U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a Filipina (25) procurement engineer with 4 years experience...I am currently working and living in Tokyo, Japan but seriously, in my 3 years of stay I never liked or even learned to like living here and maybe starting a life here... I've been thinking of moving to US or maybe working in NYC area.. Do you know of any big engineering companies who can sponsor visa? And pls. advice if there's a good future for me in US?

Is there any possibility that I can migrate even without any family or relatives in US?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,199,593 times
Yes lots of Pinoy/Pinay people in NYC. Fairly large community, especially in Queens and Jersey City.

Immigrating through family members to the USA is particularly long for Fillipinos so it is actually better to do it through your job.

Your best bet would probably be to attempt to get an H-1B visa to work in the USA. I don't know of any companies that specialize in Engineering in the USA, but I am sure there are many that hire foreign workers.

One warning though. Most companies that hire H-1B workers underpay them a good deal compared to their American workers. I know in the computer industry Americans with computer science degrees usually can earn $50,000/$60,000, while for the same job a person with a computer degree from India will only be paid $30,000-$40,000.

However since you are from the Phillipines I am sure you will be able to budget your money better than the average American, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,063 times
Hello
so your from the Philippines? What part? I've got family in lungsod ng cebu and Maynila. we're Chinese though, although by your name...you're part Chinese aren't you?
If you're an engineer I would head towards San Jose, Near the more Famous San Francisco.
There is a thriving Pinoy and Pinay population there. The Silicon Valley is there, if you can be heard it could be like an engineer's heaven.
Less Engineer type areas are Chicago which also has a huge pinoy/pinay population, and Dallas which has a smaller one but I still hear Filipino around here, definitely not as much as California though.
NYC would also be a nice choice but it'll be just as hard getting heard there and San Jose so I would probably head towards California. NYC has a pretty big Filipino population but over 10% (probably way over) of the US Asian population lays in the Bay area.
Cities that are good for filipino San Francisco/ San Jose (the whole bay area), Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, and NYC
or if you want to be more broad...Asian population:all the listed above plus Houston, Seattle, Washington DC, Dallas, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and MAYBE: Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Portland
But any big city should have room for an engineer, I would focus on San Jose.
Hindi ka dapat mag-alala! Ingat Ka, Mabuhay!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
Wow, thank you for your advices..mabuhay po kayo...i'm from Cebu area.. and yes I'm part Chinese but i don't speak the language I can speak Japanese. Anyhow, where do you think I can get a job listing with companies offering an H1-B visa? I know agencies helping but the placement is huge probably around 7T USD...

Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 AM

786 posts, read 2,321,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dione_chiong View Post
Hello everyone, I am a Filipina (25) procurement engineer with 4 years experience...I am currently working and living in Tokyo, Japan but seriously, in my 3 years of stay I never liked or even learned to like living here and maybe starting a life here... I've been thinking of moving to US or maybe working in NYC area.. Do you know of any big engineering companies who can sponsor visa? And pls. advice if there's a good future for me in US?

Is there any possibility that I can migrate even without any family or relatives in US?

Thanks
Since you're part chinese, what about moving to China (Shanghai?)? The economy sucks right now in the USA...seriously sucks, and your coming here might take away a job from a current resident....LOL.... I have several friends in IT who have been looking for work for several months already with no luck.

Btw, your fluency in japanese might be a big help here in USA though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or