Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:49 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times

Advertisements

I think you should make a choice of where to live based on 1) where you can find good-paying work (you don't say what your field is), 2) where you can also find a diverse population with a fair number of middle-class black people (for the psychic comfort as well as the dating pool) and 3) what size city you want to be in.

I don't know Cleveland or Pittsburgh at all, but it seems as if you're looking for smaller cities, so maybe I'd also check out some larger, more diverse, relatively liberal college towns like Ann Arbor MI, Ithaca NY, Cambridge MA, Evanston IL. or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill in North Carolina, which is obviously a region and not a single town.

I also don't know a lot of smaller cities really well, but the ones I've either been to or heard good things about include Columbus, Denver, Minneapolis, Oakland, Baltimore, and Providence.

Of course if you want big cities there are plenty to choose from. Just round up the usual suspects: Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, New York, Phoenix, Los Angeles...It would be just a matter of preferences around weather, culture, distance from family, urban amenities, etc. But you'd likely find the life you want in the right neighborhood in any of these cities once you found the right employment.

But there are plenty of folks everywhere that have some bad preconceived notions of what black folk are supposed to be. Unfortunately, in America there is no escaping that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 PM

56 posts, read 57,647 times
I work for an engineering firm in Seattle.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
I got that exact same feeling in Seattle. It certainly isn't as open and accepting as I thought, unless people were drunk or high.
Unfortunately, you will find that in many cities. I would shoot for the larger more diverse cities like LA, Chicago, NYC. I feel like LA would be best, Chicago is so segregated that it might not be much better. Never been to NYC but it's much more diverse than the PNW.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM

That's some great advice. Yeah I was thinking some larger cities at first and then I realized that my family in DC and Boston are still paying off their mortgages well into their 40s. Owning a home is important for me, some places offer this at a fraction!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 AM

And yeah I have some mixed feelings about Seattle. I have been called racist slurs out here. Some ex friends even told me their parents were surprised they had black friends. They call it being "traditional". I think there's alot brewing under the surface out here and I want no part in it

Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,735,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagers234 View Post
That's some great advice. Yeah I was thinking some larger cities at first and then I realized that my family in DC and Boston are still paying off their mortgages well into their 40s. Owning a home is important for me, some places offer this at a fraction!
Boston isn't that big tbh. Roughly similar in population to Seattle and similarly priced in terms of housing

Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 AM

A quick search tells me that Boston is one of the top ten most expensive places to live in the U.S. one of the most expensive Even in the world for that matter. The median price of homes is over half a million...

Old 02-18-2017, 12:33 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,735,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagers234 View Post
A quick search tells me that Boston is one of the top ten most expensive places to live in the U.S. one of the most expensive Even in the world for that matter. The median price of homes is over half a million...
There was an article not to long ago that said Seattle surpassed Boston

Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,550 times
Atlanta might be a fit. Good sized educated black population, good jobs, low cost. It's southern though so you might dislike the culture. Houston also comes to mind and you'd do well there as an engineer.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 10,451 times
PNW is great for black guys in my experience, it seems like almost every white girl I've known from places like Oregon and Washington has loved going for black men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.