U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 PM

4,649 posts, read 3,627,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Not sure that flatness is necessarily region specific when you say Chicago is prairie flat. South Jersey is pretty darn flat and I was using that as the reference point. After the fall line the Northeast gets Chicago flat quickly. I was referring to the post industrial landscape that Northwest Indiana/the Calumet shares with Jersey.
I get what your saying, south jersey is flat, the coastal plain vs. the vast flatness of the Chicago region and beyond. But the Indiana/Calumet industrial landscape is the same as any other post industrial city/area/region ie Youngstown as much as Detroit.

When I see NW Indiana I don't think ''gee, this reminds me of Jersey." I don't see the unique connection to the Northeast U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:33 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,864,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I get what your saying, south jersey is flat, the coastal plain vs. the vast flatness of the Chicago region and beyond. But the Indiana/Calumet industrial landscape is the same as any other post industrial city/area/region ie Youngstown as much as Detroit.

When I see NW Indiana I don't think ''gee, this reminds me of Jersey." I don't see the unique connection to the Northeast U.S.
Well yes in essence the Rust Belt spans the Mid-Atlantic and the Upper Midwest so Indiana isn't specifically the only place. But I also haven't spent considerable time in Northern Ohio or lots of Eastern Michigan so I am only going off my experience. I would say though that Northwest Indiana is more like Jersey than it is like the rest of the state.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
OP is asking for places OUTSIDE the NE
Let's not do this lol

Old 02-21-2017, 05:41 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,800,721 times
In Southern California:

Pasadena, CA
San Marino, CA
Claremont, CA

In Northern California:

Berkeley, CA
Palo Alto, CA
Mountain View, CA

Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM
_OT

2,147 posts, read 1,530,781 times
In the South, Birmingham maybe?

Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 PM

627 posts, read 275,243 times
Quote:
Let's not do this lol
oh come on nobody thinks md is anything but northern...

anyways, south florida.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,760,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I get what your saying, south jersey is flat, the coastal plain vs. the vast prairie flatness of the Chicago area. But the Indiana/Calumet industrial landscape is the same as any other post industrial city/area/region ie Youngstown as much as Detroit.

I don't either. New Jersey, despite the blue collar stereotype, is mostly quite affluent and white collar. It is in fact one of the most affluent states.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I don't either. New Jersey, despite the blue collar stereotype, is mostly quite affluent and white collar. It is in fact one of the most affluent states.
That's why I specifically singled out the area of Jersey that isn't really that.

Also these days most people that live in NW Indiana are commuters to Chicago and they aren't working in factories. Again, POST industrial.

Also, to everyone else, you DO realize that if other places share similarities with the Northeast (like Cleveland) , that doesn't in any way mean lessen the existing similarities of different locales. The point of the thread is to add to what I said. Just because similar places exist elsewhere has no bearing on what I said. At all.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,172,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
oh come on nobody thinks md is anything but northern...

anyways, south florida.
I think that they think that MD is fighting for shot at becoming a northeastern state, but the south seems to be the booming region of the country. MD is better off as a southern state.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,760,016 times
Quote:
South Side of Chicago: it has that gritty Rust Belt look with abandoned steel mills, plus the Calumet region has a Jerseyish character wherein forested areas can border industrialized areas and all can occupy the same area at once. Northwest Indiana (greater Chicago) has a look similar to South Jersey around Philly. Industrial Indiana in general has some Jersey traits in and of itself. On the Illinois side, you've got places like the South suburbs of Chicago that are very much like South Jersey suburbs of Philly. And in Indiana, Gary and East Chicago are eerily like Camden.
OK, having re-read this I see you were comparing South Jersey and NW Indiana. I guess I assumed you were comparing North Jersey given that it has a blue collar stereotype.

Still I'm not sure I would call South Side of Chicago and NW Indiana as "Northeast-like" - this area seems very quintessentially (rust belt) Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.