U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Scranton, PA---Negativity and Pessimism. I'm an anomaly amid a sea of "the sky is falling" types. People here overdramatize minor flaws and make mountains out of mole hills on a daily basis. The school district is actually above-average for an urban school district, yet people whine about the school quality. For God's sakes I'm a raging homosexual and I'm not as much of a drama queen as half of these people can be at times! LOL! I think people come to the city and expect to get that good old-fashioned "Pennsylvania hospitality" when many are shocked to hear everyone say "Why the hell would you come HERE for vacation?" People here have a MAJOR inferiority complex, and until the residents realize that Scranton does not equal Hell, we'll have a difficult time progressing into the 21st Century.
1)From my observations the 'negativity & pessimism' seems to be a common thing in PA and the northeast in general. It's probably a combination of the gloomy weather and in PA the loss of blue collar jobs etc.

2)From what I've seen of homosexuals they seem to have an 'above-average' optimism about everything. So to them everyone's a whiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM

4,948 posts, read 7,877,958 times
It's not an unpleasantry, but I think a lot of people who don't know are surprised by the cost of housing and land out here in Western Montana. I see a lot of people saying they're just going to come out to Montana, get a couple of acres, put a trailor on it, and "live off the land". They need to know that, at least in this part of Montana, just an acre of land is going for almost $100,000 dollars right now! That's with nothing on it! I was very surprised also.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's not an unpleasantry, but I think a lot of people who don't know are surprised by the cost of housing and land out here in Western Montana. I see a lot of people saying they're just going to come out to Montana, get a couple of acres, put a trailor on it, and "live off the land". They need to know that, at least in this part of Montana, just an acre of land is going for almost $100,000 dollars right now! That's with nothing on it! I was very surprised also.
I think 'sticker shock' would be considered an unpleasantry
The rising costs are probably from the influx of Californians causing pricing spikes,it's happening on the east coast also with all the northeasterners moving to the once affordable southeast!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,829,728 times
San Diego:

Lots of fake/stuck up/conceited people

Transplants act like they're the **** cuz they now live in SoCal, and make native locals look bad

Outside the city and away from the coast, life in San Diego is dull just like that idiot sweetclimber says.

rainy days are like holidays to me. i hate the fact that i have to wait once every 4 months to see even drizzle or a stretch of cloudiness. i hate the fact that it's always sunny! love the consistent temperature though

our light rail system goes to downtown from 3 different regions of the county -- all the ghetto areas!!!

and damn it, everything here is expensive as $%^&*() %^&*( $%^&*!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM

48,106 posts, read 45,475,380 times
When alot of people come to Atlanta, there is that Southern hospitality expected and a more easy-going lifestyle. Honestly, the driving here is horrible and scary. If you chose to be a pedestrian, good luck. How do you think Margaret Mitchell died? She was hit by a car in Atlanta, her hometown ironically. And this was 1949. The summers in Atlanta are not only hot, but intensely humid. There are bugs everywhere during the hot months and the pollution is horrible most of the year. MARTA is a joke. It only runs for two small counties. Whoever has heard the phrase "the city too busy to hate" should be aware that there are racial tensions out here. Alot of it is kept hush-hush because it makes the city look bad.
Atlanta is also violent and crime is also rising in the suburbs too. Even places like Kennesaw and Roswell are getting dangerous.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM

721 posts, read 2,352,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't understand why any Duluthian would grumble with a reminder right next door of how much worse it could be. All you need to do is look across the bay and say, "at least we're not Superior..."

In all honesty, I think I'd go a little batty up there too. Just not enough "urban" goin' on for me up there...
You're right. I could have the Murphy Oil Refinery in my yard. Superior is much worse. I feel better now!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,060,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
For example, many people are aware that Tucson, AZ is a desert city that often breaks 100 degrees in the summer. They are likely aware that the city attracts a lot of golf and hiking enthusiasts.

However, people who have not spent an extended period in Tucson are likely unaware that the piercing sound of fighter planes and military jets can often be heard, as there is an AFB on the edge of town. They are likely unaware that the city does not have any type of water drainage system, so certain streets in the city often flood with feet of water during the summer monsoon.
You always seem to show such an intimate knowledge of Tucson. How come you didn't start your thread with examples from North Scottsdale?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

942 posts, read 1,066,738 times
In reading these comment, both the San Francisco and Seattle

As San Franciso and Seattle both mentioned homeless in both cities. Well I add the other in this region of the country, Portland. For anyone moving to this area, I cannot stress enough the sheer amount of homeless out here is overwhelming. Unfortunately most here seem to think every city and town, village or street corner everywhere in america is the same. It really is sad to see the amount of it out here and how nonchalant it is taken by natives out here. I mean at least make an attempt to look for a way to look for a job, or giving money to people that obviously want to spend it on drugs or cigarettes, its pathetic.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,039 times
Houston unplesentries would be
1) too much road construction!!!!
2) bad traffic because of all that road construction
3) the city needs to improve it's public transportation (although plans are in motion here!)
4) I find some stretches of highway with too many billboards (eyesores)
5) once in a while, the heat is a little too much (my dog can't run with me too far when it gets hot enough)

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,602,734 times
In Salt Lake City there is a layer of smog over the city most of the year. People tout the area as "the place" and the focus is on the outdoors but if you drive around in your car, especially in the summer, the area can be overcast, smoggy and generally depressing. Salt Lake is supposedly a booming city but I don't know what area that would be except for the suburbs like Draper and Sandy. Both areas do not meet my criteria of a boom based on Texas standards and the suburbs in general are dry as dirt and filled with religious fanatics who take their kids everywhere they go (the importance of "family"). Some of my most unpleasant emotional experiences have been in these supposedly booming suburbs. I wouldn't recommend the area to my worst enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or