, has many of the attributes of "cosmopolitan" that we are supposedly talking about on this thread.

The information on Sao Paulo is interesting.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-14-2008 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: change a word

Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
I'd list these cities:

New York City (far above any other US cities)
Chicago
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Arguably:
Seattle
Washington
Houston
Miami
Boston

Rising towards arguably:
Dallas
Atlanta
Philadelphia

Old 03-15-2008, 12:44 AM

263 posts, read 732,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd list these cities:
New York City (far above any other US cities)
not as far as you think, Stamford

Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just because it is the home of government doesn't make DC cosmopolitan. Are you saying OKC is cosmopolitan because it's a capital?

Philly should definitely be above Atlanta. Atlanta shouldn't be on there. Minneapolis and Miami should move up.
If it weren't for the Federal Government, the land that is now D.C. would be suburbs of Baltimore and farms. D.C. is only there for one purpose and only one purpose.

I agree with your rating of Philly; it has a rich history from Colonial times. Atlanta wasn't the major city in the South during Colonial times--it was Charleston, which Atlanta overtook after the Civil War.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If it weren't for the Federal Government, the land that is now D.C. would be suburbs of Baltimore and farms. D.C. is only there for one purpose and only one purpose.

I agree with your rating of Philly; it has a rich history from Colonial times. Atlanta wasn't the major city in the South during Colonial times--it was Charleston, which Atlanta overtook after the Civil War.
Well, DC is the seat of the government, not suburban Baltimore or farm country. Who knows what would have evolved there if it had not been made the seat of government?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,539,933 times
Well if it wasn't for (insert assinine comment here) then, Houston, San Francisco, LA, NYC, Chicago and Boston would not be the city they are today.

DC has more of an international cosmopolitan feel than 95% of the cities in the U.S.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,564 times
Quote:

I think Beijing is okay where it is.

If anything, Sao Paulo should move up. Do you know anything about it?

FROM WIKI:
São Paulo is the most ethnically diverse city of Brazil. After the end of the African slave traffic in the country (1850), São Paulo started to replace the African manpower for immigrants in the coffee plantations. The pioneer in this new project was the senator Nicolau Vergueiro, who brought German, Swiss and Portuguese people to work in his own properties.[9]
After the abolition of slavery (1888), São Paulo received large numbers of immigrants, most of them coming from Italy. In 1897, Italians were over half of the city's population. Portuguese, Spaniards, Germans, Jews and Christian Lebanese and Syrians also came in significant numbers. From 1908 to 1950, many Japanese immigrants arrived.[10]In the 1960s, Chinese and Koreans started arriving. In the mid-20th century, many people from the poor Northeast Brazil started to migrate to São Paulo. Nowadays, there is a growing Bolivian community in the city.
As in all of Brazil, people of different ethnicities mix with each other, producing a multi-ethnic society. Today, people of 100 different ethnicities make São Paulo their home.[11] The main communities are:
  • 6 million Italians (including descendants). São Paulo has more people of Italian origin than any other city in the world, outnumbering even Milan and Rome.[12]
  • 3 million Portuguese (including descendants).[13]
  • 3 million Africans (including descendants).
  • 1 million Arabs (including descendants).[14]
  • 400 thousand Germans (including descendants).[15]
  • 326 thousand Japanese (including descendants). It is the largest Japanese population outside of Japan.[16]
  • 120 thousand Chinese (including descendants).[17]
  • 70 thousand Jews (including descendants).[18].
  • 60 thousand Bolivians.[19]
  • 50 thousand Greeks (including descendants).[20]
  • 50 thousand Koreans (including descendants).[21]
Ethnically, São Paulo is made up of 8 million Whites, 2,6 million mixed-race (Pardos), 527 thousand Blacks, 456 thousand Asians and 18 thousand Amerindians.[22]
These numbers don't even add up. Wikipedia isn't exactly known for accuracy. There are 10 million people in Sao Paulo proper and I believe about 17 million in the metro. Likewise, there are 1 million Italians in Sao Paulo proper and 3 million in the metro. I really don't care to check out the other numbers you cited as I'm not an editor for wikipedia.
However, you are right that Sao Paulo is very racially diverse.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,077 times
Quote:
18Montclair is right.

I think I would add Miami, SD, Seattle, and maybe Chicago, but not Houston.
The definition of cosmopolitan according to Webster is: "A distribution of an organism that is worldwide".

Seeing that Houston is the energy capitol of the planet, has the largest Medical Center in the world with the most foreign visitors anually, and has the 6th largest sea port in the world in foreign tonnage, I would say it's in the top 5 quite easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or