Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do virtually college of the great college towns have their state's flagship public university?
Yes 7 16.28%
No 36 83.72%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm a guy who is interested in universities and college towns and I have started a few threads on them. I'm going to make an assertion that the truly great college towns tend to have one thing in common: they are home to their state's flagship public university.

Would you agree or disagree with that statement.

Just listing that type of town......State College, Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, Athens, Gainesville, Oxford, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, Madison, Iowa City, Colombia (MO), Lawrence, Austin, Boulder, Berkeley and the like.....gives me the impressions that the flagship public university seems like a really big piece of the puzzle in making a great college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
I voted NO. You definitely don't need a public college, and it certainly does not have to be the "flagship" school.

Right off the bat, there is Ithaca, New York. Home to Cornell University and two other colleges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca,_New_York

Ithaca is home to Cornell University, an Ivy League school of over 20,000 students, most of whom study at its local campus.[2] Ithaca College is located just south of the city in the Town of Ithaca, adding to the area's "college town" atmosphere. Nearby is Tompkins Cortland Community College.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I went to UT, in Austin, but I voted no.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:07 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
No. Nearly all towns that have flagship state universities are great college towns, but there are many good or great college towns that either 1)have a non flagship public university or 2) are anchored by a private university.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Yep, I'm a guy who is interested in universities and college towns and I have started a few threads on them. I'm going to make an assertion that the truly great college towns tend to have one thing in common: they are home to their state's flagship public university.

Would you agree or disagree with that statement.

Just listing that type of town......State College, Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, Athens, Gainesville, Oxford, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, Madison, Iowa City, Colombia (MO), Lawrence, Austin, Boulder, Berkeley and the like.....gives me the impressions that the flagship public university seems like a really big piece of the puzzle in making a great college town.
You don't have to have THE flagship university for the state, but you should have a reasonably high end flagship university to be a great college town.

Nobody is going to argue that Blacksburg, Raleigh, Tallahassee, Starkville, East Lansing, West Lafayette, Ames, Manhattan, College Station, Fort Collins, etc. aren't legitimate college towns either.

But simply having a college does not make a college town either.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:08 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
flagship means the main campus of a university system.

For example, the flagship of the Uni of Texas system is UT- Austin. The flagship of the Texas A&M system is Texas A&M - College Station. It is not correct to say UT-Austin is the flagship of the state.

Texas A&M - College Station is more of a college town than UT-Austin.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
flagship means the main campus of a university system.

For example, the flagship of the Uni of Texas system is UT- Austin. The flagship of the Texas A&M system is Texas A&M - College Station. It is not correct to say UT-Austin is the flagship of the state.

Texas A&M - College Station is more of a college town than UT-Austin.
I agree with you that that is one definition. The other definition though would be the premier public university in the state, usually the oldest one. I subscribe to the idea that some states have more than one flagship....you'd be right in saying that the state of Texas has two (UT-Austin and TAMU) because the state does indeed officially identify them both as such....and other in-state institutions, like UH and TT, try to get the state to designate them as the third flagship. I would consider states like California (Cal, UCLA), Michigan (U-M, MSU), Indiana (IU, Purdue) and Florida (UF, FSU) to be dual flagship states, among a very few others. And, of course there are many states with only one flagship, such as Illinois (UIUC), Wisconsin (UW-Madison), and Missouri (Mizzou).

Old 01-14-2017, 11:18 AM

yes but those are the flagship campus of the state's single university system.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara in Isla Vista are great college towns without "flagship" universities. The same could be said of so-called "party school" colleges.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM

in my view, land grant universities tend to be good college towns, because they were established in rural areas. Clemson, Va Tech, Auburn, Miss State, Iowa State etc.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-14-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.