U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,462,538 times

Advertisements

I live in a small sized metro (about 460 K) and from a daily life perspective, it's great. There are things to do and decent people. Being gay doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of acceptance or anything like that.

What can be a problem are dating options. There are probably about 400 single gay men within +/- 3 years of my age, most of whom will not show mutual interest. So living in a larger area for that reason might be beneficial. There is a large metro area, a medium-sized metro area, and a few other smaller metro areas within 80 miles of me, and nobody from those areas seems interested from a distance perspective, because they mostly don't have to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:59 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I live in a small sized metro (about 460 K) and from a daily life perspective, it's great. There are things to do and decent people. Being gay doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of acceptance or anything like that.

What can be a problem are dating options. There are probably about 400 single gay men within +/- 3 years of my age, most of whom will not show mutual interest. So living in a larger area for that reason might be beneficial. There is a large metro area, a medium-sized metro area, and a few other smaller metro areas within 80 miles of me, and nobody from those areas seems interested from a distance perspective, because they mostly don't have to be.

Yes, it makes a difference whether you're single or not. I'm not single (even when I was, I was in a committed non-official relationship) so my criteria isn't the same as someone else's. But I agree, the one disadvantage is for single gay folks; less dating options. Once you're in a relationship, its not an issue.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,324,231 times
I'd probably have difficulty adjusting to single life in Albuquerque and may not have considered living here otherwise if I were. I was single the whole time I lived in Seattle for five years, and I lived right in the gay neighborhood during my 20's. Looking back it was an ideal place to experience being single and the advantages that come with that. During that time I wanted to find a partner, but as I got older I realized the less I worried about being single and hunting for the right guy is exactly when my guy came around. Cliche, I know but true nonetheless.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,321,555 times
Gay people are everywhere, even in my small country town there are gays who hold high level positions at the local bank, work at Wal-Mart and Kroger and cut hair at Great Clips.

The notion that gays only exist in major cities is quite outmoded in 2017.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'd probably have difficulty adjusting to single life in Albuquerque and may not have considered living here otherwise if I were. I was single the whole time I lived in Seattle for five years, and I lived right in the gay neighborhood during my 20's. Looking back it was an ideal place to experience being single and the advantages that come with that. During that time I wanted to find a partner, but as I got older I realized the less I worried about being single and hunting for the right guy is exactly when my guy came around. Cliche, I know but true nonetheless.
Oh I don't worry about it anymore. I already know how things will be. I mean, the fact that I'm 32 and never had a single relationship in my life is basically writing on the wall lol.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:00 PM

337 posts, read 303,766 times
I'm a gay male in my mid-20s who lives in Erie, PA. The metro is home to approximately 280,000 people. I moved once (to Phoenix, AZ) but have since moved back because I missed family and friends. I'm pretty neutral about it. Obviously we don't have the amount of LGBT folks that larger cities have, but it could be worse...I'm not to worried now. I would like a relationship.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
What's behind your OP? Are you looking to move somewhere? Are you simply wanting to find out if your life is better or worse than others?

Being gay is just one dimension of my being. It has not driven where I live. Why is it important to you? Do you want to surround yourself with gay friends and acquaintances? Do you want to party every night?

Or do you simply want to find a place where you can be yourself? If so, you can be yourself pretty much anywhere. That depends on you and not where you live. You will find happy gay people in villages of 500 people and miserable gay people in NYC.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:33 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
I imagine that it could make a big difference depending on whether you are L, B, G, or T.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,307 times
My home town is a metro of 300,000 people. There is a small gay scene there (1 bar) and the people are almost all very happy. I'll say though that the happy ones generally moved there with partners they found elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:19 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I imagine that it could make a big difference depending on whether you are L, B, G, or T.
Not really with L, G, or B however very definitely for T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.