Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM

38 posts, read 229,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My brother-in-law used to live in Concord, CA and work in SF. Very suburban, IMO. I think "cosmopolitan" is in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent.
Of course there are your typical suburbs on the perimeter - Concord, Walnut Creek, Danville, etc. Many of the areas surrounding SF - Oakland, silicon valley, San Jose, Marin County, and Berkeley don't fit into the mold of a typical suburb. Agree or no?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
Of course there are your typical suburbs on the perimeter - Concord, Walnut Creek, Danville, etc. Many of the areas surrounding SF - Oakland, silicon valley, San Jose, Marin County, and Berkeley don't fit into the mold of a typical suburb. Agree or no?
Well, I haven't spent a lot of time there. I don't think I've been to Oakland. Silicon Valley, do you mean Sunnyvale? It's pretty suburban. Marin is rather far from SF, no? Berkely, typical college town, like Boulder, CO.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Well, I haven't spent a lot of time there. I don't think I've been to Oakland. Silicon Valley, do you mean Sunnyvale? It's pretty suburban. Marin is rather far from SF, no? Berkely, typical college town, like Boulder, CO.
Silicon Valley is Santa Clara County(45 miles south of SF)-2nd highest percentage of foreign born residents after only Miami.

Oakland and the corridor its the heart of is quite urban and by many accounts is actually more diverse than SF

Marin is 1 mile from SF...across the Golden Gate Bridge

Berkeley(Pop 100,000), next to Oakland is definitely an urban setting and isnt suburban for the most part.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Berkely, typical college town, like Boulder, CO.
extremely different places & to certain degree, social climate. Berkeley is very urban, very liberal. Boulder is comparatively liberal in various respects but totally country compared to Berkeley.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Silicon Valley is Santa Clara County(45 miles south of SF)-2nd highest percentage of foreign born residents after only Miami.

Oakland and the corridor its the heart of is quite urban and by many accounts is actually more diverse than SF

Marin is 1 mile from SF...across the Golden Gate Bridge

Berkeley(Pop 100,000), next to Oakland is definitely an urban setting and isnt suburban for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
extremely different places & to certain degree, social climate. Berkeley is very urban, very liberal. Boulder is comparatively liberal in various respects but totally country compared to Berkeley.
Well, whatever. I said I hadn't spent a lot of time there. I still think Sunnyvale is suburban, even if there are a high percentage of foreign-born there. Let me guess, from Asia and India?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
[quote=Katiana;3035841] I still think Sunnyvale is suburban, even if there are a high percentage of foreign-born there. quote]

basically all suburban areas of CA big cities consist of high foreign-born populations

Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Well, whatever. I said I hadn't spent a lot of time there. I still think Sunnyvale is suburban, even if there are a high percentage of foreign-born there. Let me guess, from Asia and India?
Does that deligetimize Silicon Valley as a cosmopolitan place?

What about the fact that there is no racial majority there and that hispanics are also a large percentage of the total population. Suppose that these cultures interact at all?

And how many other places around the country can make similar claims as far as having that many Asians and Indians as a percentage of their total?

Actually nowhere else can make any such claim.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 AM

On top of all that diversity,
San Jose is rich, highly educated, safe and on the cutting edge of the global economy.

I think we've found a winner.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Does that deligetimize Silicon Valley as a cosmopolitan place?

What about the fact that there is no racial majority there and that hispanics are also a large percentage of the total population. Suppose that these cultures interact at all?

And how many other places around the country can make similar claims as far as having that many Asians and Indians as a percentage of their total?

Actually nowhere else can make any such claim.
I don't think having a lot of immigrants from anywhere actually means a place is cosmopolitan. I don't think we've ever defined what cosmopolitan means in this thread. I know there are a lot of Asians and Indians who work in high-tech as Denver/Boulder has a large high-tech industry also. Plus a large Hispanic population. You notice we have not come up as a "cosmopolitan" place (not that I think we are, BTW) with similar demographics.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I don't think having a lot of immigrants from anywhere actually means a place is cosmopolitan. I don't think we've ever defined what cosmopolitan means in this thread. I know there are a lot of Asians and Indians who work in high-tech as Denver/Boulder has a large high-tech industry also. Plus a large Hispanic population. You notice we have not come up as a "cosmopolitan" place (not that I think we are, BTW) with similar demographics.
Denver? I think most people cannot comprehend the level of diversity that exists here.

Denver Metro
White 1.9 Million
Hispanic 528,000
Asian 86,000

Santa Clara County
White 909,000
Hispanic 473,000
Asian 515,000

Its just not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.