Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,456 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to hog up the other race thread posted by a black man and wanted to make this more about being my ethnic background.

I am in many ways an unstereotypical brown man, born in the UK (sorry no English accent), raised in the midatlantic, and went to college in the midwest. Before college, I felt a bit left out in regards to social life. In high school I found that I had a rough time in general and it wasn't a pleasant experience. My only option for the most part was to only hang out with other Indians and Pakistanis, that was about it. I noticed this to be true in general for most people of my background, they only hung out with other people of their background.

Wasn't until I got to college that I started making friends of various backgrounds and started making a lot of white friends, oddly enough in the midwest I wasn't encountering any hostility and I made some close friends.

Then again, this was in a college setting where people tend to be more open minded and cool about social life, college in general just seems to be like that. I saw Indians, Asians, whites, blacks, and Hispanics hanging out with each other without much issues. It was a hell of an experience.

I found that I liked this a lot more, nothing against people of my own background, but I just loved hanging out with people of various races and backgrounds as well as dating women of different races and backgrounds (something I never saw brown men do in the northeast). That's something else I found a bit odd, despite the whole talk about being progressive, there was a pretty strong stigma attached to dating an Indian man where I grew up, even a lot of more westernized Indian women hated Indian guys and opted to go for other races.

Right now, I've moved back home after college for a few months to care for a family member but in a few months, other family members of mines will come in and they say they would like for me to spread my wings and get out of this place.

I majored in a high in demand field to where I can find decent paying work just about anywhere.

While I could move back to the college town I went to college in back in the midwest, I feel like it's not going to be the same since I no longer go to college there and there is not much outside of college life there anyways.

Any good cities worth checking out for a guy like me?

I hear Chicago seems welcoming for Indian guys who are assimilated and I've heard a lot of good things about Seattle as well.

A friend of mines told me that southern cities can be good too if you're assimilated since no one really holds any ill will towards Indian people, SC and LA are both states that had Indian governors and I've always gotten along well with the few people I met from Louisiana!

Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Governor Jindal I would imagine would be a disgrace to Indian people. His portrait in the mansion was purposely whitened to an unbelievable level. He is not popular here even to Republicans.

You can pretty much go anywhere, give more specifics on a city that you would want to live in.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 10,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Governor Jindal I would imagine would be a disgrace to Indian people. His portrait in the mansion was purposely whitened to an unbelievable level. He is not popular here even to Republicans.

You can pretty much go anywhere, give more specifics on a city that you would want to live in.
I am looking for a city with a thriving younger population of people in their 20s. Was thinking of NYC but I am kinda tired of being in the Mid-Atlantic since I grew up there.

Think Austin would be good for me?

Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Austin is ok, it's not diverse at all and it seems to cater more to college aged people. It's a great place though and you may love it, I prefer a more well rounded city. Generally lots to do and it's pretty, young population will keep you active. Last time I was there I barely remember my trip soo yeahh. LOL

Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 57,703 times
Lol two minds do think alike. You noticed but I did post about being a black male in Seattle. Heres another part of that story, going to a wealthy private school in the seattle area i still do have friends that are Indian. These are men and women that went to the UW and other colleges around washington. One of my friends posted a couple years back on social media of the kinds of slurs he has witnessed except it was in a very passsive agressive manner he mentioned, some of my other friends mentioned this too. Also a common complain among them is that the well to do women of their race seemed to exclusively go for white men around here, a complaint that I have among black women. I cant comment on what its like being brown or if there is the stigma that I have noticed that a good amount of women seem to have about dating a black man in this area. I cant comment on the other social life aspects of this as I rarely see Indian Americans around here to be honest. I have heard good things about Atlanta for blacks, maybe that extends to brown people as well?

The world is the way that it is, I dont think america will improve that much with regards to race relations. I think some of the best options for minorities who feel out of place are to suck it up and then when they have the means to, head overseas. I hear when you go overseas you are oftentimes seen as not Indian, or black in my case, but an American for better or worse.

Last edited by Snagers234; 02-18-2017 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 06:12 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
If you can get a good paying job the Bay Area is made for you. San Fran, Berkeley, Oakland, San Jose, are all places where ethnic groups mix pretty freely and with little overt hostility. All those "bay area brown" babies are apparently a testament to this. I'm sure there will be some racial friction somewhere there along the line. But not much according to what I've seen, and I am there on a regular basis. Inter racial dating is more than common there. It seems almost mandatory.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:21 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Why, there have been a plethora of similar threads about 'brown men' and racism (and dating of blond women) on this very subforum! Perhaps you should do a search to see if you can find those threads.....

Old 02-18-2017, 06:58 PM

56 posts, read 57,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Why, there have been a plethora of similar threads about 'brown men' and racism (and dating of blond women) on this very subforum! Perhaps you should do a search to see if you can find those threads.....
My issue with this is your reference to blond women, seemed kinda tongue in cheek so im going to show you why you are wrong. Lets face it there arent alot of indian men in Seattle and around the U.S. While it seems my situation is different likewise there arent a ton of educated black men in the U.S. If it seems that women of our own races who are desirable wont even go near us, then yes we have to after other women, which just so happens to include blondes. I cant relate to OP and his race and what he has had to go through, but I can relate as a man who is interested in attractive women and seems at a geographic disadvantage

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagers234 View Post
My issue with this is your reference to blond women, seemed kinda tongue in cheek so im going to show you why you are wrong. Lets face it there arent alot of indian men in Seattle and around the U.S. While it seems my situation is different likewise there arent a ton of educated black men in the U.S. If it seems that women of our own races who are desirable wont even go near us, then yes we have to after other women, which just so happens to include blondes. I cant relate to OP and his race and what he has had to go through, but I can relate as a man who is interested in attractive women and seems at a geographic disadvantage
My reference to blonds has to do with the OP and his history of posting on this particular subforum. I'm sure other long time members will remember many, many posts on this exact topic. I would tell you that you could look back at some of those posts but the majority of those have been deleted.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliwasbig View Post
I am looking for a city with a thriving younger population of people in their 20s. Was thinking of NYC but I am kinda tired of being in the Mid-Atlantic since I grew up there.

Think Austin would be good for me?
Houston should work better for you. It has a thriving Desi social scene and lots of young professional transplants from other parts of the country. The social scene for the transplant community should be as integrated as those in the other major cities. The "native" Asians I thought are a bit cliquish but that's probably the case with all of the other cities with large Asian populations.
The job market may not be the greatest though this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.