Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It may have been made up by students at an "obscure English University", but almost anyone would agree that that it is pretty accurate. Besides, what would you change, SF gets an awful lot of credit on the list!
I would move DC up to a 12 point city. It is the center of government of the most powerful nation on earth. Philadelphia belongs on the list, too, ahead of Atlanta and Minneapolis. I think Bejing should move up, and Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Sao Paulo should move down.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes DC has a big effect on the world but that does not make it more Cosmopolitan than a city like New York or Los Angeles. Cosmopolitan more refers to the Diversity and moderness a city has. It refers to the different flavors. Of course it will also mean that the city has almost all of the sports teams. It means that the city has a large presence of all the Arts, Museums, Universities especially prominent ones. Culinary influences are important also.
Here is a short video about one ofthese cities. I think you will see why this is a very cosmopolitan City.

YouTube - Houston, Texas
DC easily has all of that. It's a museum (Smithsonian) and educational (Georgetown, GWU, American U., Catholic U.) powerhouse, home to people from all corners of the globe (think embassies), and obviously the most important US city in terms of politics -- which directly translates to an integral role internationally in a way that neither L.A. nor New York are really involved.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-13-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
You were joking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This was a list created by some students at an obscure English university. It has no official standing. If you believe it, you're not smart. I'm not judging, just warning.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
DC easily has all of that. It's a museum (Smithsonian) and educational (Georgetown, GWU, American U., Catholic U.) powerhouse, home to people from all corners of the globe (think embassies), and obviously the most important US city in terms of politics -- which directly translates to an integral role internationally in a way that neither L.A. nor New York are really involved.
I agree, and the Smithsonian is actually a large collection of museums. There are also the National Archives, and a few other itty, bitty things that make DC important.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes DC has a big effect on the world but that does not make it more Cosmopolitan than a city like New York or Los Angeles. Cosmopolitan more refers to the Diversity and moderness a city has. It refers to the different flavors. Of course it will also mean that the city has almost all of the sports teams. It means that the city has a large presence of all the Arts, Museums, Universities especially prominent ones. Culinary influences are important also.
Here is a short video about one ofthese cities. I think you will see why this is a very cosmopolitan City.

YouTube - Houston, Texas
I agree with you about what constitutes "cosmopolitan." I also agree that Houston has a lot to offer, but I just think that with this list supposedly measuring the foreign-orientedness (not a word) of a city's hinterland, it's not accurate for measuring how cosmopolitan (or even important for that matter) a city is. DC is undoubtedly a very cosmopolitan city for the reasons that you just mentioned; and I agree with those who have stated the specifics already (e.g. Smithsonian, Georgetown).

Old 03-14-2008, 01:23 AM

263 posts, read 798,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY10023 View Post
So you go to beaches for "culture" and history?
LOL!!!
No. I go for relevence and perspective. And warmth; How's that 30 degrees treating you? Another point I wanted to make was that the District of Columbia is more of a 'Federal' representation, not so much a city of Maryland. Then again, maybe it's more of its own creation than any other city in the country. By far the most powerful city in the world. Oh yeah, L A!! How's that?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:56 AM

29 posts, read 43,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
No. I go for relevence and perspective. And warmth; How's that 30 degrees treating you? Another point I wanted to make was that the District of Columbia is more of a 'Federal' representation, not so much a city of Maryland. Then again, maybe it's more of its own creation than any other city in the country. By far the most powerful city in the world. Oh yeah, L A!! How's that?
Why would I go to the beach this time of the year? I'm not a huge beach fan and I only go in the summer.

With that said, The Hamptons topples your lowly beaches.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I think the Hamptons are more Shores than beaches IMO

Old 03-14-2008, 10:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNY10023 View Post
Why would I go to the beach this time of the year? I'm not a huge beach fan and I only go in the summer.

With that said, The Hamptons topples your lowly beaches.

dude, i love the hamptons as much as anyone else, but the socal beaches are the bomb.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Boston, DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.