Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times

Advertisements

What are the unpleasantries of your city that might catch a visitor off-guard? Unpleasantries that most people who are not of your town are unaware of unless they spent several hours in your city (such as a overpowering odors from a factory, or loud sounds from planes). What are some unexpected unpleasantries that you have encountered on your travels to other cities

For example, many people are aware that Tucson, AZ is a desert city that often breaks 100 degrees in the summer. They are likely aware that the city attracts a lot of golf and hiking enthusiasts.

However, people who have not spent an extended period in Tucson are likely unaware that the piercing sound of fighter planes and military jets can often be heard, as there is an AFB on the edge of town. They are likely unaware that the city does not have any type of water drainage system, so certain streets in the city often flood with feet of water during the summer monsoon.

Another example is in San Diego, where planes often look like they're flying dangerously close to the top of buildings downtown due to the proximity of the airport to the city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
In Chicago, there are times when the whole city smells like ass. It's especially bad in the summers, but sometimes it happens in the winter too. I think it has something to do with the drainage system -- too much rotting vegetation sitting in stagnant water maybe?

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In Chicago, there are times when the whole city smells like ass.
Are you sure that it's not the onions that gave the city its name? (There are so many variations on the origin of "Chicago.")

Old 03-03-2008, 05:14 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Sometimes people may underestimate just how hot and cold it can get here (Missouri in general, not just St. Louis).

But other than that I think most unpleasant parts of St. Louis people either already know or they overexaggerate.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
San Francisco really only has one big problem that just irks me to no end.

The homeless problem is just unacceptable. This also has led to far too much panhandling. There is a stench of urine around where they hang out and they tend to be aggressive sometimes. They come here from all over the country because SFiscans are too torn on the issue to really crack down on them.

Sure we've got other problems but most of those dont really affect tourists.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
There are a large number of overly negative people in the Youngstown area. For some reason I can't understand, they hate where they live, and seem to want to see it fail. I've actually heard (well, read on a discussion board like this one) people say they can't wait for our new convocation center to close and get boarded up, for example.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Philthadelphia- Lot of trash on the streets,
Aggressive beggars,
Loud,foul language!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 AM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
Where I used to live--DC area:
Main thing you need to know about living there is you can't just jump in your car and drive to wherever your heart's desire. For instance, if you decide you'd like to drive downtown, you have to think what is the traffic going to be like at this time of day? Will I be able to find parking? Is it better to take Metro? Once you understand the traffic flows around town, you learn where you can go at what time of day and how you can get there.

Traffic is such a big issue in DC that it is always a topic of conversation at a DC party. For instance, you meet someone for the first time, chat, find out where they live and where they work, then inevitably the next question is, "What's your commute like?"

Where I live now, in Albuquerque:
Almost all the houses have walled-in backyards and people spend little time in their front yards (often they are covered with rocks). It doesn't give the neighborhoods a very friendly feel. I recently heard of two people in an Albuquerque neighborhood who lived across from each other for eight years and had never met!

Some people don't realize that we are as high as the "Mile-High City" Denver. If you like baking (like I do), it can be difficult because the altitude messes things up. Because this is the desert, there is a big difference between daytime temperatures and nighttime temperatures. Often, even in the summer, you need a light jacket in the evenings. It can get pretty cold here in the winters (although not as cold as some places up north), so if you're looking for Phoenix weather, don't come here.

There are not a lot of bugs here (yea!), but ants are everywhere. It seems like almost everyone is dealing with ants in their house. You see huge ant hills everywhere. (On the upside, I have been here over two years and have never been bitten by a mosquito!)

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Seattle-

The aggressive panhandling from the homeless is getting out of hand. They all hang out in the most touristy areas where the cruise ships dock during the summer, and it gives a bad first impression of the city. Also, people are often caught off guard at how hilly the city is. San Francisco has a rep for being seriously hilly, and Seattle is just as steep in some areas - let's just say that it doesn't mesh with the some of the older and more rotund tourists.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 AM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
Tampa Bay Area- outsiders may view this place as a tropical vacationland but may be unaware of its 3rd world like appearance in the city and away from the beaches. There are lots of overhead wires criss crossing in every direction and crumbling sidewalks. US 19 is a death highway and it has repeatedly ranked as the most dangerous road in the US for pedestrians. 100 fatalities in 5 years. Thats sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.