U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
San Francisco and New York are far ahead of any other U.S. city. The second tier would be Chicago, DC, maybe Boston.
Wow, that's funny. San Francisco better than Chicago at anything? That's a joke right? Boston, DC, and San Francisco are no way more cosmopolitan than LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You're the one saying that L.A. is the second most important city. But Chicago is the second contestant, not L.A.
Read more carefully, I'm talking in terms of skyline because you said "I don't see L.A. competing in the skyscraper contest." I responded about the skyline, not the global status of the cities.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
how about we just focus on cities that aren't the top 3? I think most people agree that NYC, LA and Chi are certainly among the top cosmo cities in the country.

After that, and prob San Fran, it gets a lot more interesting in the discussion.

Or...it'll just crash and burn that much faster.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM

32,346 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Please! The mayor Gavin Newsom doesn't seem to think so. He's in Chicago every other week kissing mayor Daley's ass. Daley the man he has said is the best mayor of our time. Newsom has made it perfectly clear that Chicago is the model he uses when envisioning a 21st. Century San Fran. There have been numerous articles in the S.F. Chronicle discussing S.F's city government and their desire to, and I quote "change San Fran into Chicago". A takes more than a great Asian food scene, a wharf, a huge gay community and a couple of cultural institution to be cosmopolitan. Actually, I put NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and DC at the top, but for you to suggest that San Fran is in the same league as NYC, in anything, is laughable. At least Mayor Newsom seems to think so and he should know
From the standpoint of efficient public planning and beautiful public spaces-Chicago is a model-if not the model. Congratulations.

From the standpoint of cosmopolitanism-The Bay Area is really in a different league. I mean, no offense to Chicagoland, but the majority 7M+ people who live here are in households headed by someone who is foreign born. That's astounding and only LA and Miami are higher. However unlike Miami and LA, we have nearly as many Asians as we do Hispanics and their influence on the rest of us is not only noticeable but part of everyday life. Not to mention educational attainment levels and income levels in this region would indicate people who are more apt to be worldly in their interests and pursuits.

I dont have anything against Chicago and definitely consider it Cosmopolitan too. But were we to rank cities, SF would be at very least equal to LA or NY, while Chicago would be a tad lower.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
how about we just focus on cities that aren't the top 3? I think most people agree that NYC, LA and Chi are certainly among the top cosmo cities in the country.

After that, and prob San Fran, it gets a lot more interesting in the discussion.

Or...it'll just crash and burn that much faster.
That's a good idea.

After the big three, it would be SF, Philly, Boston, and DC in order. After that would come Houston and Miami, and maybe even SD.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Boston, DC, and San Francisco are no way more cosmopolitan than LA.
Chicago, Boston and DC are not.

San Francisco and The Bay Area on the other hand is in LA and its Metro's league, easily.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM

yeah, but the BA is not moreso.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
yeah, but the BA is not moreso.
Actually the Greater Bay Area is a bit moreso.

I cant believe the ignorance people have of the region. I think that because the area is so incredibly rich and smart, people expect us to be all white. But in actually, we have no racial majority.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM

692 posts, read 2,420,156 times
No mention of Atlanta huh ?
This is a major hub for business and transportation.
I have to imagine there is a global presence everyday.

( never been there, it just stands the reason )

I have lived, worked or have done business in:
Chicago, L.A. S.F. S.D. Orange Co. and Seattle.
These are all Cosmopolitan with regards to global influence
in business. Admittedly I have never done the east coast
( but looking forward to it ) but only an idiot would discount
any of the large cities. Honestly, I just don't get the pissing contest.
This country is "the country " in the business world and many
cities represent us.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Honestly, it depends on which definition of cosmopolitan you use.

A city made up of only one ethnicity or race can be 100% cosmopolitan if all of its residents have traveled around the world (not just one continent) and enjoy different cultural meals at home or enjoy different cultural aspects like music, dances and literature from around the world.
That's the kind of thing I mean. Of course, the city doesn't have to be made up of only one ethnicity or race - it can be very diverse.

Also, I'm talking about how cosmopolitan the city's residents are. If a city is 60% white and 40% Asian, but the whites only listen to country music and eat steak than it doesn't qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or