U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:07 AM

13,242 posts, read 24,486,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was looking at it on Google Streetview thinking it's kind of a cool looking street, kind of urban with taller buildings than Ave Revolution. Then I started noticing the businesses...
Yep...

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM

9,902 posts, read 21,182,062 times
The difference crossing the RR tracks between the Cincinnati suburbs of Wyoming (super rich) and Lockland (very poor) is similar to Tijuana vs SD. What's weird is everyone stays in "their place". University of Louisville built some fancy dorms across the street from a very depressed neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2259...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,655,069 times
Baltimore has many examples, Guilford and Mt Vernon is 1-2 block from ghetto.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,410,374 times
It may have changed but Charleston, SC transitions pretty rapidly on King St. from clearly ghetto and rundown to a thriving commercial district.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,484,871 times
There are several in Los Angeles - Hancock Park is a very upscale area, but to the east is Koreatown and north is Hollywood which are mainly immigrant, lower income areas with some gangs. Usually there are several transitional blocks before it starts to get bad, but overall isnt like super bad.

Next you have Baldwin Hills and the areas around the hills known as the "Black Beverly Hills" with very nice large homes and many famous Black people who lived there but to the south you have Inglewood and Crenshaw/South LA to the east. and "The Jungle" to the north from movie Training Day. Though things arent as bad as like the 80s, 90s since the changing demographics and gentrification of the area.

Franklin Hills/Los Feliz are quite nice areas but to the south is East Hollywood which is not very good.

University Park/USC/Exposition Park is a major university and museum area but surrounded by bad areas.

Downtown LA is pretty much in transition where most new mid-high rise buildings are popping up with high rents and condo prices and hip restaurants, bars, cafes but surrounded by not good areas like West lake, South Central, Pico Union Lincoln and Boyle Heights. and right in the middle is a huge area called Skid Row. But Downtown probably has the most noticable "stones throw" difference. One street can be ok and nice but the next street over is WTF.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,629,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
These are so common it's almost not worth discussing.

I remember many years ago, I had just moved to Los Angeles and was driving through a really abysmal neighborhood, just awful looking. I realized I was lost, and this was before GPS existed, so I did what I always did -- made a turn onto a side street so I could pull out my map and figure out where I was. As soon as I made the turn, I noticed I was on an immaculate block with perfectly landscaped multimillion-dollar houses and luxury cars parked everywhere.

I grew up in an affluent oceanfront town on Long Island that was right across the bridge from a rough part of Queens. A few months ago, I went back home to visit my parents, and my dad wanted to take the subway into Manhattan from that neighborhood. I realized I'd never even been there. It was only a couple of miles away from the house where I'd lived for years as a teenager!
Long Island and Queens are not separated by a bridge, Queens is actually on the landmass of Long Island, but not the area of Long Island colloquially referred to as Long Island, if that makes sense.

I'm curious as to what neighborhood you're talking about anyway, I can't think of any border areas of Queens that are particularly bad. The one exception might be Far Rockaway, which is not too far from some affluent Long Island towns.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,629,878 times
Like someone else said, these are so common that they're not even noteworthy, but the best example I can think of is the Upper East Side (nice) in Manhattan which borders East Harlem (not so nice).

Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,848,119 times
Biscayne Boulevard heading north out of DT Miami was traditionally a demarcation of wealth vs poverty with the east side (bay side) being wealthy while the west side was typically poor and struggling.
While there still exists a gap in wealth and perceptions, the delta between the two is fading as the western side of Biscayne Boulevard continues to rapidly gentrify. Soon enough the demarcation line will be I-95, a mile or so to Biscayne Boulevard's west.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:13 PM

8,121 posts, read 17,355,332 times
Delmar Boulevard in St. Louis easily encapsulates this criteria more than any single street I have visited. You go from this to this in 0.6 miles:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/788+...9!2d38.6461543

It's such a well known and stark divide that there is even a Wikipedia page dedicated to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmar_Divide

Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM

3,259 posts, read 1,642,717 times
c
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Palo Alto and East Palo Alto. While crime is lower today EPA had the highest murder rate in the country in 1992. Palo Alto is home to Stanford University and full of multi-million dollar homes.

As far as SD/TJ, there really isn't much residential housing along the SD side of the border. It's mostly industrial/commercial. Though this decent-looking middle class neighborhood: https://goo.gl/maps/op6r6kG23gz is about 1,500 feet away (as the crow-flies) from this: https://goo.gl/maps/CbqdRqAySmm . Either way not sure I'd call any of the areas within a mile or two of the border in SD "excellent".
I have stayed in San Ysidro before because of the much lower motel rates, they go as low as $45 a night in the area.

San Ysidro where the large outlet mall surprised me because it has alot of apartment buildings in the area.

There are some decent parts of San Ysidro, but some of it quite run-down. Overall, it is not a rough neighborhood but isn't a polished neighborhood that's for sure.

It sort of felt like South Albuqerque, where I didn't feel unsafe and it wasn't dirty but was outdated and a tad bit sketchy and had a really southwestern look to it.

It is so odd staying in San Ysidro which is in a bowl and just a mile or two up the hill on in Tijuana is some of the most violent neighborhoods in North America.

I mean I didn't feel unsafe in San Ysidro at all, but it was just hard to believe that a couple of hundred yards away were some the roughest neighborhoods on the planet and yet it was relatively calm on the San Diego side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or