U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,005,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I am directly blaming our nations addiction to oil on Texas and the rest of the gulf coast, which hosts most of the energy cartels and their legions of washington lobbyists (which is orders of magnitude worse than a software monopoly). I am just playing by your rules
Um...it's spread out. The executives live in DFW and the employees are in Houston. ExxonMobil is a good example. For Oxy, change DFW to L.A. and you got your scenario. Same with Chevron and San Francisco.

But Microsoft has always been the oddball, far away from everyone else in Silicon Valley. Standard Oil has been broken up but Microsoft is still in one piece. I think it is in a decline; Vista sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Unfortunately, some people think that anything that isn't on a "coast" is bland and uncosmopolitan. I love Chicago personally and it is the 2nd most important city in the US after NYC. Houston suffers from the same stereotype as Chicago!
Some people think that anything in the West is immaterial. The East has the power and population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,801,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
New York, LA, Chicago, DC, San Fran are probably the main ones...

I'm not sure why someone keeps saying Chicago is too "bland". The geography? That's a strange connection to make with cosmopolitan places.

It's full of culture, just cause it's in the Midwest doesn't change anything.

2nd largest black population in the country, 3rd largest Greek population in the world, largest Swedish population in the country, 2nd largest Mexican population in the country, 3rd largest South Asian population in the country, largest Assryian population in the world, largest Polish population outside Warsaw, 2nd largest Serbian population in the world, 2nd largest Puerto Rican population in the country, one of the largest Italian and Irish populations in the country, largest Pakistani population in the country, 150,000 Bulgarians, 100,000 Romanians, 260,000 Arabs, an estimated 300,000 gays/lesbians, home to improvisiational comedy, one of the top food cities anywhere, numerous world class Universities, 33 Fortune 500 companies in the area, 3rd largest economy in the country, 200 theatre groups, opera, symphony, blues, jazz, gospel, blah, blah, blah...

Just didn't get what you meant by "it's too bland".
For a city as huge and globally important as Chicago,

there are many people, not even blue-collared, but professional people, whos interests sometimes seem to have interests limited to Cubs, Sox, Bears, big-ten football, pizza, Italian beef, and haven't been to places outside Lake Geneva, Wisconsin Dells, Florida, Vegas, and Phoenix.

I am NOT saying this is the majority of people by any means, I'm just saying, some people may observe this and come back with certain impressions.

I'm not a troll picking on Chicago, it is a world class city with immigrants from everywhere, but again immigrant may not necessarily be the only thing. I wonder though if the main reason why Chicago has such a wide range of immigrants is because California and the East Coast are more expensive and have fewer blue-collared opportunities for immigrants who don't have college degrees.

I'm guessing this is partly where a few people might think Chicago is bland.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,038,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Some people think that anything in the West is immaterial. The East has the power and population.
Yes, you share this opinion and have made your stance abundantly clear, multiple times.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Unfortunately, some people think that anything that isn't on a "coast" is bland and uncosmopolitan. I love Chicago personally and it is the 2nd most important city in the US after NYC. Houston suffers from the same stereotype as Chicago!
Not to start an argument, but I don't agree with Chicago being the second most important city. That goes to LA. Without LA, which has the largest and busiest port in the country, the west would not be nearly as settled as it is now. I don't know much about the business industries anywhere in the country though since I'm only 15, so I can't say based on jobs and businesses. But, LA is the reason the west has the population it does. There would not be enough supplies available.

From Wiki:
The Port is the busiest port in the United States by container volume, the 8th busiest containerport in the world and the 5th busiest internationally when combined with the neighboring Port of Long Beach.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,060,954 times
Truly, how many times do we have to have this thread?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,464,854 times
In terms of popularity then LA probably ranks 2nd. However, LA is not the 2nd most important city in the United States. Chicago is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Not to start an argument, but I don't agree with Chicago being the second most important city. That goes to LA. Without LA, which has the largest and busiest port in the country, the west would not be nearly as settled as it is now. I don't know much about the business industries anywhere in the country though since I'm only 15, so I can't say based on jobs and businesses. But, LA is the reason the west has the population it does. There would not be enough supplies available.

From Wiki:
The Port is the busiest port in the United States by container volume, the 8th busiest containerport in the world and the 5th busiest internationally when combined with the neighboring Port of Long Beach.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:33 PM

6,984 posts, read 14,117,539 times
Oooookaayyyyyyy...this thread's goin down the drain. I'm done..

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM

93 posts, read 63,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?[LEFT
Il[/left]?;3018551]For a city as huge and globally important as Chicago,

there are many people, not even blue-collared, but professional people,
whos
interests sometimes seem to have interests limited to Cubs,
Sox
, Bears, big-ten football, pizza, Italian beef, and haven't been to places outside Lake Geneva, Wisconsin Dells, Florida, Vegas, and Phoenix.

I am NOT saying this is the majority of people by any means, I'm just saying, some people may observe this and come back with certain impressions.

I'm not a troll picking on Chicago, it is a world class city with immigrants from everywhere, but again immigrant may not necessarily be the only thing. I wonder though if the main reason why Chicago has such a wide range of immigrants is because California and the East Coast are more expensive and have fewer blue-collared opportunities for immigrants who don't have college degrees.

I'm guessing this is partly where a few people might think Chicago is bland.
Lets not forget that Chicago was a city of immigrants when there was virtually no Cali or west coast, worth speaking . Certainly, cost wasn't a factor then. The only people who could think Chicago is bland are people who actually haven't been there. Frankly, I like the fact that Chicago gets picked on. Chicago take a lot of abuse on these boards. Any arm chair psychologist knows what that's all about. Your description of Chicago is such a stereotype it's clear you've never really been, and are basing your opinion on what you've read, see on t.v., or heard. Therefore, your comment about Chicagoans' limited travel is laughable. It's obvious why so many of you pick on Chicago. We're at the top in every conceivable category, which make us any easy target. We get way more abuse than NYC. Because, at the end of the day you know what I and everyone else knows. CHICAGO IS THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE, WORK AND PLAY!, and that kills you. It's a kind of a penis envy. GET OVER IT ALL OF YOU. PLAYER HATERS! DON'T HATE! CONGRAGULATE!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,038,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post

Lets not forget that Chicago was a city of immigrants when there was virtually no Cali or west coast, worth speaking . Certainly, cost wasn't a factor then. The only people who could think Chicago is bland are people who actually haven't been there. Frankly, I like the fact that Chicago gets picked on. Chicago take a lot of abuse on these boards. Any arm chair psychologist knows what that's all about. Your description of Chicago is such a stereotype it's clear you've never really been, and are basing your opinion on what you've read, see on t.v., or heard. Therefore, your comment about Chicagoans' limited travel is laughable. It's obvious why so many of you pick on Chicago. We're at the top in every conceivable category, which make us any easy target. We get way more abuse than NYC. Because, at the end of the day you know what I and everyone else knows. CHICAGO IS THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE, WORK AND PLAY!, and that kills you. It's a kind of a penis envy. GET OVER IT ALL OF YOU. PLAYER HATERS! DON'T HATE! CONGRAGULATE!
I nominate this for ridiculous post of the day.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 PM

93 posts, read 63,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I nominate this for ridiculous post of the day.
Well, of course, you do. We wouldn't have it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or