U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Upstate NY is just your typical rust belt.

Downstate Illinois feels like Kentucky. People even have southern accents.
It depends on what part you are referring to. Some parts can be quite white collar as well, such as Rochester, Albany and Ithaca, as well as parts of other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 PM

183 posts, read 163,486 times
Illinois gets more Kentucky like in the Paducah/Carbondale DMA which includes most of the area along and south of I-64 (minus the areas adjacent to St. Louis). I would describe that area as an Upper South/Midwest hybrid. Overall the area is forested similar to western Kentucky, rural, pretty religious, has more of a Scotish-Irish ancestry compared to areas of northern and central IL. I do notice that the area overall is either indifferent and in some cases hostile to the city of Chicago. I'm not familiar with upstate New York at all, so I can't comment on how it compares to IL. I think a lot of it has to deal with the sharp divide between urban residents and rural residents that is going on currently nationwide.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:19 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,475,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Illinois gets more Kentucky like in the Paducah/Carbondale DMA which includes most of the area along and south of I-64 (minus the areas adjacent to St. Louis). I would describe that area as an Upper South/Midwest hybrid. Overall the area is forested similar to western Kentucky, rural, pretty religious, has more of a Scotish-Irish ancestry compared to areas of northern and central IL. I do notice that the area overall is either indifferent and in some cases hostile to the city of Chicago. I'm not familiar with upstate New York at all, so I can't comment on how it compares to IL. I think a lot of it has to deal with the sharp divide between urban residents and rural residents that is going on currently nationwide.
But that is a very, very small portion of the downstate population. That lion's share of the downstate IL population is either in central IL (greater than 1 million people) or the Metro East (700K people), and there's nothing southern about either of those populations.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,546,799 times
Seems Chicago in Illinois, still has its southern 1/2 and especially its southern 1/3? Basically disconnected from Chicagoland. Whether it's just - indifferent? Or blame it - rather then - see it as a Great American City in their own State.

Politically, it's disconnect is pretty standard for US cities from more rural parts of their states too. But the divide is really worst in how Illinois has such a just too "long" northern/southern stretch.

Most states are more east/west in distance. East/West states or wider are more common and generally have more likenesses then the far stretches of a state like Illinois. Just seems the -----> getting no respect aspect is greater for Chicagoland and its greater distances to the south? Then NYC gets from its Upstate NY.

Illinois is unusual again ----> in its north/south distances. Why at least? Far Northern Illinois - "as originally was to have Illinois end meeting the Indiana line. Was where it should have been. One man got it changed to give Illinois more lucrative Lake Michigan shipping access.

Still my opinion.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 AM

295 posts, read 204,147 times
Upstate NY actually has scenic areas and nice towns

Downstate Illinois = Iowa/Kentucky.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
So why is he openly hostile to the right?

Quote from Cuomo himself- "conservative Republicans have no place in the state of New York, because thatís not who New Yorkers are."

He's full of it.
The republican Nassau county executive endorsed Cuomo, wouldn't have done so if he was an actual far-leftist. He also endorsed trump early on in the primaries

Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
Upstate NY actually has scenic areas and nice towns

Downstate Illinois = Iowa/Kentucky.
Kentucky isn't scenic?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:09 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The republican Nassau county executive endorsed Cuomo, wouldn't have done so if he was an actual far-leftist. He also endorsed trump early on in the primaries
Fact remains he hasn't told any liberals that they don't belong here.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wasn't Cuomo's opponent blatantly racist as well?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Wasn't Cuomo's opponent blatantly racist as well?
in 2010; not really for 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or