U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Maryland is part of the North East. It's just not part of New England.
MD is the south my friend. It's largest region, the Baltimore area, is a staunchly southern metro. And we don't want to be like the Northeast.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 05-18-2017 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
MD is the south my friend. It's largest region, the Baltimore area, is a staunchly southern metro. And we don't want to be like the Northeast.
You need to exchange "we" with "I". You're quite the broken record on this, my friend.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM

2,795 posts, read 1,638,934 times
Quote:
Are you the one who keeps insisting on this. You do realize the MASS MAJORITY of people from Maryland would disagree with you on this right? People from Northern Virginia don't even like being considered southern.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You need to exchange "we" with "I". You're quite the broken record on this, my friend.
I would exchange it with "I" if I was the only person who thought this.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Are you the one who keeps insisting on this. You do realize the MASS MAJORITY of people from Maryland would disagree with you on this right? People from Northern Virginia don't even like being considered southern.
I'm sure that they disagree with what I'm saying, but they can't tell you how and why Northern VA and Maryland isn't southern. The south, in 2017, is a Juggernaut.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM

381 posts, read 509,914 times
As others have noted, Northeast Ohio definitely has New England character. Lots of town squares, Unitarian churches, factory towns etc.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,845,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
As others have noted, Northeast Ohio definitely has New England character. Lots of town squares, Unitarian churches, factory towns etc.
Ohio in general. I live in Cincinnati and it is basically like Philly and Pittsburgh (topography like Pitt and people with very Pennsylvania like attitudes). It is little c conservative though unlike Cleveland. But that is just because of not only the historic Kentucky transplants but also the historic German population, most of whom vote Republican. Other than that Cincinnati could fit in the Northeast without a problem in my opinion. Pennsylvania would be an OK home for Cincinnati though and not anything in New England. In a way the little c conservatism still reeks of Pennsylvania because I always felt PA had a less obnoxious conservative undertone. Not only amongst Germans but also many Italians who seem very old school.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:52 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,654,626 times
It's the strangest and most comical thing to see MD/D.C. people constantly arguing about whether they're Northern or Southern in every thread. It's bound to come up and set off a nerve anytime a thread mentions Northeast and doesn't include MD/DC or mentions the South and does include MD/DC. Notice how people from Delaware act normal and don't seem to care either way where people classify them. City Data is a trip!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's the strangest and most comical thing to see MD/D.C. people constantly arguing about whether they're Northern or Southern in every thread. It's bound to come up and set off a nerve anytime a thread mentions Northeast and doesn't include MD/DC or mentions the South and does include MD/DC. Notice how people from Delaware act normal and don't seem to care either way where people classify them. City Data is a trip!
I one reason that Delaware is so quiet on the matter is that they're considered an extension of Philly, so they're northeastern by default. MD on the other hand, outside of the DC area, is culturally self-contained. That self contained culture is what where the debates comes from. I personally think that MD is southern, but it isn't your stereotypical southern state, similar to how Florida is perceived. I think some people in MD, and many more outside of it, have an incredibly difficult time grasping that reality. I also think that it speaks to how RIDICULOUSLY diverse the south really is.

You're a Baltimore area native, what do you think?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,638,934 times
Quote:
I'm sure that they disagree with what I'm saying, but they can't tell you how and why Northern VA and Maryland isn't southern. The south, in 2017, is a Juggernaut.
I haven't heard a convincing argument from you yet as to why those areas are southern. Why are you so insistent on it? Maryland never seceded from the union anyway. Northern Virginia may have been somewhat southern prior to 1960, but it clearly isn't anymore. Even the rural areas of Maryland still have more in common with upstate NY than they do rural Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.