Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:01 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,569,294 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about finding out which neighbourhoods in your city are known to be the most culturally diverse. Are they known to be the most diverse in the county, state/province or country? If there's a criteria for this discussion, I'd say there has to be a minimum of 80 different cultures/languages within that neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:32 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,155,319 times
I believe Rogers Park is the most diverse neighborhood in Chicago, or at least that's how Loyola likes touting the neighborhood. If it's not number one, then it's certainly up there at the very least. I do believe that statistic is based on racial diversity though, as I am uncertain if information on cultural diversity is readily available.

In terms of it being known statewide, it isn't a particularly known part of Chicago in the rest of Illinois. Those in the Chicago area have heard of it though at the very least due to it being home to Loyola though.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:05 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,391,299 times
Quote:
I'd say there has to be a minimum of 80 different cultures/languages within that neighbourhood.
You won't even see that in NYC.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,569,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Well if Toronto and Montreal have multiple neighbourhoods with 80+ languages, cultures or ethnicities, I'm sure NYC has this as well.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,155,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Well if Toronto and Montreal have multiple neighbourhoods with 80+ languages, cultures or ethnicities, I'm sure NYC has this as well.
Keep in mind that some of the most diverse cities in the United States are also some of the most segregated. Not saying those neighborhoods don't exist (I honestly have no idea if they do or not), but I'm just pointing out the segregation issue facing many American cities.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times
Quote:
This is wrong. Jackson Heights neighborhood in Queens has over 150 languages spoken there

Edit: 167 languages apparently

Anyways, for NYC I definitely think the most diverse neighborhoods are probably in Queens. Jackson Heights is definitely a contender

Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I lived in NYC, personally speaking, I only lived among AA's, West Indians and Hispanics. The only language I usually came across was Spanish. Sure, there were other races, cultures, and ethnicities as well, but to add up to 80+, that sounds a bit high.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,195,164 times
Quote:
I lived in NYC, personally speaking, I only lived among AA's, West Indians and Hispanics. The only language I usually came across was Spanish. Sure, there were other races, cultures, and ethnicities as well, but to add up to 80+, that sounds a bit high.
It's not. That's one neighborhood that you lived in. NYC is a big place. Not to mention that going by languages that you remember hearing regularly on the street is not a very good form of measurement. I can't even name 80 different languages myself.

As I said earlier, Jackson Heights Queens has over twice as many languages spoken. I'm sure there are many other Queens neighborhoods with 80+ languages as well. Probably in some other boroughs too.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:46 PM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
The Atlanta suburb of Clarkston, far and away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMglUCzaSw

Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 PM
_OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It's not. That's one neighborhood that you lived in. NYC is a big place. Not to mention that going by languages that you remember hearing regularly on the street is not a very good form of measurement. I can't even name 80 different languages myself.

As I said earlier, Jackson Heights Queens has over twice as many languages spoken. I'm sure there are many other Queens neighborhoods with 80+ languages as well. Probably in some other boroughs too.
I think that's so skewed though. It's not like Nigeria, where you actually have areas that speak SEVERAL different languages. Even still, to measure diversity based on the amount of languages, seems very far-fetched. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.