U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:47 PM

56,583 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about 80 different cultures/languages, but this area comes to mind: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Zm8Z8ZffA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 AM

977 posts, read 634,757 times
Keep them coming! I do enjoy the videos as well and also learning more about neighbourhoods in all cities posted here and others that will get posted here hopefully.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Right where I live, in the UNT area. People of different backgrounds. Plenty of Middle Easterners and South Asians.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Well if Toronto and Montreal have multiple neighbourhoods with 80+ languages, cultures or ethnicities, I'm sure NYC has this as well.
With that category, most cities (especially mine) would not qualify. 80 is a ridiculously high number. Only a handful of large cities have that much diversity within the entire city, let alone specific neighbourhoods.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I think that's so skewed though. It's not like Nigeria, where you actually have areas that speak SEVERAL different languages. Even still, to measure diversity based on the amount of languages, seems very far-fetched. lol

I don't see why language even matters. Sure, language definitely gets you diversity brownie points, but if you have an area with a vast array of people of differing ethnic backgrounds, from all over Europe, Africa, Latin America and Asia, it doesn't matter if they all only speak English, they still have different backgrounds and cultural experiences. I'd say an area where there's tons of ethnic groups that speak mostly only English is more connected than a place with just a random group of people who only speak foreign languages. Thats just a UN convention! LOL

Old 02-05-2017, 02:52 PM

11,883 posts, read 10,383,727 times
Philly has a good deal of diverse neighborhoods today, but I have to mention the neighborhood I grew up in, Mount Airy in Northwest Philly-cited by many civil rights groups as one of the first successfully integrated neighborhoods in the US. Residents in the 1950's-70's organized to combat racist real estate practices at the time like redlining, white flight and blockbusting. It is still very diverse today, along with neighboring Germantown.

Mt. Airy - Towns of the Philadelphia Countryside — visitphilly.com

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0591...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0463...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0444...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0663...7i13312!8i6656

In terms of languages, immigrant communities and ethnic diversity- South Philly, Olney, Northeast Philly and West Philly are probably most diverse.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Keep in mind that some of the most diverse cities in the United States are also some of the most segregated. Not saying those neighborhoods don't exist (I honestly have no idea if they do or not), but I'm just pointing out the segregation issue facing many American cities.
I live right outside of NYC, I definitely would not say it's "segregated". Many neighborhoods are extremely diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I lived in NYC, personally speaking, I only lived among AA's, West Indians and Hispanics. The only language I usually came across was Spanish. Sure, there were other races, cultures, and ethnicities as well, but to add up to 80+, that sounds a bit high.
It varies by neighborhood of course, it sounds like you lived in uptown Manhattan or the Bronx which are not nearly as diverse as say, Jackson Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It's not. That's one neighborhood that you lived in. NYC is a big place. Not to mention that going by languages that you remember hearing regularly on the street is not a very good form of measurement. I can't even name 80 different languages myself.

As I said earlier, Jackson Heights Queens has over twice as many languages spoken. I'm sure there are many other Queens neighborhoods with 80+ languages as well. Probably in some other boroughs too.
I have family in Kensington, Brooklyn and it's extremely diverse, I wouldn't be surprised if that many languages were spoken there too.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
In the south neighborhood of my city, it's so diverse that only half of the properties had "make America great again" signs.
Close thread! lol

Old 02-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not sure about 80 different cultures/languages, but this area comes to mind: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Zm8Z8ZffA
This area of Buffalo is very similar: About

City of Buffalo - Neighborhoods - Map Collection - University at Buffalo Libraries

West Side – Buffalo Rising

A rebirth on Buffalo's West Side - Story

This area of Rochester is also similar, https://rocwiki.org/Northwest_Quadrant

A common theme is that all of these areas were once areas where the Italian community was concentrated(and Germans as well), with quite a few still in these areas. However, all of them also have their share of immigrants/refugees, as well as other groups. All 3 have a range of neighborhoods economically as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-05-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,224,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I live right outside of NYC, I definitely would not say it's "segregated". Many neighborhoods are extremely diverse.
New York City proper has been measured as the 13th most segregated city in the country.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...st-segregated/

New York's metropolitan area as a whole has been ranked as the second most segregated and the fourth most segregated in two different studies:
Segregation declines in Chicago, but city still ranks high, census data show - Chicago Tribune
Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or