U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,605,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A lot of people who live in the NYC burbs work there. They know the city well enough.
I live on Long Island, 7 miles from the NYC border. I work in Queens. I am in NYC all the time to hang out. I know the city very well. However I still wouldn't say that I live in NYC.

That being said, there's certainly a huge cultural difference between the many NYCers and many Long Islanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,605,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Depends on where you spend your free time.
Good point. If you're familiar enough with the city and consider it a place you like to spend free time, then I think you can associate yourself with said city. If your experience in the city proper is limited to seeing hockey games and tourist attractions, then no.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Good point. If you're familiar enough with the city and consider it a place you like to spend free time, then I think you can associate yourself with said city. If your experience in the city proper is limited to seeing hockey games and tourist attractions, then no.
Very true. I have friends who live in Iowa and come to visit in Chicago maybe once a month or so. After years of doing this they know their way around with no problems, can deal with city driving, parking, dealing with people, jumping on the train by themselves and getting around the city without batting an eye. They are Iowans and live in Iowa, but they have the mentality and can "handle" Chicago FAR better than many suburban Chicagoans I know who only come into the city once every year or so and then stay clinging onto someone who knows what's going on or they're all abuzz about parking or traffic or how to get somewhere, blah blah, blah.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,297,582 times
You cannot by those who live in the metropolitan area. You will just be guy who lives in the suburbs.

You can by people who live outside of major metropolitan areas or in the country. I always considered kids from the suburbs of Chicago going to school in Indiana big city kids because we were just a bunch of country indiana kids and they were from a major metro area.

You do get bonus points though if you work downtown in the big city with a decent job. But then why would you live in the suburbs?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM

3,409 posts, read 1,340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You do get bonus points though if you work downtown in the big city with a decent job. But then why would you live in the suburbs?
Less crime, better schools, cheaper real estate...

Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,297,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you were an"big city guy" you would choose the city.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
...cleaner, newer, easy to get around, parking, more variety, friendlier, lower taxes, space, yards, trees,...

It is amazing how our societies' view of the reality of city living has been skewed over the last 10 years by the media. Like people living in the city are better and their lives are more fulfilled than those in the burbs where country bumpkins live and are out of touch. There is obviously a better quality of living in the suburbs but the mass media is so pro-city.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
If you were an"big city guy" you would choose the city.
Because you can't afford a house in the city, rents are high, and the schools terrible.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,001,280 times
Depends on the suburb. Orange County, California is constantly debated between a suburb of Los Angeles or its own identity like San Diego. I can tell you from my recent Christmas/New Year visit that it's super crowded (not as bad as L.A. County but much worse than the Houston suburbs I'm used to). I can also tell you that the Big 4 Accounting firms have suburban offices along the 405 in the O.C. and have the main metropolitan office in Downtown L.A, based on the exterior building signage.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,340,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Depends on the suburb. Orange County, California is constantly debated between a suburb of Los Angeles or its own identity like San Diego.
Among whom?? If it weren't for Los Angeles, Orange County wouldn't be 1/10th of what it is while San Diego exists independent of Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or