U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times

Advertisements

I rarely see any Mexican license plates around here, I do see a lot of California and Texas plates in Mexican majority areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM

7,691 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That was why. They didn't understand "the struggle".
Also more likely to be Mayan.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
I think Arizona's is pretty obvious. Almost exclusively Sonoran. You won't find much Baja or Chihuahua immigrants but you will find their cuisine relatively easily especially in Tucson which is a sanctuary city.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:03 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,761,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Chicago: Michoacán, Durango, Zacatecas, Guanajuato, Queretaro, Aguascalientes, Morelos, Nuevo Laredo
Milwaukee: Jalisco, Michoacán, Morelos
Minneapolis-St. Paul: Morelos, Jalisco, Michoacán
Kansas City: Jalisco, Zacatecas, Aguascalientes
Detroit: Michoacán, Jalisco
Cleveland: Guanajuato
Houston: Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Veracruz, Zacatecas, Campeche, Tabasco, Yucatán, Puebla, Oaxaca, Chihuahua
Dallas: Nuevo Leon, Chihuahua, Durango, Queretaro, Michoacán, Aguascalientes, San Luis Potosi
Phoenix: Sonora, Michoacán, Baja California
Denver: Chihuahua, Zacatecas
Los Angeles: Baja California, Sinaloa, Michoacan, Jalisco, Central Mexico
San Francisco Bay Area: Michoacan, Jalisco
Where did you get this list from?

Old 02-11-2017, 12:10 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,761,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I live in New York and the Mexican population here is mostly from Puebla, Mexico City, and Oaxaca, probably in that order. Some other Southern Mexican states are also represented.

I'm curious what the patterns for other parts of the US are. This is relevant partly because it determines what kinds of Mexican food you can get in a given area. In NYC there are lots of Puebla options but not much in the way of Baja cuisine, for instance.

Side note, I found it very difficult to word the title in a way that made sense.
My family is from Michoacan, Jalisco and Baja California, they settled in California in the late 1800s. My paternal great grandfather lived in Chicago for a while and my maternal great grandfather in Colorado (he died there), working in factories and building roads.

From what I know the migration pattern to New York started in the early 1980s (if I am not mistaken) and it is one of the newer communities in the US.

Here in southern CA (by the border) there are people mostly from Baja CA, Sinaloa, Sonora, Jalisco, Michoacán and Oaxaca. Oaxacans have been coming to CA since the 1960s but people tend to ignore them as a community (not sure why, maybe because many are indigenous and more reserved).

Old 02-12-2017, 10:19 AM

605 posts, read 466,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Where did you get this list from?
various online sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Brock View Post
San Antonio doesn't get very many immigrants.
San Antonio actually attracts a lot of wealthy Mexican immigrants (Houston as well). Anyways I think most Mexican immigrants in San Antonio and Austin come from Nuevo Leon or Tamaulipas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or