U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,026,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the West Coast, San Francisco is by far the most Northeastern feeling. The city was mostly founded by New England Yankees who took the long way around before the Panama Canal. Some of the older vernacular architecture is thus very similar to Boston. The city historically had its own localized accent which was New England influenced, but it has faded over time. And of course it's dense and walkable in its core in a way that no other city west of the Rockies is.
where in San Francisco is the vernacular architecture Boston-like? I can't remember anything clearly Boston-like over say, Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM

12,445 posts, read 11,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
where in San Francisco is the vernacular architecture Boston-like? I can't remember anything clearly Boston-like over say, Philadelphia.
San Francisco's Victorian urban vernacular is mostly wood, which makes it similar to Boston's once you get past the immediate area outside of Downtown. I don't see a tremendous difference between say this in South Boston and this in Haight-Ashbury. It's not a perfect match - San Francisco has its own style which cannot be confused with anywhere else. But the building style is closer to something you'd see in Boston than any other city.

Last edited by eschaton; 02-21-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,854,830 times
Boston is hella gnarly bruh

Old 02-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not that familiar with the Midwest, but couldn't the same be said for rural Wisconsin at least as much? The rolling hills with farmland in Wisconsin look a bit like upstate NY but the hills aren't as big and the towns don't feel as old.
Yeah I am not super familiar with a lot of Wisconsin except Milwaukee and the driftless area which are two very unique places in their own way.

I suppose Milwaukee COULD be considered as it has a lot of Poles and Puerto Ricans.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually the north woods of the Midwest is not just Michigan, add to it is Wisconsin and Minnesota. ( northern half of these three states). These areas do look somewhat like upper New York and northern New England, especially Maine. However the upper Midwest is quite different culturally, it is far more German and Scandinavian than is the north woods of the northeast states. The accent is also quite different. Climate wise the Midwest is much colder in the winter, the average new englander would find Minnesota or Michigan to be quite brutal in he weather category.
I was just going to say the highlighted. When the OP asked the question, I immediately thought of the North Woods and lakes/rivers of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. They are all similar to parts of New York, Maine and a few areas like the lake area of New Hampshire.

Another thing that is similar is that Michigan, Wisconsin and New York all have a lot of dairy farms with milk/cheese production (not sure about Minnesota and Maine). Its actually not surprising because if you look at a map, those three states are all roughly on the same latitude.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah I am not super familiar with a lot of Wisconsin except Milwaukee and the driftless area which are two very unique places in their own way.

I suppose Milwaukee COULD be considered as it has a lot of Poles and Puerto Ricans.
The older portions of Milwaukee remind me of a slightly less structurally dense Newark. Except Milwaukee has absolutely nothing like Ironbound,

Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,140,873 times
I am a Northeast native who has traveled all over the country. IMO if I am to identify any places outside the Northeast that are "northeastern," I would say the following:

Cleveland/Akron, OH
Baltimore to some degree, but it feels a bit southern to me
St. Louis downtown sort of looks and feels northeastern to me
Southeast FL arguably has similar culture and pace to the coastal northeast (similar to Long Island IMO)

But even these places still identify better with their respective regions, for the most part. But Cleveland is 90% northeastern IMO, just in a more blue collar way.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a Northeast native who has traveled all over the country. IMO if I am to identify any places outside the Northeast that are "northeastern," I would say the following:

Cleveland/Akron, OH
Baltimore to some degree, but it feels a bit southern to me
St. Louis downtown sort of looks and feels northeastern to me
Southeast FL arguably has similar culture and pace to the coastal northeast (similar to Long Island IMO)

But even these places still identify better with their respective regions, for the most part. But Cleveland is 90% northeastern IMO, just in a more blue collar way.
Seems like Northeast to you means Coastal.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,725,659 times
Northeastern Iowa has hills and Catholics, more politically moderate, grades into SW Wisconsin and the northwestern-most couple of counties of Illinois. Dubuque sometimes felt like it was next to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Quad Cities (Davenport/Rock Island/Moline etc.) are outposts of the greater Lakes/Rust Belt, not so very different from Erie PA, or Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse NY.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Boston is hella gnarly bruh
What context are you using gnarly here? It's one of those words that can be used in the positive or negative sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.