Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times

Advertisements

I have no qualms with Chicago, I think it is a great city, regardless of weather and topography. However, it is your massive ego that earns you the nomination.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 PM

246 posts, read 872,996 times
I would say any city in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Jersey.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
In terms of popularity then LA probably ranks 2nd. However, LA is not the 2nd most important city in the United States. Chicago is
I don't see L.A. competing in the skyscraper contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
For a city as huge and globally important as Chicago,

there are many people, not even blue-collared, but professional people, whos interests sometimes seem to have interests limited to Cubs, Sox, Bears, big-ten football, pizza, Italian beef, and haven't been to places outside Lake Geneva, Wisconsin Dells, Florida, Vegas, and Phoenix.

I am NOT saying this is the majority of people by any means, I'm just saying, some people may observe this and come back with certain impressions.

I'm not a troll picking on Chicago, it is a world class city with immigrants from everywhere, but again immigrant may not necessarily be the only thing. I wonder though if the main reason why Chicago has such a wide range of immigrants is because California and the East Coast are more expensive and have fewer blue-collared opportunities for immigrants who don't have college degrees.

I'm guessing this is partly where a few people might think Chicago is bland.
I Googled "Chicago sucks" to see what people came up with. It was a little funny but some of it was sadly true.
Mudhole of the Prairie

Here's the comments page:
Emile's ****cago website's Dreambook (http://books.dreambook.com/noahtaylor/****cago.html - broken link)

Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I don't see L.A. competing in the skyscraper contest.
Is that seriously coming from a Houstonian? Nothing can compare to Chicago and NYC in the western hemisphere. In the eastern hemisphere, Hong Kong may possibly be better, but only for people who like modern buildings. Of course LA doesn't match in skyline. The only other North American cities that could possibly compare are Seattle, Vancouver, and Toronto. SF and Philly could possibly come in a third place. LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Pittsburgh, and Minneapolis could possibly come next.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 PM

38 posts, read 229,573 times
San Francisco and New York are far ahead of any other U.S. city. The second tier would be Chicago, DC, maybe Boston.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Is that seriously coming from a Houstonian? Nothing can compare to Chicago and NYC in the western hemisphere. In the eastern hemisphere, Hong Kong may possibly be better, but only for people who like modern buildings. Of course LA doesn't match in skyline. The only other North American cities that could possibly compare are Seattle, Vancouver, and Toronto. SF and Philly could possibly come in a third place. LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Miami, Pittsburgh, and Minneapolis could possibly come next.
You're the one saying that L.A. is the second most important city. But Chicago is the second contestant, not L.A.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM

93 posts, read 88,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I have no qualms with Chicago, I think it is a great city, regardless of weather and topography. However, it is your massive ego that earns you the nomination.
People always say ego when presented with the truth. Chicago is, what it is. Whether I, or any other Chicagoan makes the statement. The city speaks for it's self. That's why we receive so much derision from others posting. If we dare to say what everyone else is always thinking(almost every visitor to the city both, domestic and foreign go into a WOW! stupor when they're here) we're are somehow being egotistical. If we were New Yorkers no one would give it a second thought. I guess, because the mid-west is famous for their niceness it's more offensive coming from us.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM

93 posts, read 88,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
San Francisco and New York are far ahead of any other U.S. city. The second tier would be Chicago, DC, maybe Boston.

Please! The mayor Gavin Newsom doesn't seem to think so. He's in Chicago every other week kissing mayor Daley's ass. Daley the man he has said is the best mayor of our time. Newsom has made it perfectly clear that Chicago is the model he uses when envisioning a 21st. Century San Fran. There have been numerous articles in the S.F. Chronicle discussing S.F's city government and their desire to, and I quote "change San Fran into Chicago". A takes more than a great Asian food scene, a wharf, a huge gay community and a couple of cultural institution to be cosmopolitan. Actually, I put NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and DC at the top, but for you to suggest that San Fran is in the same league as NYC, in anything, is laughable. At least Mayor Newsom seems to think so and he should know

Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I dont understand why there is always so much arguing over this. Any of the top 10 cities are going to be cosmopolitan in nature. If you must have density, then its New York or Chicago. But the rest still have amenities like a wide ethnic cuisine, symphony, opera, museums, etc. There is really no point in debating it unless the question is "Which cities are the most cosmopolitan outside the top 10?"

Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
People always say ego when presented with the truth. Chicago is, what it is. Whether I, or any other Chicagoan makes the statement. The city speaks for it's self. That's why we receive so much derision from others posting. If we dare to say what everyone else is always thinking(almost every visitor to the city both, domestic and foreign go into a WOW! stupor when they're here) we're are somehow being egotistical. If we were New Yorkers no one would give it a second thought. I guess, because the mid-west is famous for their niceness it's more offensive coming from us.
Oh, give me a break! I'll tell you what I really think of Chicago. It has an incredible (to anyone else) booster mentality. It's simply the best, period. When we went to the Sears Tower, we had to watch this video first. I was waiting for them to say "And Christ came down from heaven and walked across Lake Michigan and said 'This is the place' ". My daughter thought I was full of it, till she went to college out there. (She transferred to the University of Colorado, BTW.) One time at spring break, I asked her if her friends were going anywhere. She said, "No. They're all from Chicago. It's perfect. Why go anywhere else?" That is the general attitude there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.