U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:46 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Whoa. You're the first person in recorded history to be able to predict weather 365 days in advance! Someone get this guy a job at the Weather Channel!
Anybody can predict anything at anytime, and many do-whether it is accurate or not is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM

266 posts, read 214,912 times
Fresno has a reputation for being foggy, but its a bit undeserved. There's probably two weeks on average of foggy days per year, which is nothing. I bet lots of bay area cities are foggier than Fresno. Can some years be brutally foggy, sure, but those are very rare.

Anyways, I haven't seen any fog in about a month, but 30 minutes south in tulare, you could hardly see anything this week. I couldn't believe how foggy it was down there. That extra 50-100 feet of elevation does wonders for keeping the fog away.

There's not much difference in weather between Fresno/Clovis and Hanford/tulare, but the fog totals are very different.

Last edited by Flovis; 02-15-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 09:16 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,607,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Fresno has a reputation for being foggy, but its a bit undeserved. There's probably two weeks on average of foggy days per year, which is nothing. I bet lots of bay area cities are foggier than Fresno. Can some years be brutally foggy, sure, but those are very rare.

Anyways, I haven't seen any fog in about a month, but 30 minutes south in tulare, you could hardly see anything this week. I couldn't believe how foggy it was down there. That extra 50-100 feet of elevation does wonders for keeping the fog away.

There's not much difference in weather between Fresno/Clovis and Hanford/tulare, but the fog totals are very different.
It seemed longer than a few weeks, at least the year I lived in Fresno. Defenetley the thickest fog I ever saw on my life and extremely dangerous to drive in. .

Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Considering Denver's normal high was 45 the day that 80 reading occured, that means in a different year, the high could have been just 10. Averages include all the extremes

Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 PM

266 posts, read 214,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It seemed longer than a few weeks, at least the year I lived in Fresno. Defenetley the thickest fog I ever saw on my life and extremely dangerous to drive in. .
When was that? Its been almost a decade since there's been a bad foggy season. Warmer winters = less fog. Ty climate change
The 99 freeway is definitely dangerous even with a little bit of fog.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
What's uncommon is monotonous weather devoid of large swings.
This describes Miami's weather. Save for very few days, the weather is very predictable throughout the year. Miami goes from warm to hot to hot&sticky to hot to warm....and repeat. There are very few wild swings in each season and some years there are none. This Winter, Miami maybe had 3 or 4 days where the high didn't reach 70. Given it's this late in the Winter, I don't expect any more days like that, rather a gradual warm up.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
It recently was in the 90's in Texas.I was not expecting it to get that hot in the winter.I think Vernon,Texas got to 98 this past saturday so Colorado is not the only state with weird weather,
Yep. Its been a weird winter. A few bursts of cold weather even snow, but mostly warm and record warmth too. Damn well nearly reached 90 the other day in my neck of the woods. But people expect Texas to be warm in winter (lots of people from up north or California assume all of Texas is like Florida in the winter, they are surprised to find out northern Texas has bare trees in winter and it drops down to the 20s and even lower sometimes) where as the assumption is that Colorado, being further north and mountainous, is very cold and snowy so 80s in Colorado in winter? Thats truly shocking!

Old 02-16-2017, 06:29 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Las Vegas gets colder in the winter than most people expect.
I was in Vegas for the first time last December and it was in the 40s and 30s. Good thing too cuz I had flown in from Portland and was wearing a jacket. We had a 6 hour layover and walked around the city. If it was anything warmer than 50 degrees I would have either been sweating my butt off or having to lug a jacket on top of my suitcase!

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM

17,683 posts, read 4,070,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yep. Its been a weird winter. A few bursts of cold weather even snow, but mostly warm and record warmth too. Damn well nearly reached 90 the other day in my neck of the woods. But people expect Texas to be warm in winter (lots of people from up north or California assume all of Texas is like Florida in the winter, they are surprised to find out northern Texas has bare trees in winter and it drops down to the 20s and even lower sometimes) where as the assumption is that Colorado, being further north and mountainous, is very cold and snowy so 80s in Colorado in winter? Thats truly shocking!
True.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I've heard that Colorado weather can be really weird. I've heard people say you can experience all 4 seasons in one day there.

We've had some weirdness in NYC lately too. It was 62 degrees last Wednesday afternoon. Then overnight it got down to the 20s and we had a snowstorm lasting all day Thursday, dumping almost a foot of snow on us. All in under 24 hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
True, and I agree that monotonous weather is actually the odd man out.

That said, I've lived all over the country and can vouch for the fact that parts of CO- especially along the Front Range- has some of the most erratic weather in the country. It is affected by massive mountains and systems to the west, while still subject to arctic and polar fronts that come unobstructed down the Great Plains. It's also at a relatively high elevation, which adds to the weirdness. We used to joke that the number on the thermometer often didn't correlate to what it actually felt like.

I remember numerous days wearing shorts- or at least short-sleeved shirts eating lunch, only to have a snowstorm barreling in by dinner. Likewise, chinook winds can quickly warm things up 20-40 degrees, sometimes in just a matter of minutes. I used to take screenshots of the five day weather forecasts, where fifty to sixty degree differences of high temperatures in a 24 to 48 hour period weren't that out of the norm- there's nothing quite like seeing highs in the 70's and single digits in the same week!
True, especially along the Front Range, from Ft. Collins to Pueblo.

Yes. The most stable weather I ever knew was in the midwest, central Illinois. There, one season followed another pretty "normally". There'd be cold winters and warm winters; hot summers and hotter summers, but snow was pretty much confined to the winter months, sometimes early spring. Here in CO, I've seen snow in September and snow in June; weather in the 70s every month of the winter between snows. I've seen 65 on New Year's Day and 70 on the 4th of July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If I recall correctly, we have had 1-3 inch snowstorms on Mother's Day each of the last 3 years. Like OP said, we had 80F in Denver last week. It will snow again (plenty) between now and the first half of May (we usually get 1 or 2 snows in May, I only remember one May in the last 10 years where we had 0 snow).

I've never seen it snow in Denver in June, but you could likely find it in the mountains somewhere in June.

The difference between Front Range Colorado and everywhere else is that our snow MELTS. Snow on top of snow if very rare here, and most snows fall on dry ground. This is a contrast from "regular snow country".
I've seen snow in June twice in the Denver area-1998 when my nephew graduated from HS, and June 5, 2005 when my daughter graduated. Have lived in the Denver area since 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or