U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

Say you're a guy who moves to a city where he knows no one but doesn't like being lonely either, not just in regards to dating but friends and social life in general.

What US cities, in terms of both culture of the place and many other things are great cities for a guy to move to as a total stranger who knows no one yet still somehow end up with a pretty good social life?

I know that certain cities like NYC would not be good cities to move to because most people are cold and cliquish there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 PM

32 posts, read 32,070 times
Chicago would be a pretty good one. A lot of friendly people and you are in an urban setting with people out and about doing stuff all the time. Very easy to join groups, clubs, sports teams, etc.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olbrooks View Post
I know that certain cities like NYC would not be good cities to move to because most people are cold and cliquish there.
I don't think this is true at all. A large number of people in NYC are not from NYC. I think any city with a large amount of transplants would be easier to start a social life.

I live in an area with lots of transplants and I'm constantly meeting new people and making new friends. Actually, almost all of my friends are transplants lately that I've met in the last few years. Idk where you got the idea that people are cliquish here.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM

760 posts, read 588,716 times
I was always under the impression that Minneapolis would be one of the worst...until I actually lived there. You have to put in some work in the beginning, but once you make friends, you have them for life.

In many other cities I have lived in, it seemed like it was easy to make friends at first, but very few were dependable or sustainable.

I also believe that the larger the city, the more difficult it is to date and make good friendships. LA and NYC have to be the hardest places to "start over" due to their population and transient nature. I've made many activity friends or acquaintances in those places, but no one I would actually call a good friend.

Really though, it all comes down to how much of an effort you make to meet people. Almost anyone can make it anywhere if they try.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,051,184 times
Quote:

I don't think this is true either. I've always found NYers to be very friendly. Very engaging. And I'm talking about native NYers, not transplants.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
New York
Chicago
LA?
New Orleans

Of course, you can do it in any city. Geographical location doesn't limit you.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:42 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Midwest. Ohio might be the friendliest state I have ever been to. I haven't been to Chicago but I do wonder if the burbs are as friendly as they are in Ohio.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:00 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Say you're a guy who moves to a city where he knows no one but doesn't like being lonely either, not just in regards to dating but friends and social life in general.

What US cities, in terms of both culture of the place and many other things are great cities for a guy to move to as a total stranger who knows no one yet still somehow end up with a pretty good social life?

I'll also disagree regarding the cliquish and cold NYC comment. Old stereotype = not true.

However I don't it's necessarily a better option as there are friendlier less overwhelming big cities that I think are better fits for someone who tends a tad shy given the post to begin with. No shame or offense meant there, but figure someone overly confident wouldn't have the concern to begin with and would certainly be in the minority of us. A move to a new city where you don't know anyone is a big undertaking. Check out cities like Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville which are all booming economic centers that have attracted people like yourself from all over who are less likely to have the deep roots/extensive social networks which makes meeting new people difficult in many big cities, where many within 100 mile or so people tend to grow up/go to school and settle. The four cities mentioned also have a reputation in general of friendliness, so in my opinion good places to start looking. Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,061 times
I guess it really depends on your interests. In general a city with a lot of transplants and cities in the Midwest close behind. I mean in reality, as long as you put yourself out there and join clubs and or find some cool people at work, it can be done anywhere.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
I vote Chicago, too. Lots of corner bars, where people are friendly and like to hear the stories of strangers. Chicago is big on neighborhoods and you see the same people in grocery stores, on the street, etc. since people walk and you don't need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or