U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 AM

22,152 posts, read 23,676,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
Hey, thanks! Just one question.

If anyone here reccomended a place to live would Downtown be alright? I should have a car, but probably not for the first couple months ( i have to come back to NJ/NY area for a wedding and planned on getting it then) would living Downtown be ok with no car?

In general is Koreatown or Hollywood better options? Im talking for things like: walkability, service industry opportunities, nightlife.

Ive also contemplated getting a bike as well
What's called Downtown in Los Angeles is actually a really a large area. It's 5 square miles or so--compare that to Center City Philadelphia which is about 2 square miles which itself is a large downtown with many subsections. Basically, it specifically matters where in downtown Los Angeles you're looking at as some parts of downtown are extremely sketchy and other parts are just really industrial with little for you to do around. It's the same thing with Hollywood which is also really expansive. Koreatown's a little bit more self-contained.

For Koreatown or Hollywood, you've got a pretty safe bet that anywhere within a few blocks of the heavy rail Red and Purple subway lines will be pretty walkable and there will be a pretty good concentration of commercial businesses (and service industry jobs) and being along those lines also means you can use mass transit to go to other jobs along those lines. If you're going to LACC, consider living next to the school itself and next to the Vermont/Santa Monica stop which will be convenient, safe and relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other places along the heavy rail lines.

LA's a bit deceptive in that there are several neighborhoods that look very auto-centric to some extent, but that if you actually look around a bit, you'll find out that there are a lot of different kinds of shops within a really short walking distance and that people do actually walk to these. The one kind of store that you need to specifically look for if you want a walkable neighborhood is a grocery store even if it's a smaller one as that's one of those things where lugging any substantial amount of things is annoying via subway and sometimes you just need something small and specific real quick.

A bike in LA is pretty great--just be cautious as the car drivers are still for the most part getting used to it.

If you've settled on Los Angeles, then you should try taking this to that forum where you can get a lot more details.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-17-2017 at 08:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,310,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
What late hour call? Bars stop serving alcohol at 1:30 downtown.
This is insane! You would think LA and California in general wouldn't be like that.

I really hope that they are successful in extending the last call. It really hinders LAs nightlife a lot IMO. SF and other CA cities too.

Also: congrats on the decision and good luck with the move, OP!

Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,310,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Will someone please be honest with the OP before they get swallowed up.
I don't care what you're getting for housing....YOU CANNOT AFFORD THOSE CITIES.
Take a visit to anyone of those cities and notice the homeless demographic. Notice their age, the families.
I don't want you to experience that.
I'm from San Diego, lived in L.A for years. These places are nothing to play with.
And expecially the requirements you mentioned....there's 20 million people there shooting for those same requirements.
I disagree. A college student does not really need that much to get by. I'm a recent grad still in my early to mid 20s and I'm still pretty much living just like a college student, in NYC (which is more expensive than any of these cities) on a pretty low salary (early 30K).

OP probably won't need a lot of space, and probably doesn't have a family or kids or anything. They are also willing to give up their car, which would help a lot financially. They said they're gonna get a service industry job, which can actually pay pretty well in cities like LA.

OP if you just find some roommates and give up some space and amenities, you'll be fine. You may not be living the most glamorous/stereotypical LA life or whatever, but it'll be a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.