U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 9,939,119 times

Advertisements

The thing that hurts New Jersey's reputation is the view from the main highway - the New Jersey Turnpike. In northern New Jersey and to a lesser extent in central New Jersey these days. It gives you a false impression of what most of New Jersey looks like.

In Northern New Jersey, the Turnpike passes through some low lying areas that are/were former marshlands. The surviving marshlands are not the problem, some of them are actually pretty attractive to look at. The problem is you can easily over the marshes to see all the industrial activities - warehouses, factories, oil and chemical tanks. This "unattractive" area runs more or less south along the Turnpike from I-80, through the Meadowlands, Essex County (Newark), Union County and into maybe northern Middlesex County.

In Central New Jersey, the views are actually decent where farmland still survives. However, there is an area somewhere south of New Brunswick (Dayton?) that used to be farmland but was allowed to be turned into GIANT warehouses that are right next to the Turnpike. Why they don't leave some space for greenery I do not know - terrible local government planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM

256 posts, read 169,309 times
I don't think that people think of the entire state of new jersey as an armpit. I think they're just ripping on the people who live in the New Jerseyish parts of the NYC area.

I wouldn't know enough about say "in-land" New Jersey. Could be beautiful, most people just wouldn't know.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,411,582 times
Because it's much easier to rely on stereotypes that you see on tv or online than to actually get off your ass and explore an entirely different part of the country and challenge your preconceived notions.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 AM

792 posts, read 440,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Because it's much easier to rely on stereotypes that you see on tv or online than to actually get off your ass and explore an entirely different part of the country and challenge your preconceived notions.

That's very true......would explain why some people think that the entire state of Arizona is just like Phoenix. (wish I had a dollar for every stupid comment or question I've gotten over the years....especially from people who live in the US, and should know better)

Old 02-07-2017, 12:51 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Yes, but I never heard NJ called the armpit of the US. Never. Must be a NYC thing. As for elegance? Sure around Central Park and highest end areas. But outside of the key blocks of 5th ave. Midtown loses a LOT in elegance for me. No use me listing why and get bombarded with a "how dare I".

Also NJ is far more suburban. Then some cities that taint it. I still say. Since it isn't a PA thing this armpit finger pointing? It must be a NYC thing.
I think it comes from people that never see anything of NJ except from the confines of the Turnpike or Newark Airport. I really got to know the more pastoral parts of NJ when I lived in NYC (My second husband was a mountain bike enthusiast) and it was really lovely, not to mention historic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or