Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Well let's see how Chicago and NW Indiana have more characteristics reminiscent of the Philly area:

They both have more density than their respective states
They both are faster paced than the rest of their respective states
They both have a very industrial heritage (which yes the Northeast is known for especially the Mid-Atlantic portion)
They have higher concentrations of White ethnics (Italians, Irish, Poles, Eastern Europeans)
There is a lot of forested area juxtaposed with industrial remains (compare the Indiana National Lakeshore with the Pine Barrens)
They both have suburbs which show decay (Gary, Camden) while the main city has shifted from one industry to multiple

So I think that the NW/Calumet region shares more than a few similarities with the Philly metro.

Bonus: Both Indiana and New Jersey are known in their respective areas as the "armpit of America"
Only to idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,771,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I one reason that Delaware is so quiet on the matter is that they're considered an extension of Philly, so they're northeastern by default. MD on the other hand, outside of the DC area, is culturally self-contained. That self contained culture is what where the debates comes from. I personally think that MD is southern, but it isn't your stereotypical southern state, similar to how Florida is perceived. I think some people in MD, and many more outside of it, have an incredibly difficult time grasping that reality. I also think that it speaks to how RIDICULOUSLY diverse the south really is.

You're a Baltimore area native, what do you think?
I grew up in Howard County, and have lived in DC, Bmore, Philly, Michigan and now Chicago...... I still visit family frequently in the MD/DC area and honestly the North/South thing never comes up in everyday conversation in MD/DC.

It's officially classified as Southern by the census, and despite what people on this site say, I know a good number of people from the northeast and Midwest that consider it southern, even if people from the south don't.

It just seems strange to harp on whether it's classified as northern/southern so much. I can see why some would consider it southern and why some would consider it northern, so I don't understand the sensitive responses to its location in all these threads; it comes off as insecurity and wanna-be-ish.

I agree with your assessment of Delaware, but even if Delaware isn't included in the NE on some these threads (or is included as Southern), you don't see Delaware posters getting sensitive and going off-topic for pages to argue that they are pat of the NE.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I grew up in Howard County, and have lived in DC, Bmore, Philly, Michigan and now Chicago...... I still visit family frequently in the MD/DC area and honestly the North/South thing never comes up in everyday conversation in MD/DC.

It's officially classified as Southern by the census, and despite what people on this site say, I know a good number of people from the northeast and Midwest that consider it southern, even if people from the south don't.

It just seems strange to harp on whether it's classified as northern/southern so much. I can see why some would consider it southern and why some would consider it northern, so I don't understand the sensitive responses to its location in all these threads; it comes off as insecurity and wanna-be-ish.

I agree with your assessment of Delaware, but even if Delaware isn't included in the NE on some these threads (or is included as Southern), you don't see Delaware posters getting sensitive and going off-topic for pages to argue that they are pat of the NE.
The words in bold are mainly coming from the DC area. In reality, people in Baltimore don't really care either way, but on City Data, most of us are city geeks, so we'll do some deliberating. I personally don't see the why some posters are fighting so hard to be a part of the northeast ,though; the south is and will continue you to be the hottest region in the country (no pun intended) for the foreseeable future.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 2,752,146 times
Chicago's north shore, and neighborhoods like Lincoln Park give off a very east coast vibe.

If you squint a little, colonial cities like Savanah and Charleston might feel somewhat like the Northeast. Only downtown and only on couple of streets though.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Why isn't there ever a debate about which northeastern city is the most southern, or what non-southern city is the most southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.