U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 2,115 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a soon to be single black American man in his late 40's and have lived the past 24 years in Germany (non military). Due to this impending change in my relationship status I'm considering relocating back to the States soon. I'm just unsure where. I was born and raised in Detroit, lived 3 years in E. Lansing MI and 4 in Boston. In my 24 years abroad I've been back to the states only once and that was just for 2 weeks. I'm passionately into mountain biking, running and photography and I absolutely love the mountains, especially alpine areas. I would love to make these activities and areas suitable for said activities the focus of my search for a new home.
After a little research online I thought that Colorado would be ideal, specifically Boulder, Colorado Springs or Fort Collins. What gives me pause is that because my emphasis is on outdoor activities I’m worried about such things as rattlesnakes, bears and mountain lions. In most of Europe the only thing you have to worry about, even at night, are wild boars and even that is not really a problem. Are there places in the States where you can enjoy nature without running any risks?
I'm looking for a mid-sized to large city that isn't too far away from a metropolitan area, has a dry climate, is in a mountainous region and is relatively liberal.
I'm not looking for some kind of AA enclave or some specifically AA culture or activities in my new home. I just don't want to feel unwelcome.
The icing on the cake would be if there was the possibility to speak German on a more or less regular basis (Stammtisch or a German club).
I think I can rule out the following regions:

The Pacific Northwest (too rainy)
The South(too conservative, too hot, racial tensions?)
Southwestern States(too hot?)
Alaska(Winters are way too long)

Other than that I’m open to suggestions. I will reiterate that year round outdoor recreation/sport is essential.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 11:18 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
I think your concerns about rattlesnakes, bears and mountain lions are way out of proportion to the reality. All three are typically afraid of humans as much as we are of them and single digit incidents annually in whichever area you wind up in are kind of ridiculous odds if you consider the higher probabilities involved with car accidents, becoming a violent crime victim or even struck by lightning. Given all of your criteria the Boulder area makes the most sense in my opinion if you can get past the "hazards". Good luck!

Old 02-05-2017, 11:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,037,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman View Post
I'm looking for a mid-sized to large city that isn't too far away from a metropolitan area, has a dry climate, is in a mountainous region and is relatively liberal.
I'm not looking for some kind of AA enclave or some specifically AA culture or activities in my new home. I just don't want to feel unwelcome.
The icing on the cake would be if there was the possibility to speak German on a more or less regular basis (Stammtisch or a German club).
I will reiterate that year round outdoor recreation/sport is essential.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions and comments.
Sacramento, or even better, Folsom CA? Near mountains, liberal (if you go by % voting for Clinton), and if you Google "Stammtisch Sacramento" there are several hits - all in German, so hard to tell what they're communicating). You're close to mountains (Folsom more so than Sacramento) and Lake Tahoe's only 2 hrs away, Bay Area a little less than 2 hours.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:50 AM

6,567 posts, read 3,664,491 times
Check out New Mexico -- Albuquerque or Santa Fe or something nearby in the high desert will have a near perfect climate. Higher elevation keeps things relatively cool. Albuquerque has a German cultural society and is a mountain bikers' heaven. There is an interesting music and arts scene -- and of course, a brew-pub explosion. I do photography on a weekly basis - some from my front porch (night sky, balloon fiesta, sunsets). This is a 'blue' state with a 2 million residents and a high degree of diversity and tolerance, especially in the urban areas. We have wildlife, like any western region, but no serious encounters but an occasional sighting. I see coyotes quite often but they are a problem only if you let your pets run loose and unsupervised. Roadrunners seem to control the snake population around my house. I've not seen any rattlesnakes but a couple harmless coach-whip snakes visited a few years ago and then moved on.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
The Front Range Urban Corridor of CO seems to be a good fit.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think your concerns about rattlesnakes, bears and mountain lions are way out of proportion to the reality.
Thanks for your input. My fears were fueled more or less by online horror stories and the fact that I know such "hazardous" animals live wildly in parts of the States.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Check out New Mexico -- Albuquerque or Santa Fe or something nearby in the high desert will have a near perfect climate. Higher elevation keeps things relatively cool.
Thanks for the tip! Strange, I always associated New Mexico with a warm climate.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:23 PM

25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times
What do you want now or next? Do you love snow or want heat? I've never lived in big cat country, but snakes are everywhere.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:37 PM

@Gerania
I currently live in a small town (ca 50,000) about 55 miles north of Frankfurt, Germany. This area is hilly at best. My dream would be to live somewhere where peaks of up to and above 6500 ft. are easily accessible. Like I posted above I'm heavily into mountain biking, hiking and would like to add hill climbing per road bike to my training. I hate heat and humidity. Snow is okay for a few months in the year but I don't as of yet ski. Important is as long a period of moderate weather as possible.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,437,888 times
Just an unrelated tip since you mentioned you weren't military: have you been filing your US income taxes all those years as all US citizens living abroad are required to do for worldwide income? Don't want you to have any nasty IRS surprises in your first year back. You can of course file past returns now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.