U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,094 posts, read 3,413,462 times
Reputation: 7765

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I would also go with California and Texas together because of their diversity. They are large and diverse states, population and area wise, with many important cities. They are considered reliable states, albeit for opposing parties, both have an annoying and enlarged sense of importance and pride, who consider themselves to be The exception, love or hated by everyone, and both have subpar K-12 education systems as a whole.
I agree, both are very similar yet almost like total opposites. They're like those kids in high school who get on each other's nerves but secretly, they have a crush on the other one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,896 posts, read 21,176,302 times
Reputation: 9447
Indiana is much more similar to Missouri than Iowa. A big chunk of Indiana is similar to Iowa but southern Indiana looks and feels a lot like the Ozarks. Iowa has nothing like the Ozarks. Parts of southern Missouri and southern Indiana are mostly Southern in accent and culture, no where in Iowa is. Both states also have a significant percent of people with at least one great grandparent from Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,040 posts, read 2,471,105 times
Reputation: 2323
Some possible somewhat controversial darkhorses:

Minnesota: Washington
California: Illinois
Nevada: Louisiana
Michigan: Pennsylvania or Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,094 posts, read 3,413,462 times
Reputation: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Some possible somewhat controversial darkhorses:

Minnesota: Washington
California: Illinois
Nevada: Louisiana
Michigan: Pennsylvania or Georgia
Okay I could see MN/WA and MI/PA even MI/GA but CA/IL and NV/LA? I mean... huh? Haha. Only comparison I can think for Nevada and Louisiana is that Shreveport has casinos I guess, and New Orleans is a party town like Vegas but thats where it ends. Scenery wise they couldn't be any more different. One is wet and green the other is dry and... tan.

California and Illinois also escapes me. Aside from them being states that are long from north to south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 09:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,992 posts, read 42,089,742 times
Reputation: 14811
I think Massachusetts is a somewhat better for New Jersey than Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,040 posts, read 2,471,105 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Okay I could see MN/WA and MI/PA even MI/GA but CA/IL and NV/LA? I mean... huh? Haha. Only comparison I can think for Nevada and Louisiana is that Shreveport has casinos I guess, and New Orleans is a party town like Vegas but thats where it ends. Scenery wise they couldn't be any more different. One is wet and green the other is dry and... tan.

California and Illinois also escapes me. Aside from them being states that are long from north to south.
I listed Nevada and Louisiana because of their unmistakable uniqueness in character in comparison to supposedly larger, more influential states nearby. The party culture of New Orleans and Las Vegas doesn't hurt either.

California obviously is a lot bigger and has much different scenery than Illinois, but they're both strongly agricultural states that have come to be dominated by mature, world-class cities (Los Angeles and San Francisco for California, Chicago for Illinois) that essentially control these states economically and politically. There are some decently-performing smaller cities, but there are also a lot of towns and cities that are economically troubled in both states that tend to be hidden from view (think places like Chico or Modesto or Decatur.) Plus, California is a melting pot of different American cultures, including the Midwest, of which Illinois typifies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Cannes
2,331 posts, read 1,471,587 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Which states do y'all think are the most similar to each state, that they do not share a land border with? I'm talking over all in both geography and culture.

Here's my list

Alabama- Arkansas
Alaska- Montana
Arizona- Texas
Arkansas- Kentucky
California- Hawaii (though I also think Florida is a good choice, cuz beaches, palms and Disney)
Colorado- Oregon
Connecticut- Delaware
Delaware- Rhode Island
Florida- South Carolina
Georgia- Texas (I know its a stretch, but I feel Dallas and Atlanta are very similar in many ways)
Hawaii- California
Idaho- Vermont Idaho is nothing like Vemont
Illinois- Ohio
Indiana- Wisconsin
Iowa- Indiana
Kansas- Texas
Kentucky- Arkansas
Louisiana- South Carolina
Maine- Minnesota
Maryland- Massachusetts
Massachusetts- Maryland
Michigan- Minnesota
Minnesota- Michigan
Mississippi- Georgia
Missouri- Ohio
Montana- Utah ???
Nebraska- Texas
Nevada- New Mexico
New Hampshire- Pennsylvania
New Jersey- Rhode Island
New Mexico- Nevada
New York- Maryland
North Carolina- Maryland
North Dakota- Nebraska
Ohio- Illinois
Oklahoma- South Dakota
Tennessee- West Virginia
Texas- Nebraska (hard one to choose, though. I feel Omaha can be compared to Dallas, though)
Utah- Montana
Vermont- Wisconsin
Virginia- Pennsylvania
Washington- Maine the cascades, volcanos....Nothing like Maine
West Virginia- Tennessee
Wisconsin- Indiana
Wyoming- Nevada (just without Vegas and Reno)



I wanna hear y'alls opinions and why. Some of these I found hard to really decide for, like Texas. I picked Nebraska cuz I feel it covers it for much of the scenery, somewhat of the culture and has at least a good sized city. But I can see how other people might pick other states for that one.
Comparing mountain states with flat ones is a stretch to me, specially mountain west to Northeast states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM
 
1,839 posts, read 1,263,812 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I listed Nevada and Louisiana because of their unmistakable uniqueness in character in comparison to supposedly larger, more influential states nearby. The party culture of New Orleans and Las Vegas doesn't hurt either.

California obviously is a lot bigger and has much different scenery than Illinois, but they're both strongly agricultural states that have come to be dominated by mature, world-class cities (Los Angeles and San Francisco for California, Chicago for Illinois) that essentially control these states economically and politically. There are some decently-performing smaller cities, but there are also a lot of towns and cities that are economically troubled in both states that tend to be hidden from view (think places like Chico or Modesto or Decatur.) Plus, California is a melting pot of different American cultures, including the Midwest, of which Illinois typifies.
I didn't know Illinois had any outside of the Chicago metro area. Especially since it seems people on CD, from Chicago and elsewhere, say Illinois' sluggish population growth stems from the rest of the state going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,275 posts, read 5,502,584 times
Reputation: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I didn't know Illinois had any outside of the Chicago metro area. Especially since it seems people on CD, from Chicago and elsewhere, say Illinois' sluggish population growth stems from the rest of the state going downhill.
There are a number of smaller metro areas (Champaign-Urbana, Bloomington, Springfield, even the Quad Cities and parts of the Metro East) that historically have had lower unemployment and higher percentage growth rate than the Chicago metro in the past couple of decades. In Illinois, statewide rural population is decreasing and the Chicago metro is barely growing comparing current estimates to the 2010 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 03:28 PM
 
1,112 posts, read 699,389 times
Reputation: 396
Maryland's is surely New Jersey. Two major cities, "Mid-Atlantic", geography influenced by the fall line, climate more similar. Why would someone choose Massachusetts?

With New York having Maryland, I think there was just no other option for OP. Maybe if Maine has some ethnic industrial cities it would be a better match. I would expect Rhode Island to be culturally more similar to NY than MD is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top