U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM

686 posts, read 399,607 times

Advertisements

I am a born and raised DC'er and have spent a ton of time in Denver. Denver is the only place I ever went that made me never want to go back home. I have a lot of friends from up in DC who are out in the Denver area now and they are constantly trying to get me to move from Tampa.

I can't imagine having to live in Chantilly for 6 months. My apologies in advance if you go the DC route. The whole NoVA nightmarish sprawl is something I will never miss. DC itself is a pretty amazing city, though. You will never run out of things to do. The metro system is fantastic, even with its recent issues with breakdowns.

If it were *me* I'd go to Denver in a heartbeat. I'm concerned about their housing market rocketing into the stratosphere, though. I don't think it's very sustainable. I hear the rental market in Denver proper is pretty rough. But it is a nature lover's paradise. Unlike DC, though, you can travel not too far out of the city and find affordable housing. In DC you'd have to venture into the ghettos of Maryland or out to the hinterlands of Virginia to find something affordable, and god help you if you have to commute from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 08:07 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I am a born and raised DC'er and have spent a ton of time in Denver. Denver is the only place I ever went that made me never want to go back home.
Very interesting. I have a friend who lives in DC but is currently in Denver for work (his first time there). He said he's blown away by Denver and that he didn't think there was a city that could pull him away from DC.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:30 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
I'd definitely go with DC. I graduated last year and went to DC for a (paid) internship later that month. I hated it at first, but that was my first time living in a new state, and I was by myself. One day I said "get over yourself" and I got over myself and I loved it after that. Made many friends and networked well.

The metro is very young and lively. I actually loved Nova. Yeah I wouldnt want to live in suburban Nova either, but maybe you could reverse commute? If you dealt with Chantilly for 6 months and didnt get the new office, would you just look for something else?

Arlington, Alexandria, and Falls Church are awesome, young, and lively and are perfect cities for 20-30 year olds. You have many ways into DC - car, Metro, bus, bikeshare, and rideshare. My commute was never longer than 15 minutes and I found cheaper, yet clean, safe, and modern housing. You just have to look.

DC has a lot more free and inexpensive things to do than people realize. Even Capitals and Nationals games get very affordable. And theres a little something for everybody in terms things to do. It's not all "shrimp and crackers, wine" crowd that it may look like.

The area is more expensive, but personally Id rather do it now while it's just me (and a s/o) and I'm young, versus trying to come when I'm older with a family and lots of bills. Thats when something like Denver would more interest me.

Also politics isnt as common as you think. My internship wasnt politics, and my (hopefully) new job wont be either. I like skylines too, but DC adjusted well to me. Rosslyn, Bethesda, Crystal City, Pentagon City, Clarendon, Ballston, etc all provide some cool tallness, and all the buildings being the same height in DC creates a great uniformity. And there definately are views. Go to Gravelly Park. Very scenic.

Also marijuana is legal in DC proper. And people werent that rude to me personally. I actually cant count the amount of times I was given free drinks for no reason really. The fact that I'm a guy made me feel even better lol.

I was in your shoes this time last year, good luck!

Last edited by Jandrew5; 02-04-2017 at 10:48 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times
I'm back. Again, want to say you are in an enviable position, but I think if I were young, I would love to experience the hustle and bustle of a place like DC. That's not to say that Denver is not crazy fun, but I think that's more of a typical American city experience, with great outdoors of course. Denverites, please do not take that as a slight. I live in DC, but in my situation, I would prefer Denver.

But, fresh out of college? Definitely live in a historical city with great public transportation. Either way, OP has some great choices.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:38 AM

760 posts, read 588,107 times
You are young and fresh out of school. I would say DC would be better for your situation.

Give it a few years, advance your career, and then come to Denver when you are ready to slow down your life a bit.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 17,224 times
I think as a younger person, I would chose DC. While Denver is great, you're right when you say DC has a better night life. If you want to be very active and have a lot of physical experience though, Denver does have a lot to do. Since you are already familiar with the DC area, do you just want to make a change and see how you like it? It can be overwhelming for some people to be stuck in the same place for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or