U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 17,507 times

Advertisements

It's funny that you picked New York-Maryland pair, because I never would have thought of that. I have only been to Maryland once, and live in New York, but I can kinda see some of the similarities. I'm curious, what were your reasons for choosing those two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 AM

30,061 posts, read 27,603,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Maryland's is surely New Jersey. Two major cities, "Mid-Atlantic", geography influenced by the fall line, climate more similar. Why would someone choose Massachusetts?
Massachusetts was probably chosen because both are highly affluent, relatively small states. I think that's pretty much the only major point of comparison though.

I agree with MD/NJ. You have the affluent suburbs of a neighboring major city located in both, and Baltimore and Newark share obvious similarities as essentially East Coast Rust Belt cities. The eastern shore has similarities with south Jersey and both even have popular beach towns named Ocean City.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM

2,323 posts, read 3,027,950 times
MD = MA ??????? But then again I'm just a hick on the eastern shore so the only non neighboring state from my perspective that comes close is NC. Perhaps if I lived in the suburbs of DC i"d think NJ.... But Mass???

Old 02-08-2017, 10:01 AM

779 posts, read 852,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie_Furnishr View Post
It's funny that you picked New York-Maryland pair, because I never would have thought of that. I have only been to Maryland once, and live in New York, but I can kinda see some of the similarities. I'm curious, what were your reasons for choosing those two?
I'd pair New York with Michigan. Both have its largest city by far in the southeastern portions of their states, both are clearly northern and border Ontario, are fairly similarly sized, have several mid-sized industrial cities, has a similar humid continental climate, have multiple Great Lakes, and Michigan was highly settled by New Yorkers. Of course, over the past few decades, their differences have grown, with New York having its coastal location as its main advantage, although Michigan is making some strides to improving its economy.

Despite a few similarities with Baltimore, Maryland is quite distinct from New York itself, and I'd even go as far saying that it has a much in common with North Carolina than with New York. Its predominant form of government is the county, has generally newer suburban development, is considerably smaller, is noticeably milder with only a few days in the winter with snow cover outside of the far western part of the state, and its Eastern Shore is nothing like Long Island, with lots of rural backwoods areas and just one beach resort that is more like Virginia Beach or even Myrtle Beach.

BTW, New Jersey's best companion is Connecticut, and that's easier to explain (both share portions with the NYC area, are among the densest populated, have a noticeable shoreline, contain some mountains in the northwestern portions, are very wealthy overall)

Old 02-08-2017, 10:16 AM

13,244 posts, read 24,531,655 times
Montana is like a bigger Colorado with fewer people.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 AM

30,061 posts, read 27,603,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
MD = MA ??????? But then again I'm just a hick on the eastern shore so the only non neighboring state from my perspective that comes close is NC. Perhaps if I lived in the suburbs of DC i"d think NJ.... But Mass???
If you were familiar with south Jersey, you could see the similarities.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:23 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,454,714 times
For NC I would pair it with PA instead of MD.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:24 AM

1,112 posts, read 703,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Why NC over New Jersey?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,605,729 times
Maryland is not really similar to New Jersey. Maryland has many parallels with Missouri. Both are regional border states that share many similarities with two U.S regions, and their largest cities (Baltimore and St Louis) share a lot of similarities.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,435,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Comparing mountain states with flat ones is a stretch to me, specially mountain west to Northeast states
Washington and Maine both have rocky coastlines, and pine forests. Aren't both Montana and Utah mountain states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or