Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM

309 posts, read 760,001 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had any thoughts about living in Alaska? They could be serious thoughts or just fun casual day-dreaming thoughts. Also, for those of you who have had any thoughts or day-dreams about Alaska, I am curious what state you live in. I am interested to see how many different states from around the country will get mentioned in this thread. For example, I'm curious if anyone who lives as far away as Florida has had thoughts about Alaska. I live in Seattle so I am not that far from Alaska and Alaska would not be as big of a change for me as it would be for someone coming from Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
I live in Phoenix (Arizona in the hizouse) and I've always wanted to go to Alaska and see what winter actually feels like (hehe). In all seriousness though I've always wanted to visit Alaska but not live there. Just watching the National Geographic Channel and seeing how beautiful that state is has me very close to starting a savings fund titled "Alaska Vacation."

Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
I think about it all the time. Perhaps not a permanent move, but a full year at least, and if I like it enough, then yes a permanent one. One of my best friends just moved there, having never been before, and he now says he never wants to live anywhere else but in Alaska.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
No as I wouldn't want to live in a place that has very little daylight in the winter months.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Visiting? Anytime(especially now to escape this desert heat)! I love it up there, especially around summer solstice and the seemingly endless daylight. Alaska also has the very best mountain scenery this side of the Himalayas. Live up there for even one winter? I'll pass!

Not just the climate and seasons, Alaska is far too isolated from the rest of the world. Hawaii is isolated too, but I could deal with it more as the elements of the climate there are a lot more enjoyable and the cultural experience is a lot more palpable with blended American, Native Hawaiian, and international/Asian all felt pretty strong I wouldn't feel as isolated there. Hawaii also has a vibrant urban area for stimulation, Anchorage not so much.

However isolation and lack of a true big city is the basis of the appeal more many drawn to Alaska so I get that. My aunt has lived in Anchorage and has for 30 years and I've been up to visit three times. She says the best thing about Anchorage is it's 10 minutes away from the rest of Alaska.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-18-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
I've been to Alaska in the summer months. It was cool (interesting and temperature), but there wasn't enough going on. Things were just too quiet, and even at 60 degrees there were mosquitos. I liked visiting, but living there would be horrible IMO. The lack of a major city and winter weather is a huge turn off for me.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Let's see. Eight months of winter and four months of bad skiing. I'll pass.

However, I've always wanted to visit.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 AM

390 posts, read 941,084 times
No, I have never thought about living in Alaska but with global warming ramping up, I think it's something a lot of people might consider in the near future.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
If I were rich, I'd probably buy a vacation home there, but it I wouldn't want to live full time.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I am from Florida and absolutely I've thought about it. I daydream about life in all parts of the world, and under various social/economic/etc conditions. It's fun for me to imagine what life would be like in an alternate universe.

Now, would I actually want to do it? I think I can say with a lot of certainty that I will never permanently move to Alaska. I'd be totally open to living there for as long as one year; I think I'd find plenty to enjoy on a temporary basis. But at the same time the opportunity cost might be too great and I'd probably rather spend that year of my life somewhere higher on my list.

While the natural beauty is very appealing, as well as the intrigue of a isolated semi-urban industrial cities, crazy sunlight patterns (would definitely go to the midnight sun baseball game) curious indigenous populations, etc, I think for me it's outweighed by the lack of world-class arts (besides a few summer festivals), moderate weather, a diversity of quality ethnic cuisine and just lots of vibrancy and density. I don't think I can do without those things for more than 6-9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.