U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 1,844 times

Advertisements

I was raised in the Memphis, Tennessee area. I lived in Portland/Seattle for 5 years. I could never get adjusted to the lack of sun for the 8 months there is rarely sun! It actually depressed me. So I put in a transfer with my job to the twin cities, been here for 3 years and can't stand the severe cold. I'm currently waiting on a transfer to Atlanta. I recommend the Southeast at elevation above 1,000 feet or more. East TN, North GA or Western NC would be ideal. Good prices on homes too. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM

7,600 posts, read 9,459,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post
David - I have actually looked into Coeur De'Alene (I know I butchered that) and Boise by the way. Gorgeous area, affordable, good schools from what I've seen, just concerned over how remote it can be and not very progressive or liberal. I think ultimately my goal would be to find somewhere more progressive/liberal than MN.
My impression of Minnesota is that it's pretty progressive, as it's voted "blue" for many years in presidential elections. Certainly more progressive than anything in Idaho..

Otherwise, Chicago might be an answer, or perhaps the Capital District in NY (Albany). Both can get quite cold at times, and Albany is certainly snowy, but the cost of housing is relatively low.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 PM

722 posts, read 510,926 times
Not Albuquerque. The school system is terrible! I'm serious. We left for the sake of our kids.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 AM

44 posts, read 42,156 times
@Doodlemom - Agreed!!! I BRIEFLY considered santa fe but think I will pass on New Mexico as a whole ...

@MassVT Thank you! We considered the east coast as well. LOVE Maine and Vermont, absolutely gorgeous, good schools, did not look into New York at all. Chicago is too cold lol, that is considered a lateral move to me!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Yes, Virginia might qualify ( although metro DC is very expensive, and VA would have hot/humid summers), and Oregon/Washington might as well. But frankly, outside of winter weather, the Twin Cities seem to fit most of your criteria. Your "requirements" of having a progressive atmosphere with a somewhat moderate climate tend to leave you with congested, expensive areas which aren't in your budget.

Reconsider what the Twin Cities offer. You might be better off right where you are.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:03 PM

44 posts, read 42,156 times
MassVT- MN is wonderful in many ways, it really is. I've been here 28 years. The downfall for me though is the hibernation from Nov-April. It truly sucks during those months! You can ice fish. Or play hockey, but that's about it. It eats away at your cars and the infrastructure. When it's below 30 degrees consistently for 5 months (2 of which are usually 0-20 degrees), and then rainy/wet/windy for 4 more months of the year, you get a solid 3 months of half sunny half rainy hot humid. It's just not enough dry sunny days for me. On top of that, we are struggling finding housing we can afford with a large enough yard that isn't an hour or more outside of the city. But in all other aspects, I do love MN !

Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
My impression of Minnesota is that it's pretty progressive, as it's voted "blue" for many years in presidential elections. Certainly more progressive than anything in Idaho..

Otherwise, Chicago might be an answer, or perhaps the Capital District in NY (Albany). Both can get quite cold at times, and Albany is certainly snowy, but the cost of housing is relatively low.
As for the bigger Upstate NY areas, the Albany area actually has the lowest average annual snowfall total. This can vary within these areas though(south of Buffalo(Southtowns) and north of Syracuse(Oswego County) get higher average annual snowfall totals, for examples).

Given what the OP is looking for, in the Albany area, I'd say to look into Colonie(North and South), Niskayuna, Guilderland and Saratoga Springs. Perhaps Menands as well(have option to go to Watervliet, Shaker High in North Colonie or Tech Valley High for HS). Albany's airport is actually in Colonie, which is a town with about 82,000 people.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-24-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 10:03 AM

If your budget is 260K, for 3 BRs, then that would eliminate many progressive, moderate-weather metro areas in the East. Even in Chicago, that would be a difficult find. Seattle, Portland ( even Portland, ME), Denver all seem out of your range, as well as NoVA. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Milwaukee, St. Louis might fit the bill, but frankly, Minneapolis seems more attractive than any of those.

If this is about wanderlust, that's one thing. It seems that this is more about combining affordability with weather and progressivism, and that's where you run into limits.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:40 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,782,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post
We are a family of four living in MN (our entire life). We have 2 small kids and 2 dogs. I have employment that allows me to work anywhere in the US, my husband would need a job but he is in the financial/banking industry so he is flexible. We plan on listing our home here this spring but are having issues trying to decide where to relocate to. Our main reasons for relocating are that the winters up here are too harsh, we do not have access to enough activities during Nov-April. We were dead set on Colorado Springs but after looking at the schools/housing affordability near good schools/availability of land in our budget, we feel sort of turned off to Colorado. It's a gorgeous area but just not quite our first choice anymore. We looked into Salt Lake City but are turned off by the amount of religious interference within schools and government. We have nothing against Mormons, I actually really enjoy SLC and find Mormons to be the nicest and most accepting people, but we are firm believers in separation of church and state.

I'm hoping if I put a list below of things that are important to us, people can chime in and offer some ideas of good metro areas that seem to fit our needs (or mostly fit) They are in order of importance.

-Forgiving Climate (By this I mean winters mostly above freezing. Don't mind snow, just hate the ice cold. We love warm weather but don't necessarily enjoy Summer-In-Florida warm)

-Adequate access to average/above average schools from elementary and up.

-Primarily a Progressive/Liberal area. I'm aware there are pockets and areas within each metro that will not fit this requirement, but I'm hoping the majority of the area fits this description.

-Cost of living is not ridiculous, and by ridiculous I mean NYC, LA, San Fran, etc. Denver is about as expensive as we can afford at this point.

-Metro size is average to large. We want to be within 1.5 hours of a major airport, have access to zoos, parks, amenities, access to lakes/ocean possibly? (not required) public transportation (not required but cool)

-Clean. This is lower on my list because I realize that MN is one of the cleanest and least polluted states and I am spoiled by this and have a warped reality of what clean really is. I realize this is all based on opinion but hopefully will find an area that has low smog/pollution.

-An area we can buy a move-in ready 3br home, with at least a quarter acre of land, in a safe neighborhood for $260,000 or less.

The only issue I have is that I feel like I have not explored enough of the USA to really say what cities apply to my criteria. I've been a few places, but not enough which is why I'm hoping to find some opinions and ideas on this board to look into. Also I am 100000% aware that this is all subject to interpretation, I realize that every metro area is seen and experienced differently by everyone. Just hoping to start a discussion/gain some new perspective on areas that I might not have considered.

Thank you!!!

You might want to check out some of the cities in central California.. Fresno and Bakersfield might be a good fit though Sacramento is a bit on the expensive side. Fresno has pretty decent public schools which is a bit surprising given its blue collar base but I guess that news was a few years ago so I'm not sure if it's still so. Yeah, I know California has a stereotype of being expensive but as long as you stay outside of SF, LA, and San Diego, it shouldn't be too bad.

In Texas, look into El Paso or Austin. Austin will probably have better schools than El Paso but will also be more expensive (comparable to Central California.)

All of these places will be HOT in the summer but more of a dry heat if you don't mind that.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 23 days ago)

8,713 posts, read 10,850,989 times
Charlotte, NC is a banking city. Not too big, but not small. Good climate, but some humidity in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or