U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,379,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You already have Oregon paired up with Colorado, which I disagree with.
No I put Colorado with Oregon, not Oregon with Colorado As in I feel Colorado has more in common with Oregon than Oregon has with Colorado, if that makes sense. Some states I did dual pairs but others, not. Colorado was a tricky one, but I went with Oregon cuz mountains and pot. Which non-neighbouring state do you feel Colorado has more in common with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 12:52 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
I think a better comparison for Idaho would be Colorado since I dont think it is very much like Vermont except that they both have mountains. Vermont may have a small population, but it is a small state. It is about average in population density. Idaho has a small population in a large area, so very low density.

Boise is significantly larger than any city in Vermont. Since the state of Idaho is bigger than New England Boise serves as a regional hub. In Vermont the hubs are in other states.

Now while Colorado and Idaho are not clones I think they share enough in common that it is probably the best comparison. Both have large skiing and outdoors cultures, Both have large numbers of transplants largely from California. I think the natives from both states are pretty similar. Boise and Denver, although different in size both have come to dominate their state policies.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,532 times
Georgia - Virginia

Mountains and coastlines with majority of the state heavily wooded. Dominated by one major metro area with a few mid-sized cities and numerous quaint small towns spread throughout the rest of the state. Significant military presence. Many historical and culutural similarities.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Georgia - Virginia

Mountains and coastlines with majority of the state heavily wooded. Dominated by one major metro area with a few mid-sized cities and numerous quaint small towns spread throughout the rest of the state. Significant military presence. Many historical and culutural similarities.
I wouldn't say VA is dominated by one major metro area, at least not like GA is. Otherwise I agree with the comparison of both states.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:21 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No I put Colorado with Oregon, not Oregon with Colorado As in I feel Colorado has more in common with Oregon than Oregon has with Colorado, if that makes sense. Some states I did dual pairs but others, not. Colorado was a tricky one, but I went with Oregon cuz mountains and pot. Which non-neighbouring state do you feel Colorado has more in common with?
I have a hard time coming up with one. It's not Oregon, IMO. We can keep our schools running, unlike Portland at times. We're not rabidly anti-fluoridation like Portland, such a nutty issue. The climate is different. It's said an inch rainfall in Colorado means an inch between raindrops. We're bigger in population, more important politically. Oregon has medical marijuana, but so do many other states. Maybe we're just unique!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:33 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,317,882 times
The problem is that you are shoe-horning. Some states just don't have cultural siblings or cousins. Like Texas, for example. There's just not an analogue, and if there was it's certainly not Nebraska, a state known for, if anything, modesty, industrial agriculture, flatness, college sports and not being well-known, which more or less puts in somewhere in the Kansas-Iowa-Indiana bracket. Whereas Texas is well-known, and loved or loathed, culturally one of the most important states in the US.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't say VA is dominated by one major metro area, at least not like GA is. Otherwise I agree with the comparison of both states.
Yeah, VA has the Tidewater nearing 2 million and Richmond well over a million. Georgia has no other metro than Atlanta that's even close to a million.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
Yeah the problem with comparing Texas is it is so big, it isnt even really like any of the states it borders. Oklahoma might be the closest but OK is nothing like south TX.

In this regard I think that Texas is most like California. Both are large and diverse, and non of the states the border them, let alone doesn't, encompasses all of the same features.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM

6,839 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
The problem is that you are shoe-horning. Some states just don't have cultural siblings or cousins.
No kidding. Being from Oklahoma he put Oklahoma with South Dakota. I'm thinking, why South Dakota? Then I'm thinking why not South Dakota? No place that doesn't border Oklahoma really fits with Oklahoma.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 PM

1,558 posts, read 743,963 times
Indiana and Missouri are relatively similar in many respects. Both are medium sized states and generally lower Midwest in character with some influence from the South, and have a mix of agriculture and industry, with large but not massive metropolitan areas and many small cities and towns. The states are just about in the same place politically these days - right of center but willing to vote for Democrats on occasion. Indiana is a little more industrial and Missouri has more to offer for outdoor recreation, but their differences are not overwhelming.

As a Georgia resident, I think Virginia is a significantly better match than Texas. Southern Georgia and eastern Texas have similarities as do the Atlanta and Dallas metro areas, but otherwise the states diverge a great deal. Virginia has the eastern mountain, piedmont and coastal environment which also exists in Georgia, plus a history as one of the original 13 colonies. Georgia has a more similar demographic profile to Virginia than to Texas, given the much larger Black and smaller Hispanic populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or