U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,477,661 times

Advertisements

For Los Angeles the most central city college is Los Angeles city College. The Metro stop at Santa Monica Blvd/Vermont is the nearest stop. Also LA Trade-Tech where Metro stop on Expo line between USC and Downtown LA. Other city colleges not too far from a Metro stop (like a 10ish minute walk from a Metro stop are Santa Monica College, Pasadena City College, East LA College, and Pierce College (but on Orange BRT line in the valley). Most people attend the one nearest to where they live since most are just out of high school and live with parents. Others choose certain ones like PCC and SMC which have a reputation that can get them better chance into top 4 year CA schools like USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSB UCSD, Pepperdine, Cal Poly. But I think most of them can do the same thing. Schools like PCC and SMC attract many hundreds of Foreign Students from all over but mainly Asia. There are others but not familiar if they are close to a Metro stop or how they are in general. Orange county college - I know many that went to USC, UCLA from there but thats in another county.

Los Angeles area has a decent Metro rail system that can take them to many big centers and nightlife areas like Santa Monica, Downtown LA, Hollywood, Koreatown, Pasadena, Long Beach. Using a bus with less than 15 minute ride in conjunction to the Metro will cover a huge portion. And a bus within 30 minutes of a Metro stop you pretty much cover most of the urban LA County area. If you can choose to live with money not a huge long term factor, I would stay nearish a Metro stop and have options to use public transit, or drive if you want or just take a short ride share ride.

While just my opinion the best (most walkable, transit rich NYC or SF type) area is Downtown LA. Downtown is a collection of small-midsize districts the size of midtown Manhattan. It includes Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Fashion, Arts, Financial, Civic districts and others. Even USC and Exposition Park are considered Downtown rather than South Central LA. SO if you want to live in the Downtown each area is unique in feel, vibrancy, and nightlife. Currently not fully connected with lots of dead zones like Parking lots, govt/skyscrapers buildings that are dead on weekends and after 6pm. Downtown is within reasonable commute to ELAC, LACC, LATTC, and not too far from PCC or SMC using Metro. But Downtown for the most part is one of the most expensive rental places in all of LA. You can find something affordable in the innercity hoods like Koreatown, East Hollywood, Westlake, Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights, area around USC, but you compromise affordability with more crime and less hip vibrant things like hip bars, restaurants. Downtown LA Hollywood, Old Town Pasadena, West Hollywood, Koreatown, Santa Monica Downtown are more or less main areas of nightlife with Bars, Restaurants things to do/see, and/or shopping. Then you got smaller local daylife and nightlife areas like Silver LAke, North Hollywood arts District, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Highland Park, Culver City Downtown, Venice and some others as well. Yeah I just named like a million places, sorry. Too many choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM

45 posts, read 49,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
For Los Angeles the most central city college is Los Angeles city College. The Metro stop at Santa Monica Blvd/Vermont is the nearest stop. Also LA Trade-Tech where Metro stop on Expo line between USC and Downtown LA. Other city colleges not too far from a Metro stop (like a 10ish minute walk from a Metro stop are Santa Monica College, Pasadena City College, East LA College, and Pierce College (but on Orange BRT line in the valley). Most people attend the one nearest to where they live since most are just out of high school and live with parents. Others choose certain ones like PCC and SMC which have a reputation that can get them better chance into top 4 year CA schools like USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSB UCSD, Pepperdine, Cal Poly. But I think most of them can do the same thing. Schools like PCC and SMC attract many hundreds of Foreign Students from all over but mainly Asia. There are others but not familiar if they are close to a Metro stop or how they are in general. Orange county college - I know many that went to USC, UCLA from there but thats in another county.

Los Angeles area has a decent Metro rail system that can take them to many big centers and nightlife areas like Santa Monica, Downtown LA, Hollywood, Koreatown, Pasadena, Long Beach. Using a bus with less than 15 minute ride in conjunction to the Metro will cover a huge portion. And a bus within 30 minutes of a Metro stop you pretty much cover most of the urban LA County area. If you can choose to live with money not a huge long term factor, I would stay nearish a Metro stop and have options to use public transit, or drive if you want or just take a short ride share ride.

While just my opinion the best (most walkable, transit rich NYC or SF type) area is Downtown LA. Downtown is a collection of small-midsize districts the size of midtown Manhattan. It includes Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Fashion, Arts, Financial, Civic districts and others. Even USC and Exposition Park are considered Downtown rather than South Central LA. SO if you want to live in the Downtown each area is unique in feel, vibrancy, and nightlife. Currently not fully connected with lots of dead zones like Parking lots, govt/skyscrapers buildings that are dead on weekends and after 6pm. Downtown is within reasonable commute to ELAC, LACC, LATTC, and not too far from PCC or SMC using Metro. But Downtown for the most part is one of the most expensive rental places in all of LA. You can find something affordable in the innercity hoods like Koreatown, East Hollywood, Westlake, Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights, area around USC, but you compromise affordability with more crime and less hip vibrant things like hip bars, restaurants. Downtown LA Hollywood, Old Town Pasadena, West Hollywood, Koreatown, Santa Monica Downtown are more or less main areas of nightlife with Bars, Restaurants things to do/see, and/or shopping. Then you got smaller local daylife and nightlife areas like Silver LAke, North Hollywood arts District, Los Feliz, Echo Park, Highland Park, Culver City Downtown, Venice and some others as well. Yeah I just named like a million places, sorry. Too many choices.
No, thank you so much. I really appreciate that because I have made a firm decision on LA. I plan on living in the Downtown area, so hopefully everything works out.

I will visit there in a couple of weeks to look at and check a few places out and then make a firm decision on neighborhood

Old 02-15-2017, 02:12 PM

4,164 posts, read 927,518 times
Nice choice, welcome to L.A. When you get here.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Nice choice, welcome to L.A. When you get here.
Hey, thanks! Just one question.

If anyone here reccomended a place to live would Downtown be alright? I should have a car, but probably not for the first couple months ( i have to come back to NJ/NY area for a wedding and planned on getting it then) would living Downtown be ok with no car?

In general is Koreatown or Hollywood better options? Im talking for things like: walkability, service industry opportunities, nightlife.

Ive also contemplated getting a bike as well

Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,245,295 times
California is again trying to extend last call to 4 AM with the "Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night Act". That would be a huge boon to LA nightlife.

Last call at California bars could be 4 a.m. under proposed law - LA Times

Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,812,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
California is again trying to extend last call to 4 AM with the "Let Our Communities Adjust Late Night Act". That would be a huge boon to LA nightlife.

Last call at California bars could be 4 a.m. under proposed law - LA Times
They already have that late hour call in Downtown LA. It wouldn't affect Downtown LA.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,245,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
They already have that late hour call in Downtown LA. It wouldn't affect Downtown LA.
What late hour call? Bars stop serving alcohol at 1:30 downtown.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:08 PM

594 posts, read 487,680 times
Will someone please be honest with the OP before they get swallowed up.
I don't care what you're getting for housing....YOU CANNOT AFFORD THOSE CITIES.
Take a visit to anyone of those cities and notice the homeless demographic. Notice their age, the families.
I don't want you to experience that.
I'm from San Diego, lived in L.A for years. These places are nothing to play with.
And expecially the requirements you mentioned....there's 20 million people there shooting for those same requirements.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Will someone please be honest with the OP before they get swallowed up.
I don't care what you're getting for housing....YOU CANNOT AFFORD THOSE CITIES.
Take a visit to anyone of those cities and notice the homeless demographic. Notice their age, the families.
I don't want you to experience that.
I'm from San Diego, lived in L.A for years. These places are nothing to play with.
And expecially the requirements you mentioned....there's 20 million people there shooting for those same requirements.
I don't quite follow. Housing is a substantial burden lifted

Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,477,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
Hey, thanks! Just one question.

If anyone here reccomended a place to live would Downtown be alright? I should have a car, but probably not for the first couple months ( i have to come back to NJ/NY area for a wedding and planned on getting it then) would living Downtown be ok with no car?

In general is Koreatown or Hollywood better options? Im talking for things like: walkability, service industry opportunities, nightlife.

Ive also contemplated getting a bike as well

I think it is best to ask this question in the Los Angeles city data forum, though I find that forum to be quite the anti-LA vibe with more people complaining than complimenting. Mostly a liberal-conservative thing.

But if you want to know what Downtown is like there are several facebook groups with names like DTLA, DTLA development which are the main ones. But it is mostly people who work and live there expressing ideas and opinons and it is not always in agreement. But youll learn what is going on in the hood, and what is opening or under construction.

Also some blogs like skyscraperpage /skyscrapercity com foums which mainly show developments/construction type info but posts lots of current pictures.

The Downtown LA news paper is a local one called ladowntownnews dot com. Excellent source of with articles of new restaurants, bars, and so on. Check it out and youll see maps and where the different streets of nightlife are in Downtown.

I would live in Downtown but im a urban city person. Many areas in Downtown arent that sketchy and feel safe/safeish. But the closer you are are to skid row's homeless area, the less safe it feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.