U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,471,764 times

Advertisements

My biggest annoyance with CA cities in General, with San Francisco being the exception, is that they all seem to be way too suburbanized and not like real cities. You can't walk out and do all your rounds on foot. Everything is too spread out. The grocer is 2 miles that way, the hardware store is 2 miles the other way, and the post office is somewhere else entirely. I live in the SF East Bay and it has everything you could possibly imagine but you'll be doing some serious driving to get to it. The only convenient local Mom & Pop stores are liquor stores and you don't even have those except in bad neighborhoods. The zoning laws in this state are sort of insane. Businesses tend to be huge operations but zoning prevents things like local neighborhood hardware stores where people actually live. It really is true that life in CA cities is virtually impossible without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM

721 posts, read 2,355,573 times
The smell from the paper and strandboard mills in Duluth reeks when the wind shifts and blows that nasty odor downtown which catches a lot of people off guard.

Like the comment from the post about Youngstown, Duluth has a huge number of people that are msierable and hate their city and don't see any future for it. I guess that may happen when you live in a place that has declined for the last 30 years. Sorry folks, the steel mills and 30 hr manufacturing jobs are not coming back! Time to stop moaning and invest in the new economy.

The city has a lot going for it and they just can't pull their heads out of the sand to see it. Four growing colleges and universities, expanding medical campus, business incubators, and CIrrus Design expanding left and right.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,337,974 times
I don't understand why any Duluthian would grumble with a reminder right next door of how much worse it could be. All you need to do is look across the bay and say, "at least we're not Superior..."

In all honesty, I think I'd go a little batty up there too. Just not enough "urban" goin' on for me up there...

Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM

386 posts, read 1,538,858 times
I'll do my two cities:

St. Louis: Super-ghetto in some parts. Super-duper-ghetto in others.

Denver: This city has a lot--but only if you bother staying a while. Visitors to Denver will probably notice how terrible the drivers are. They are....bad.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:32 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,023,350 times
Cincinnati-

Some of the most aggressive panhandling (the city made it illegal, though unfair)

Pollution and haze make it hard to breathe in the summertime

One way streets and dead ends

Bad traffic

Old 03-03-2008, 01:39 PM

135 posts, read 463,105 times
Charleston,SC:

The roads have not been properly maintained and have not kept pace with growth along the Southcoast. I-26/I-526 will be jammed anytime between 4pm-7pm. Granted our traffic jams don't compare to cities like Atlanta or Miami, they are sizable for a metro area with our population. A few years back, a study confirmed that Charleston,SC had one of the worst commute times out of comparable cities.

The stagnant heat/humidity through fall. Most people expect SC to be hot, but summer does not really end here until late October, which surprises and/or annoys people from areas that actually have fall.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 03-03-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,431,178 times
Alot of travelers might be unaware of the uneducated thugs that lurk in the inner city of Charleston, WV. Yes, even WV has some inner-city type thugs that can really ruin a good time for everyone.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM

30,268 posts, read 67,443,225 times
Scranton, PA---Negativity and Pessimism. I'm an anomaly amid a sea of "the sky is falling" types. People here overdramatize minor flaws and make mountains out of mole hills on a daily basis. The city of 72,500 or so had 1 murder in 2005, 0 murders in 2006, 2 in 2007, and 1 thus far in 2008, but everyone says "the crime is SOOOO high!!!" The school district is actually above-average for an urban school district, yet people whine about the school quality. For God's sakes I'm a raging homosexual and I'm not as much of a drama queen as half of these people can be at times! LOL! I think people come to the city and expect to get that good old-fashioned "Pennsylvania hospitality" when many are shocked to hear everyone say "Why the hell would you come HERE for vacation?" People here have a MAJOR inferiority complex, and until the residents realize that Scranton does not equal Hell, we'll have a difficult time progressing into the 21st Century.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-03-2008 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,634,472 times
St. Louis, like WestCoDude said, has some major ghetto issues. I feel uncomfortable living as close as I do to East St. Louis. It also gets very hot and humid in the summer, and can get quite cold in the summer, but that doesn't really bother me. I'm just beginning to notice the amount of litter in the city too. I don't know if there's more than usual, or I'm just noticing it, but there's a lot!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Alot of travelers might be unaware of the uneducated thugs that lurk in the inner city of Charleston, WV. Yes, even WV has some inner-city type thugs that can really ruin a good time for everyone.
Rest assured they seem to be everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or